Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Don't sweat it, kiddos! It's all good!

Comments

• KimKim Posts: 624
    edited March 2020
    I would Jeff

The stock market tanked the biggest in history today

Where is Eric?
  • KimKim Posts: 624
    Oh Dan, Matthew loved Lisbon,Portugal. He spent most of his time there. Surfing
  • moetownmoetown Posts: 3,277
    How long before military vehicles with loudspeakers start showing up reminding us to stay inside?
    “Violators will be apprehended and indefinitely detained.”
  • captqitncaptqitn Posts: 3,629
    (waving arms wildly) Over here, Kimbo!!
    edited March 2020
    Maryland was also locked down yesterday. Bars, restaurants all events with more than 10 people.

I worked from home yesterday. Which was a complete success. Had a more productive day than I usually have in the office.

The plan was to have our team work every other day, but things are escalating quickly especially in the Northeast. I am very hopeful that they will just shut this bullshit down. There is literally no part of my job that requires physical contact.

I hate being in DC right now.
    Enjoying these Yelp reviews Matthew.
    Cheap, BUT the large man who oversees the customer flow (apparently the "boss") at the front HAS NOT HAD A SHOWER IN LIKE A MONTH.
  • Jurf_WurburJurf_Wurbur Posts: 5,494
    To understand what my job is like right now, think about how stressful this all is, how you're worried for the survival of your company, for your job, for how you will get food and make sure your mom doesn't die, how you worry about kids being out of school and how you will explain this in a way that doesn't terrify them.

Now imagine me calling you and asking if you want to talk about signing a new $30,000-100,000 contract.

(You're telling me to go fuck myself right now, aren't you? I understand.)
    Jesus christ.
    I'm trying to be less repellent, leading off with hoping they're okay, and focusing on the things we offer that help people work from home.

But still.
    edited March 2020
    The thing about working for a megacorporation I will never ever get used to is people insisting on talking to me as though I personally *AM* the megacorp, and everything it has ever done I am both responsible for and committed to know about.

You got overcharged for long distance five years ago? I was fixing dishwashers then, but you know, my bad.

Your satellite TV keeps going out in Iowa? I mean, I sell internet for small to medium businesses out of Chicago, but okay, let me look at that for you.

You're very angry about the librul news coverage from the TV news station the company owns? Let me mos def factor that into my decisions as there is a slim chance I might one day be at the back of an auditorium seeing someone speak who indirectly influences that but does not know or care who I am.

I am an enterprise rep setting up high end dedicated internet solutions but yes I am also the right person to ask how your personal cell phone works or whether your personal address will be getting consumer internet soon.

Someone else from my company tried to sell you something six months ago? How don't I know that? You're right. It's silly of me. When all six thousand people in my division went to lunch yesterday, we should have covered you specifically.
    Also, I definitely swim in the endless assets of this Fortune 10 company Scrooge McDuck style every night and am definitely not just a worker bee trying to pay a mortgage.
    Although, I can at least make the case that people need internet and VoIP and VPNs to work from home. T____ does event rentals. And all of those are canceled indefinitely.
  • LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 8,009
    edited March 2020
    I have a kind of out there idea.

If I set up a Zoom account and streamed a movie on it one night, would any of you nerds join?

We can all log in and talk to each other while we watch a movie.
    Assuming life will be back to normal by then, wifey will be out of town sometime in May. I will then have a couple of solitary evenings entirely by myself with absolutely nothing to do but goof off. Last time that happened, I felt bored and lonely, watched a depressing Austrian movie, and then got a bit tipsy and went to bed too early.

So yeah, this nerd would join that.
    I feel like a horrible ghoul calling anyone about anything. But my family has to eat too.
    You should not.
    edited March 2020
    I'm seeing people saying that the relative stability in the number of new cases of coronavirus reported in Italy means it's cresting there.

Is it though? Or were they just testing as many people as they could three days ago and as many people as they can today and thus they only get the same number of results?
    I am literally not an expert. So I guess I'll just hope so?
    It sounds like pressure is mounting to the breaking point at my firm. My boss thinks they will close it completely down in the next couple of days.
    edited March 2020
    As in "no one at all works in the building" close or "cease all operations" close?
    Everyone work from home. Aint nobody shutting this money factory down.
    edited March 2020
    My younger brother is trying to convince my mom to provide seven day a week (and one evening) child care for their five year old along with elder care for his hospice father-in-law along with doing their grocery shopping so he can go to Memphis for two weeks to train for a new job without his wife being "overwhelmed."

There are a variety of things wrong with that, from level of imposition, to her being too old to be an amateur hospice nurse, to coronavirus risk...

But as much as anything else, my head is exploding because this job he thinks is his future is... Direc t v installer.

Guys, just Google that company name and see what the top news results are.

Top one I got was "Direc+V's days are numbered."

It's being phased out starting, uh, now pretty much.
    Maybe he means training as an uninstaller.
    This is like my summer without the hot weather. I never go anywhere anyway because I can’t afford to. I’m sleeping till noon and staying up till the wee hours of the morning.

So, yeah, I feel like a jerk for thinking this, but I’m kinda benefiting from the virus.
    And now we’re getting free money. We are living in incredibly strange times.
    Okay, my job is at least better than the fellow chamber of commerce member who just sent out a 3% coupon on cruises.

Jesus fucking Christ, can you imagine your livelihood depending on cruise sales right now?

GOD DAMN.
  • LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 8,009
    Saw this on the guitar board I frequent:
    89890952_1098180413880208_8618044732045524992_o.jpg
    960 x 931 - 90K
    I know a guy who does food delivery for Caviar and some other one I can’t remember. He was making enough to pay his bills, but he says it’s gone basically dead the last few days.
    edited March 2020
    Megacorp sent us an email letting us know that to prioritize the health of our field techs, their work will be focused on infrastructure repair, installs for government and essential services, and TV installs.

That is good and I commend them for looking out for the nice people working as techs.

But if installs are limited, a person can reasonably ask what it is that I sell now.
    edited March 2020
    The thing that reassures me is, the company does not lay people off without extensive resources to phase them out... stuff that takes months. And since this should be over before that kind of timeline would end, I have to think they'd rather keep me somehow than lay me off, pay me three months severance then rehire me in four months.
    Work is very weird right now. In depth conversations on how best to sell normal business products during a time where normal business does not exist. It feels fake.