Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I think I’ve reached a level of contentment with being single.

LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 7,989
Hello! Time for a new thread.

Comments

• LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 7,989
    I may not have a job next September: the class I usually teach includes field work and transportation and my department doesn't presently know what to do about that. Plus, last time I talked to them, only five students registered for it, which they say isn't enough.

Bummer.
  • Jurf_WurburJurf_Wurbur Posts: 5,475
    Hang in there, Dan. It's bad all around.

Tilda is waiting for word this week on whether she is being rehired or laid off. All we know is furlough is ending soon either way.
    And I'm waiting to see if I get laid off too, of course.
    I realized the other day that I know next to nothing about contemporary hip hop. I felt bad about it until I realized that something like 30% of what I listen to is soul/neo-soul. And then I felt better. I'm not a blinkered racist who ignores black culture. I'm just old and uncool.

I can live with old and uncool.
  • captqitncaptqitn Posts: 3,624
    Gonna need to pull my Johnny Paycheck bazooka out of storage.
    edited June 2020
    With the exception of nineties trip-hop and a few musicians, I've never managed to jump into the hip-hop bandwagon. I'm sorry to say, but I tend to find most hip-hop boring. I was into it when it was new but, in my opinion, as a subculture and as music, that entire genre has been spinning its wheels for nearly 20 years now. To be honest, the same can be said of rock'n'roll, and I still listen to loads of rock'n'roll... Probably because I tend to like guitar music; hip-hop isn't usually guitar driven.

I dunno, I could be wrong about hip-hop losing steam: I started to lose interest in hip-hop sometime ago, and because my attention wavered, I didn't bother getting up-to-date, which means that if anything interesting came up in the last 20 years, I've almost certainly missed it.

However, I don't think that says anything about me: see, I've always listened to loads of jazz, I lurve, lurve me some jazz, old jazz, new jazz, British jazz, American jazz, you name it. And plus also too, West African guitar music, Afrobeat, Ethiopian music, all kinds of Jamaican music, etc.

I tend not to think in terms of "black" versus other kinds of music. There's music I like and music I don't like. And I don't much like most modern hip-hop, in the same way that I can't be bothered to listen to most modern country music and most top 40 crap.
    edited June 2020
    I can live with old and uncool.
    Hip-hop has been around since the late 70s. If you were into it back in 1983, then you were hip and cool. Not being into it in 2020 doesn't make you uncool, it probably just means there's other stuff you like more.
    I think there's a ton of interesting hip hop out now, but it's so inherently of the moment that keeping the olds locked out of it is a central part of what makes it tick.

We're not supposed to get it.
    The last five years or so, I probably have only listened to a handful of hip hop records and all from that small subset of stuff that breaks its way into the NPR crowd: Childish Gambino, Kendrick Lamar, Run the Jewels, Lizzo, etc.
    edited June 2020
    My listening is like 35% Americana, 35% indie rock/indie pop (with the balance between old acts and new acts sliding back and forth), 20% soul/neo-soul, 10% other.

I have to make an effort to just keep myself from listening to the same old stuff, and even then I sometimes realize the "new" stuff I'm listening to is just current releases from bands that are 20+ years old. Never being in the car, I canceled Sirius XM and without listening to XMU, my new stuff quotient is getting low again.
    I realized this week when one of Simon's friends talked to me about "classic rock" that I basically never listen to any of that anymore. No Beatles, no Stones, no Zep, none of it.
    edited June 2020
    More dumb shit that made me laugh:
    EbsbAl2XgAA5GOX.jpeg
    676 x 680 - 49K
    A____ recently turned me on to Moses Sumney. Vaguely hip-hop and soul influenced, but really a thing unto himself. Complex harmonic structures but done with a minimal and elastic approach.

E___ turned me on to Tigran Hamasyan, an Armenian pianist. Incredible writer/player that vacillates between dense fusion jazz and almost deathmetal ferocity.

Otherwise, yeah, mostly classic and Latin jazz and classical with the occasional comfort album (indie/classic rock) thrown in.
  • TrippTripp Posts: 676
    A couple of years ago a couple of girls at work baited me by asking what hip-hop I was into. Girls. One of them is my age. I knew it didn't matter what I said. They would find a way to turn into giving me shit. I said my all-time favorite is Public Enemy. They laughed at me and said I was old. I was like 'So am I suppose to be the sterotypical middle-aged white guy trying to prove my hipness by acting like I keep up with whatever crap is popular right now?' Then I added that I dig Tyler the Creator and they were like "Who?" and I was like "Fuck you bitches."
    Moses Sumney sounds good to my ear holes. Thank you for that.

I really enjoy this generation's versions of soul music (as I do virtually all of them) but am at a loss sometimes for how to track it down. I still listen to a bunch of stuff from that 1997-2002 neo-soul boom. Bunch of D'Angelo, Rafael Saadiq, Erykah Badu, etc. And then some stuff from that more self-consciously retro wave from a few years after, Charles Bradley, Sharon Jones, etc.

I did get pretty into Cautious Clay last year or so. He and Frank Ocean are what I listen to when I want to feel current, I guess.
    The last time I was really into hip hop was when Odd Future came out. I was just thinking the other day about the accusations they were homophobic and how, in the end, fully half of them turned out to be on the LGBTQIA spectrum.
    Love Charles Bradley and Sharon Jones.
    edited June 2020
    Trailer for FOUNDATION.

edited June 2020
    Last time I actively listened to hip-hop was in the early 2000s: MF DOOM, the Antipop Consortium, Aesop Rock, Tricky, a bit of Wu-Tang Clan. Back in the late eighties, early nineties, when I was a teen and hip hop was still fresh, I was into Public Enemy, De La Soul, the Beastie Boys and Basehead.

Odd Future were cool. I should probably revisit them.

edited June 2020
    Trailer for FOUNDATION.
    Oh? I thought the filming had been suspended!
    edited June 2020
    One thing I'm looking forward to is the new Dune movie. It's supposed to come out this Christmas. It was filmed by Denis Villeneuve, which makes me hopeful it won't suck.
    Foundation is looking tight, but goddamned it, I don't want another damned subscription.
    edited June 2020
    I can't really tell you what kind of music genres I'm into. I tend to listen to music in a rather random, stream of conscience kind of way. For instance, in the last few days, I've been listening to a lot of J.J. Cale and a lot of John Cale. Go figure, eh?
    edited June 2020
    Foundation is looking tight, but goddamned it, I don't want another damned subscription.
    (cough) There's ways around that, grasshopper. (/cough)
    I've had the outro of Fleetwood Mac's Tusk in my head all morning. But when it gets to the shout, my brain screams "FUCK!"

So either the constant barrage of bad news is starting to bubble over in my subconscious or my earworm has Tourettes.
    edited June 2020
    I discovered Betty Davis this year and have been listening to her quite a bit.

• moetownmoetown Posts: 3,276
    I never listen to hip hop. I won’t bitch about it if I go somewhere (I never go anywhere) where someone’s listening to it. I might even enjoy it while I’m listening to it, but I just never choose it when I’m on my own (I’m always on my own). I don’t care about being up on whatever’s new. I’ll sometimes read a review of something new and check it out. I like finding stuff from the past that I either didn’t have an opportunity to listen to or I didn’t know about.
    There’s a lot of stuff that I’m just not interested in. I find that some music genres are too broad. Like a lot of music that people call ‘rock’ is really morose and weepy and definitely doesn’t rock.

I did “12 hours” of virtual professional development in two days. It freakin’ sucks because when I had to attend a 6-hour in-person professional development in the past, it lasted exactly six hours. With this virtual shit, it’s labeled as 6 hours, but can take 8 or more hours to complete. I just keep telling myself it’s good to have a job.
    edited June 2020
    I discovered Betty Davis this year and have been listening to her quite a bit.
    Miles Davis second wife!

Uh, sorry, was that sexist? It was, wasn't it?
    Anyway, without her influence, Miles probably wouldn't have gone into jazz-rock. I dunno if that's a good or a bad thing.