Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do I check the Covid death stats or the police brutality stories first?

Comments

• TrippTripp Posts: 676
    Yeah, I shared it on FB.
  • matthewmatthew Posts: 419

Healthy country, right? This is one of two QAnon folks running for office that I know of.
    Dan your cat story was cute. Tripp's story is heartbreaking. I can't imagine. My mother went through a thing briefly with a girl who told her mother than my mother had choked her out. This was a black girl with a young single mother who was from Africville, Halifax, a town in Canada with a terrible racial legacy. The mother was hard-wired to hate/distrust the school and her two children were nightmares. Anyway, one day my mother got called into speak with the principal and he asked her what happened that day and he told her that this girl claimed she had pinned her against a wall and choked her. My mom didn't even know what she was talking about but eventually realized it stemmed from some argument about her getting her to line up with the other children and my mom had lost her temper with the kid and had put her hand on her shoulder and guided her to the line. When she went home, this became a strangulation attack. It really freaked my mom out and she wasn't even working in the time of Medium pieces. I feel for S_____. I really can't imagine what she's feeling. I told my mom about it and she passes on the same sentiment.

Also, my mom's favorite years teaching were at that school was almost entirely non-white. I volunteered a few times to help out with her classes and it was like 30 Indian and North African kids with like 4 or 5 white kids. The racial persecution thing didn't hold up of course, as it was just this one little girl who was a terror, but I guess she knew how to push her mother's buttons. All around depressing situation.
  • TrippTripp Posts: 676
    edited June 2020
    The girl (young woman now) who accused S___ also went after one of her professors in college a few years ago. I don't know the entire story but I assume she went after the professor because she was getting bad grades. At some point the professor encountered the girl at the grocery store and basically asked her why she was trying to ruin her life. The girl acted like the professor assaulted her. The cops were called, restraining order issued and the professor lost her job. This is why S___ doesn't want to engage. Not that she works at the school anymore just that this girl is extremely toxic.
    S___ had a meeting with the new head of the school on Monday and it went very well. The school said they have her back. The old head of the school had told the new head that S___ was one of the best english teachers they've ever had. Like I said the meeting went very well and I have my fingers crossed that they might want to re-hire her.
  • captqitncaptqitn Posts: 3,624
    That would be a nice outcome to a shit situation.
  • moetownmoetown Posts: 3,276
    I had to go get my annual physical. I was happy to learn that doctors have stopped doing prostate exams.
    Altogether or in the current world.

I had heard that suggestion a while back, that they were causing overtreatment and that other tests were more reliable.
  • LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 7,989
    I once told one of my classes, back when I was teaching in English at Concordia U., that I was going to try something new, so they were going to be my guinea-pigs. Next day, I got an email from the department head: a student complained that I had called him a pig. 8-|
    edited June 2020
    Oh, and I never, ever have one-on-one meetings with students. I always arrange things so that we meet in a place were there are several students and teachers around. I know I'm paranoid, but I don't care. The vast majority of my students are cool, but all it takes is one wacko.
    Big difference between a guinea pig and a pig. Your former student is a liar.

Eric, I’m pretty sure it’s a forever thing. Sticking a finger up a patient’s bum just isn’t an effective way to test for anything.
    Maybe some doctors will continue the practice simply because they like doing it.
    And maybe some patients will request it simply because they like having it done.
    If I’m having a one-on-one interaction with a student, I always make sure I show my penis.
    I recently learned about the prostrate exam thing, myself.

As for calling people names...

Did I ever tell the story about my mother getting offended and insulting a kid in front of me?

I was some sort of outdoor activity day at the elementary school she taught at and the entire green area around the school was crawling with kids from every grade. Anyway, my mother and I were standing at one of the stations and one of the second grade students of hers came up and spoke to my mother, who was wearing a tartan hat because of the Sun. The kid was British and had a heavy accent and said,

"Missus Go_se, you look like a go'fer".

My mother furrowed her brow and leaned over and said, "Oh yeah, well you look like a little rat."

The kid was stunned and walked away confused.

I turned to my mom and said, "Mom, I think he was referring to your hat and said. 'golfer', not 'gofer'."

My mom realized her mistake and said, "Ah well, he is a pain in the ass anyway."
    That’s the first time I’ve heard that story. I really like your mom.
    I know that Trump is an idiot, but with his falling poll numbers and the vast majority of people thinking he fucked up the response to the murder of George Floyd, he decides now would be the right time to publicly reject the renaming of Army bases named after Confederate generals.

Big difference between a guinea pig and a pig. Your former student is a liar.
    Maybe, but I remember thinking that maybe English wasn't the student's native language. Who knows?
    edited June 2020
    I know that Trump is an idiot, but with his falling poll numbers and the vast majority of people thinking he fucked up the response to the murder of George Floyd, he decides now would be the right time to publicly reject the renaming of Army bases named after Confederate generals.
    Son-of-a-bitch is always pandering to his base.
    ILTGS
    Quite a few years back in New York I had a hot Brazilian doctor. She did my first exam. She stopped at one point with a tiny grin 'just in case you were wondering.. that's your prostate" as she massaged it a bit.

That might have been unprofessional but I didn't mind in the least. I really wish she was still my doctor.
    edited June 2020
    I'm still a prostate virgin. But if a hot doctor wants to examine it...
  • Jurf_WurburJurf_Wurbur Posts: 5,475
    Interview seemed to go well. Should get word by end of week.
    Excellent news. Keep us updated.
    The end of the week? Tomorrow?
    Way to go Jeff or Jurf?
    A couple of days ago, I decided to take a little hiatus from my beloved plant. Day 1 was easy. Day 2, I had to keep telling myself, “You just think you want to smoke it, but you really don’t.” Not sure what the difference is between thinking I want to do something and wanting to do something, but it kept me from doing it.
    The payoff is dreams. I’ve had the trippiest dreams the last 2 nights. Last night I had dreams inside of dreams. I dreamed I had awakened from a dream just to discover it was still part of a dream. I thought that only happened in movies.
    Ah yes. I don't imbibe any more, but I remember that when I used to take breaks from it, the dreams were super vivid.
  • Jurf_WurburJurf_Wurbur Posts: 5,475
    edited June 2020
    It was the weirdest interview. It was me, my potential boss, and his boss. Boss's boss spoke 70% of the time. I hope I got enough in edgewise to make my case.

Should hear by tomorrow.
    Quitter! I think taking a break is easier knowing I could do it if I wanted. If the reason I stopped was because I was completely out and couldn’t find a way to get more, I imagine I’d be jonesing pretty hard. How long has it been since you stopped?
    What’s the point of an interview if someone else does most of the talking? It’s like your boss’s boss is Chris Matthews.