Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

It’s a lumbercat.

LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 8,009
I claim this thread in the name of the Klingon Empire!

Comments

• LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 8,009
    edited May 2020
    So did you guys go to the beach this weekend?
    Uh, no. I wouldn't mind, but I would need to have the beach to myself or close to that, 'cause I'm not an idiot. Why do you ask?
    Hope everyone here is feeling well this morning and ...Rupert Murdoch... Well, I hope Rupert Murdoch has body aches and a dry cough.
    edited May 2020
    Today is Towel Day!
    Towel Day celebrates author Douglas Adams and his best-known work, the science-fiction series The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. The day was first held on May 25, 2001, two weeks after Adams passed away on May 11, at the age of 49 from a heart attack. On the day, fans are to carry a towel to show their appreciation for the author and his books.

From the The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy:
    “A towel, it says, is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have. Partly it has great practical value. You can wrap it around you for warmth as you bound across the cold moons of Jaglan Beta; you can lie on it on the brilliant marble-sanded beaches of Santraginus V, inhaling the heady sea vapours; you can sleep under it beneath the stars which shine so redly on the desert world of Kakrafoon; use it to sail a miniraft down the slow heavy River Moth; wet it for use in hand-to-hand-combat; wrap it round your head to ward off noxious fumes or avoid the gaze of the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal (such a mind-bogglingly stupid animal, it assumes that if you can’t see it, it can’t see you — daft as a brush, but very very ravenous); you can wave your towel in emergencies as a distress signal, and of course dry yourself off with it if it still seems to be clean enough.”
  • moetownmoetown Posts: 3,278
    Yesterday I saw a lot of videos and photos of loads of people milling around at various beaches and boardwalks. That’s why I asked. I wasn’t being serious.
    Talking about morons: yesterday, some dingbats set fire to a communications tower here in Montreal. L-)
  • Jurf_WurburJurf_Wurbur Posts: 5,494
    edited May 2020
    I really wish Warren or Biden had gotten the nom. Because I could really use the hope for our future that would come with someone who wanted systemic change in line to possibly overtake Trump.
    I really wish Warren or Biden had gotten the nom.
    You mean Warren or Sanders, right?
    edited May 2020
    À propos...
    2e0ec300dfc83e8bf52ffb80aefd9509125ff19ddf430a98f66d78a0874e9297.png
    520 x 391 - 276K
    And more dumb shit that made me laugh:
    8c0fef5e7f922fcd079214a3cef3bc74e1d106638bf6b52ce65959731e0dbc40.jpg
    500 x 902 - 126K
    edited May 2020
    One thing that doesn't give much hope regarding Biden is that I keep reading about him talking to the the worst fucking people in the Democratic Party.

• captqitncaptqitn Posts: 3,629
    Talking about morons: yesterday, some dingbats set fire to a communications tower here in Montreal.
    Because 5G gives you the Rona?
    Literally the only thing that gives me hope is that he put a lot of people I like on his climate task force, including the former head of the Sunrise Movement.

But everything else he does makes me question the sincerity of his interest in the topic.
    edited May 2020
    You mean Warren or Sanders, right?
    Yes, sorry. I got my old white men mixed up, pre-coffee.
    edited May 2020
    Also, his You Ain't Black misstep basically forces him to pick an African-American running mate. Bummer that would rule Warren out, but I could get into Stacey Abrams as Veep.
    I think people are not taking into account that Trump not only needs to lose, he needs to lose clearly and decisively such that there is pressure on him to accept it and not just batten down the hatches, challenge the result, and refuse to leave the White House.
    Gawd help me, they got a motivational speaker for us at work today.
    hee hee. We have a mindfulness instructor "coming in" this week. I took a series of classes with him a couple years ago and actually really like his approach. His background is as a neuroscience doctor, so he keeps it evidence based.
    I've got to say that I'm really worried about how many people are already resigned to him attempting to stay in office regardless of the election results.

I think their concerns are well founded, but I fear that this slow burn of expectation is going to grind down the population over the next few months and if he does it, it'll be shrugging "I told you sos", instead of pitchforks.

Gotta be honest, this whole work day thing feels like a distraction from sitting in our inflatable pool and drinking wine.
    Because 5G gives you the Rona?
    I reckon that's their motive.
    edited August 2020
    The US has gone over the 100 000 dead mark. <:-P
    edited May 2020
    I have the impression that the Covid problem is going to go the way of the gun problem: just as most Americans have grown resigned to school shootings and preventable gun violence, I think it is possible that most Americans will become numb to Covid-19 deaths.
    There was a Brit band called Superstar I recently read about and I feel like I need -yes need- to figure out how to listen to their first album.
    Anybody ever seen Gillo Pontecorvo’s The Battle of Algiers? It’s near the top of my favorite movies list.

For your viewing pleasure, here’s the trailer:

edited May 2020
    Yep, I've seen that. I'm a big, big lover of Italian neo-realism. Have you seen Queimada? it's not as good, but the Ennio Morricone soundtrack is fucking great.
    I like the Italian neorealists but I prefer the kitchen sink UK stuff, and the minimalist Romanian films. I actually ration those out to myself because they're good but they're so upsetting. Too much to binge.
    edited May 2020
    Trump says he may shut down social media if Twitter doesn't stop fact checking him.

Two thoughts:
    1) Give up all of social media? Isn't that the primary way he communicates? Wouldn't that shut him up, basically? I am cool with that trade.
    2) This actually points toward a path for getting this guy out of office. If he's going to start stepping in the way of multi billion dollar corporations because of his grudges, he's going to lose his rich bastard contingent real quick. Similarly, if he refused to leave office in January and it destabilizes the economy, his overlords will cut his leash real quick, right?
    88184779_2801430189936380_327650711275831296_n.jpg
    960 x 944 - 110K
    edited May 2020
    We've been going through the series of Truffaut's movies about Antoine Doinel: the 400 blows, Antoine et Collette, Stolen Kisses, Bed and Board, and Love on the Run.

French new wave, baby!