Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ZOOM! ZOOM! ZOOM!

Comments

• LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 7,989
    OBAMAGATE, libturds! 8-|
    Well, Montreal kids won't be going back to school before September at least.
  • Jurf_WurburJurf_Wurbur Posts: 5,475
    Sorry about your aunt, cap.
    I went through my FB privacy settings and deleted EVERYTHING. Some of the stuff it thought I was interested in was dead on, some of it was bananas (the Orlando Magic? John McCain?) I have also I liked/unfollowed all pages, leaving only actual friends. I also hide all content from dumbass sources and memes when friends share that. And now I'm clicking Hide Ad for literally every ad.

The net result is that my feed is cleaner, with just stuff from people I know about their actual lives. It's kind of great.

FB is still trying to serve me ads but with less and less info to work from, they have no idea who I am anymore. So instead of it being creepily accurate (Let us recommend you some Eastern European film, Americana Music, and chew toys favored by lab mixes!) it's hilariously off-base.

Here's an ad I just got for a low budget soul singer named Chrissy Luvs and her new single "Yard Man."

https://www.facebook.com/110165130520536/posts/152650499605332/
    TBH, it kind of slaps.
  • captqitncaptqitn Posts: 3,624
    Happy Friday errybody!
    I could probably use some trimming, although I do like having NYT and WP and a few nonprofits in my feed.
  • moetownmoetown Posts: 3,276
    “When you test, you have a case. When you test you find something is wrong with people. If we didn’t do any testing, we would have very few cases.”
    It’s hard to believe that he actually said this.
    edited May 2020
    Try clicking into the dots next to an ad then choosing Hide Ad. After you do that, choose make changes to your ad preferences then click into Your Interests. That's where you see all of the stuff FB thinks you like and bases its ads to you on.
    There were 1,148 "interests" they had for me, ranging from logical/obvious specific things like "Major League Baseball" and "Jason Isbell" to vague ideas like "social justice" or "active parenting" to head scratchers like "Strong Affinity for African American Culture" and "vegetarian food."

Even if you don't feel like cleaning yours out, you can turn off the insane stuff and probably make your ads more interesting.
    Again, so glad I’m not on Facebook anymore.
    Country music, beauty pageants, reality shows. Yep, they got me alllll figured out.
    I’ve been watching some stuff here. Especially great for accessing Asian cinema. Lots of classic old stuff, too.

https://fsharetv.co/
    speaking of FB ads and Asian cinema, I find myself pretty curious about the new Snowpiercer series. It being on TNT makes me a bit nervous, but I'd like for it to be good.
    Man, I loved Snowpiercer.
    Yeah. I can still dial back those weird emotions it gave me.
    What weird emotions?
    edited May 2020
    Finally the president has recognized the great efforts of your nation's most noble warriors in the fight against islamochinocoronafascism!!!
    Thank you to all of my great Keyboard Warriors. You are better, and far more brilliant, than anyone on Madison Avenue (Ad Agencies). There is nobody like you!
    de3934a7bf19179a32c6dc06ba98ac8064f8532e53ee4cda773cf14e3d32f1f7.png
    333 x 400 - 190K
    What weird emotions?
    Ones that are difficult to describe, although I feel certain there are German words for them.

One of them was the dissonance of feeling simultaneously claustrophobic and agoraphobic. This desire to get the fuck off the train but knowing it was worse outside. It's a feeling that is probably pretty common these days.
    Oof. Yeah.

Also, the certainty that the oppressed people cannot stand it any more and must rise up... and will probably get nothing out of it but death.
    Yes. Now we got a list going.
    Now we just need a German crappiteer.
    We need a crappity headhunter.
    Yes!
    If you never use a thermometer, then you’ll never have a fever.
    So true. Plus, also, too, as republicans have told scientists at the Bright hearing: you may have your fancy-schmancy "studies", but we have anecdotes!
    Look, if Jason Isbell isn't a thing for you, that probably isn't going to change. But if he is, his new record is pretty fucking amazing.
    More dumb shit that made me laugh:

97452556_3234109300000743_6407938751472861184_n.png
    800 x 800 - 691K
    edited May 2020
    Aw man, Fred Willard died.