Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I hate it here.

Comments

• LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 7,989
    edited August 2020
    Skinless sausages? Are those like weirdly-shaped grilled meatballs? I think I've eaten that a few times.
  • Jurf_WurburJurf_Wurbur Posts: 5,475
    images.jpeg
    183 x 275 - 13K
  • matthewmatthew Posts: 419
    Not to add rain to the tsunami of shit we're all swimming in, but I have to say that I am actually rather impressed by how toothless Facebook's reporting function has become. This despite the years-long campaign of screeching and wailing and gnashing of teeth by the conservatives complaining that they have been persecuted by big tech (which, in reality, actually boosted the signal of the far-right).

A few weeks ago, I was flagged by Facebook for violating their terms on "nudity and sexual activity" by posting a photo of Marina Abramovic in leather holding a machine gun. It wasn't the gun that got me flagged, it was the fact that you could see a wisp of her pubic hair at the bottom of the photo.

It was with this violation (which I am reminded of daily as FB warns me that if I am caught again, my account will be suspended) in mind that I decided to test FB's reporting function again. I did so because I ended up on the account of Anthony Huber's girlfriend and saw what Trump supporters and/or fascists were posting on her wall less than 24 hours after her boyfriend (he was the guy with the skateboard) was murdered by Kyle Rittenhouse in Kenosha.

Dozens of far-right trolls and Nazis were posting of-so-fucking "edgy" screencaps of her boyfriend clutching his chest after Rittenhouse shot him in the side/back as he started to flee the scene. I reported around a dozen accounts for this. Very quickly, Facebook came back with "Matthew, we reviewed the comment that you reported and found that it doesn't go against any of our Community Standards. For this reason, we didn't take the comment down. " Clearly, some worthless AI scanned the post and gave it an "All Clear" within seconds. I wasn't surprised by this. However, I have to admit that I was somewhat surprised by the lack of response to the ones I reported for hate speech.

As I said, some of these ghouls were straight-up Nazis and white supremacists. One who was referring to black people he was responding to as "N_____s" (he blanked it out, too), I investigated a little further and found that his FB wall was full of fun stuff like what you can see the attached pic. That video claims that the stories behind blood libel are real (i.e that Jews regularly murder gentile children and drain them of blood for arcane rituals) and that, more generally, Jews are globally conspiring to murder all Gentiles, meaning the goys need to fight back and eliminate them first.

So, after a two-day review, did Facebook at least take down the blood libel-pushing call for genocide against Jewish people?

"Matthew, we reviewed the comment that you reported and found that it doesn't go against any of our Community Standards. For this reason, we didn't take the comment down.We keep our review process as fair as possible by using the same Community Standards to review reports. While we've decided not to take this comment down, we understand that you don't like it. We recommend that you hide the comment or unfollow, unfriend or block the person who posted it."

Screen Shot 2020-08-28 at 5.39.28 PM copy.png
    681 x 517 - 301K
  • matthewmatthew Posts: 419
    I mean, I get it. It's not nearly as gross as some lady pubes.
    edited August 2020
    But Matt, they're Marina Abramovic's lady pubes! Have you tried posting Melania Trump's lady pubes?
  • moetownmoetown Posts: 3,276
    A photo of police in riot gear holding back an angry white guy sporting a buzz cut. Under the photo is this caption:

Portland police hold back a man who was with the victim of a fatal shooting as he reacts in minutes after the incident.
    edited August 2020
    Do you know what an artotyrite is? That's a member of a christian sect that first appeared in the 2nd century and spread throughout Galatia. They used bread and cheese in the eucharist, or perhaps baked bread with cheese.
    Yummy.
    edited August 2020
    I started watching Tumbbad on Amazon Prime last night. It's like a Bollywood version of a Guillermo del Toro flick.
    Glad to know that Facebook considers Jew bashing and neo-Nazi propaganda to be less offensive than pubic hair.
    Tumbbad is great!
    Today is Little S's first full day of high school! Go Little S. go!
  • captqitncaptqitn Posts: 3,624
    You got this Tiny S!!
    Great, now I'm hungry for mititei.
    Thanks for the Ball of Fire rec, Tripp. Totally hit the spot. Charming crew of crusty professors were wonderfully cast.
    And Edith Head dressing Barbara Stanwyck is always worth the price of admission.
  • TrippTripp Posts: 676
    Cool. Have you ever watched The Lady Eve? Also hot Stanwyck action in that one.
    Had to get our oven fixed on Friday. The repairman seemed like a nice guy though he came into the house maskless. Thanks. I shut all the doors and he was done in about 15 minutes. After he left I lysolled the kitchen and kept the front and back doors open the rest of the day. Later, I'm watching PBS news hour and through the front door I hear someone screaming HELP!! HELP!! I look out and see an old lady floundering about in her front yard. So I got my shoes on and ran over and helped her. It took about 10 minutes to get her back on her feet. At one point she was like "oh dear, we're not wearing masks!" And I'm like "too late now." Then she said "well, I never see anybody anyway." And I said " yeah, me neither." But I guess I made a new friend.
    Then Saturday night I get a text from Stan saying they got rid of their kid for the night and they wanted to hang. So he and his wife then later Stivers came over and we hung out in the backyard. When they showed up though they weren't really keeping their distance as much as I would have preferred. Karla is a nurse and was actually pretty dismissive of what I consider basic precautionary measures. Her attitude was it's pretty much a crapshoot who catches the virus and who doesn't. And I'm like "That's why I want you guys to sit way over there. Plus I MIGHT HAVE IT.!" So they worry me. Also Karla said there won't be a vaccine for another 2 years and I'm like "DON'T SAY THAT!" Jeez, allow me my illusions.
    So I should probably self-quarantine for a while. I already do pretty much. S___'s mom has been having difficulty. She has hip surgery tomorrow but she's been in a bad way. S___ has been at her mom's house for the past week helping her out. So I really have been self-quarantined for a week now.
    It's fucking awful having to be Precautions Guy when other people don't give a shit.
    Yeah, especially when it's friends. My dearest friends live up the road and invited us to a "distanced" party in the back yard. Got there and it was not. Kept my mask on and had to keep backing up from conversations. Afterward I saw on their FB feed had a bunch of arms around each other group pics. My dood is undergoing a long stretch of chemo and he's still not playing it right. Pretty sure our wider group of friends is rolling their eyes at us when we decline invites that sound wrong.
    Cool. Have you ever watched The Lady Eve? Also hot Stanwyck action in that one.
    Yes, another great one.
    We said it before but a Preston Sturgess marathon is always a good thing.
    Fortunately for me Stivers is just as cautious as I am. Stan had wanted us all to go to Mortimer's to eat. John was like 'fuck no!'

Mortimer's is a great restaurant owned by Chris Bell's family. The only place in town that has a lounge-area dedicated to Big Star. I do miss that place.
    But I don't see going to a sit-down restaurant for a long time. tell you what I miss is fuckin' buffets! Man I miss the Vietnamese buffet.
  • I would like to see a lounge dedicated to Big Star.

I mean, not during a pandemic. But still.
    edited September 2020
    His story is so strange and scary. I have a friend that went through a bad bout of Covid alone in his NY apt. He described similar hallucinations and weird stories he was convinced were true.
    I wish we could hear the Devo album he wrote in his mind.
  • I wish I could afford a pair of those chrome eyeglasses.
  • My boss is giving us Friday off. Then Monday is Labor Day and I'm taking PTO on Tuesday. Put it all together and I am about to have five days off.

Cannot. Wait.