Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do I check the Covid death stats or the police brutality stories first?

Comments

• Jurf_WurburJurf_Wurbur Posts: 5,473
    FB_IMG_1591448831157.jpg
    800 x 600 - 54K
  • TrippTripp Posts: 676
    R.I.P. The Sweet’s Steve Priest. I remember Tripp telling me The Grifters we’re rehearsing a cover of Ballroom Blitz for a show somewhere. I was bummed out that I never got to hear it.

We did a cover of No You Don't once.
  • TrippTripp Posts: 676
    edited June 2020
    Soooooooo.. Some former student of S___'s posted a story claiming S____ once told the class it was ok to use the N-word (student in question is a black girl) and that the students were made to reenact scenes from the book which included interactions between a slave-master and his slaves. Yeah, the fucking book was To Kill a Mockingbird!! Anybody recall any slave-masters in that one? So now the story has gone viral and has been picked up by Medium. S____ has been crying all weekend. She's never used that N-word EVER. S____ said this former student was a mean girl and a bully who often lied to get what she wants. So we don't know what to do. I want to fight back but S___ says that's just playing into it so she has set up a meeting with the head of the school this week to try to clear things up. UGH!! Really do not need this shit right now.
  • moetownmoetown Posts: 3,276
    Fuck! That’s a horrible story. Please tell S____ I’m sorry she’s having to deal with this kind of bullshit. Man, that pisses me off!
    Hopefully, other people who were in the class will come to her defense.
    FB_IMG_1591623846055.jpg
    856 x 960 - 49K
  • LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 7,989
    edited June 2020
    I've been seeing right-wing dipshits comment protest images with “I guess social distancing is done”... 8-|

That's what is called a false equivalency: protestors aren't risking getting the bug because they want to grab a beer at the bar or go to the beach!
  • captqitncaptqitn Posts: 3,624
    I think my favorite response to those has been "When you get on a bus and the driver asks you to buckle up for safety, makes sense to do so. When the busdriver starts shooting and killing the passengers, probably time to unbuckle.
    edited June 2020
    Not all Dairy Queen employees shit in the soft serve though! Most of them would never dream of doing that, though they are aware of those who do, don't speak up about it, and will serve you cones from the tainted machine.
    IMG_20200608_122640.jpg
    1536 x 2048 - 419K
    ACAD ? I don't get it.
    edited June 2020
    edited June 2020
    Conference call in progress. Layoffs likely coming in mid July at A Tried and True company. I hope it ends up not even being relevant.
    Let us know what happens.
    :Yeeahhh... I've been meaning to look up the background on those photos. There's solidarity, and then there's gross photo-op land.

I think sometimes it's better not to pretend that we are all the same, but to project more "We are white people in suits, but we get it and we are going to use our white people in suit powers to actually fucking do something this time."
    My dog was a real dickhead yesterday. Decided mid-product demo that he Would Not Be Still anymore. Ate Simon's dinner off the porch table when we turned our heads. Pissed on the carpet.

He's usually awesome, but it's like the dog terrible twos up in here this week.
    Oooof.
    edited June 2020
    And just like that, one of our cats pooped in front of their (freshly cleaned) litter boxes.

Is there a domesticated animal uprising happening?
    Rango's top fear has gone from abandonment to boredom.

ENTERTAIN ME, HUMANS. I am young and energetic.
    edited June 2020
    Our newfound cat is doing ok. The vet says she's in good health, except for her teeth. We've been giving her pain meds and antibiotics, and see seems much more confortable now. The rotten teeth are going to be extracted next week and my stepdaughter is going to adopt her after that.
    edited June 2020
    Have you guys ever seen a stoned cat? It's quite funny: it changes phase and becomes a purring, furry liquid.
    Seen on the internets this morning:
    Sure you say abolish the police now, but who are you going to call when someone breaks into your house and you need someone to come over an hour later and shoot your dog?
    edited June 2020
    For real.

I've also seen a lot of variations on a similarly scathing grim note, where right wingers will ask a woman "Well who are you going to call if someone rapes you?" and the women say a variation of, "Someone did rape me. I did call. The cops didn't do shit."
    Did you see John Oliver’s show about defunding the police? I could post it here if you didn’t. It’s pretty freakin’ genius.
    He's terrific.
    Bunker Boy is mentally ill.

Screenshot_20200609-113000.png
    760 x 756 - 204K
    Watched it last night. Brilliant as he so often is.