Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I had a cat named Jarvis because I was really into Pulp.

Comments

• captqitncaptqitn Posts: 3,629
    Any interesting stories from the weekend?

I don't have much. I've been working on a synth-phony that tracks the life cycle of a virus for Home's CVD19 album. Was working on Movement 2 (replication) with a ton of stacked arpeggiated mallets (think Steve Reich) and I was a couple hours in and thinking it was killer. But then I turned off the click track and it was just all mush. So that was very disappointing.
  • LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 8,009
    edited July 2020
    We spent a couple of days at a neighboring hotel that has an outdoor pool. We walked there! We spent most of Friday and part of Saturday by the pool, reading and bathing. We went to the restaurant for the first time since this whole virus shit started: exterior tables and masks and lots of washing of hands. It all felt kind of silly, but we got out of the house and we had both the pool and the restaurant for ourselves. It was nice and chill and fun!
    Excellent.
  • moetownmoetown Posts: 3,277
    I went to a well-attended, maskless Q Anon meetup in a very tiny yurt.
    I wasn’t going to let a low grade fever and a dry cough stop me from going. Someone said it was kind of rank inside the yurt, but having lost my sense of smell a few days ago, it didn’t bother me at all.
    Guffaw!
    I don’t know if it’s the crazy in me thinking this way, but it seems like this country is barreling along into a new level of awfulness. Or maybe it’s just going to rain here and that’s why I’m feeling so on edge. It’s hard to tell.
    Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure it's the prior.

It's going to be a loooonnng 100 days.
    edited July 2020
    Let’s put crazy thoughts aside for a moment to reflect on the critical acclaim of Taylor Swift’s latest album. I don’t plan on listening to it. How about you?
  • Jurf_WurburJurf_Wurbur Posts: 5,490
    It's super weird having to do Normal Business Person Shit when I am increasingly worried the country I live in will fall apart before Christmas.
    No. I was subjected to an NPR review that included numerous clips. I'm not a hater, she seems to make people happy. But I've never once heard one of her songs and thought "she's really got something to say".
    I must congratulate Comrade Moe for his dedication to the cause of cultural Marxism and the international Zionist conspiracy! Letting yourself be infected by the virus engineered by our Chinese brothers in order to carry it into a lair of enemies is a stroke of genius!

Comrade, you are a true Antifa super soldier!
    I just don't like contemporary pop much. I'm not hating on it or judging it, I'm just old.
    It's super weird having to do Normal Business Person Shit when I am increasingly worried the country I live in will fall apart before Christmas.
    I’ll be going back to work next Thursday. I’m going to pretend I feel normal and avoid interacting with anyone until it’s absolutely necessary. My class is in a portable building and the first couple of days are for teachers to work on their classrooms. I hope my colleagues stay the hell away from me. The other two teachers in my program are evangelical Trumpers. I actually like one of them ok, but the other one is annoying in all kinds of ways.
    edited July 2020
    I just don't like contemporary pop much. I'm not hating on it or judging it, I'm just old.
    Dude, age has nothing to do with it! When someone uses the term pop music, I think of music that is produced primarily as a commercial enterprise, music that is designed to appeal to everyone but doesn't come from any particular place.

If you define pop music this way, music that is commercial, ephemeral, and accessible, most mainstream pop music is, and has always been, shit.

Some pop music has risen above this, and that's the stuff that we still remember today, but pop music was made to be consumed and then quickly forgotten, and that's exactly what happened to most of it.
    It is because I'm old though. I have warm feelings about much of pop music... just not so much the pop music of this century.
    I think your brain might have graciously let you forget all the crap pop you've endured.

I am occasionally very happy to listen to a best of the 80s pop show on the radio and generally have a good time.

However, when I listen to an actual Casey Kasem countdown show from that era (where nothing is weeded out or curated. It's just literally the top 40 from that week) , it is amazing how much garbage fills out the list.

I do agree that you are old, though.
    Shoobie, doobie, do wop
    Pop, pop, shoo wop

Definitely a lot of dreck, yeah. Not arguing there.

I'm just saying that even the "cream" of current pop doesn't appeal me, whereas the cream of 80s/90s pop does, at least some.

I attribute this to two things: pop music being a young person's game; and the years I spent listening to the radio having conditioned me. Now that streaming exists and I don't have to listen to the radio ever, I've lost the thread on pop music entirely.
    That definitely makes sense to me. My dudes parted ways with pop music very early on, so I don't even have the second-hand effect that most parents get.
  • TrippTripp Posts: 676
    I'm usually of the mind that something has to stand the test of time for a few years before I can determine if it's "good" or not. So anything that's brand new or a hot property gets a hard pass from me. Actually I've more or less given up on music at least as far as being an active fan. I find something that grabs my attention MAYBE twice a year.
    Sad, I know.
    I probably pay more attention to the local scene. My hat's off to anyone giving it a go but more often than not I'm disappointed to hear so many Memphis acts milking their Memphisness. Do they not notice that's what everybody else is doing? Touristy shit.
    The best thing I've heard out of memphis the past several years is a band called Aquarian Blood.
    edited July 2020
    Back when I was a whippersnapper, I thought most pop music sucked. And I still think most pop music sucks. Nothing has changed.
    Simon only cares about songs used in TikTok videos.
    edited July 2020
    Weirdly, I while I hate "pop" pop, I am cool with electro-tinged indie pop the last couple years. That stuff used to enrage me, but now I listen to stuff like Superorganism and Sylvan Esso and I can dig it.
    I’ve been investigating CBD oil as a treatment for anxiety and help falling asleep. There are so many brands and the prices range from expensive to more expensive. Websites that recommend a particular brand are more than likely getting a kickback from sales. It’s hard to decide what to get.
    Also, I can’t get a clear idea on the proper dosage.