Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Well, as long as you dyed your pork green, we good.

Comments

• LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 7,989
    edited March 2021
    I'm wanting to spend $250-ish, all in. I'm not sure how serious he is, so "playable" is the goal. I'm okay with it if the amp is crappy. It's would just be to start. A better amp would be the next upgrade if he actually tales to guitar
    That's the thing: you're not sure how serious he is, so you get him something that's sounds like ass. But playing gear that sounds like ass can be discouraging!

Anyway, if you need help, don't hesitate.
    edited March 2021
    By the way, does Simon have access to a tablet, or a fairly powerful computer? You could get him amp simulation software. It's a bit more complicated than an amp, and you need decent monitors or headphones. But if you already have the hardware, the software isn't that expensive. And then you can use the remaining extra money to buy a decent guitar.
    edited March 2021
    But, I gotta tell you, a small practice amp that sounds half decent, has effects, a tuner, an aux input and a headphone output is a shitload of fun. In the long run, if Simon takes to the guitar seriously, it will save you money, 'cause he probably won't bug you for a big boy amp. Unless, that is, he wants to start jamming with people...
    Ok, I'll shut up now. OMG, I'm such a fucking nerd!
    edited March 2021
    Apparently, "Evergreen” was the name the Secret Service once used for Clinton. So now, according to some parts of the internets, it seems that Hillary Clinton was trafficking children via the Ever Given cargo ship (which belongs to the Evergreen shipping company) that got stuck in the Suez Canal.

Yep. 8-|
  • TrippTripp Posts: 676
    Any recommendations on a good small practice amp?
    How much you willing to spend? And does it have to be a tube amp?
    You still have your Model T head, right? Do you have a guitar cab? I'm asking because one thing you could do is get an attenuator. Its basically a load box that you put between the head and the cab, that lowers the signal hitting the speaker. It lowers the volume coming out of your amp. Never used anything like that, but some of my guitar geek friends like it.

In case you're wondering, here's a demo of my practice amp:

edited March 2021
    No tubes, it's basically a computer that simulates an amp. There are several models of amps in it. You can plug the thing into your computer and tweak the models, but honestly, I've never done that: I only use the Deluxe amp model with a bit of reverb, an overdrive pedal and a multi-effects unit. It sounds pretty good through headphones, and even better through its internal speakers. It doesn't sound quite like a decent tube amp, but it's surprisingly dynamic and touch sensitive. Anyway, it sounds good enough to practice.

It's, by far, the piece of gear I use the most.
    I used to have a Fender Champ from the seventies, but I couldn't play it when there were people in the house. Even a 5 Watt Champ is too loud. Hearing me practicing scales and shit got on everyone's nerves. Now I just use my Yamaha and headphones.
  • captqitncaptqitn Posts: 3,624
    S_____ got her vax appointment for Friday!!
    Yay! Jab! Jab! Jab! Jab! Jab! Jab! Jab! Jab! Jab! Jab!
  • Jurf_WurburJurf_Wurbur Posts: 5,475
    Easter plans?

We're gonna have people over and make papanași. (Romanian cheese donuts.)
    We're going to stay put and eat chocolate.
  • Jurf_WurburJurf_Wurbur Posts: 5,475
    edited April 2021
    I should add: only one family and outside, still socially distanced. About three more weeks until our vaccinations are completed and fully in effect.
    Dress up like a Playboy bunny and give S___ come hither looks all day.

We just dropped off E___ yesterday after five days on the shore, so he'll Easter it up with babymama.
    Anybody watch Godzilla vs. The King Kong Monster yet?

Anybody watch Godzilla vs. The King Kong Monster yet?
    That's an actual movie?!
    I might be paraphrasing but yes, brand new on HBO Max.
    More dumb shit that made me laugh:

I might be paraphrasing but yes, brand new on HBO Max.
    Who won? And after how many rounds?
    I ain't no spoiler snitch.
    Yeah, snitches get stitches.
    As seen on the internets:
    "Jesus died for your sins". Except that he didn't actually stay dead. So what did he sacrifice? His weekend?

Jesus gave up his weekend for your sins.
    Thanks for the amp recs. Anyone have a recommendation for watching things downloaded onto a thumb drive? My living room computer (Acer Aspire. very old) finally died. Chad told me he has a bluray player that you can watch stuff on directly from the thumb drive but I always thought that was a no-no. Like it kills the thumb drive. Was looking at stuff like apple tv or the plex but I don't know. Thinking about just buying the cheapest newer version of what I have now because I kind of like having a desktop computer hooked up to the living room tv. Our new tv (amazon) does come with a browser app called Silk but I'm wary of it (amazon).
    No easter plans. I'm not a christian.
    Most of my inner circle have had both shots. Stan had no side-effects. I had a headache the next day. No biggie. S___ was just kinda knocked on her but a little. Like a 24-hour flu. But they say give it 10 to 12 days to really take hold. So it looks like one week from tonight we might actually be able to have our usual friday night gang (kate and chad) come over and hang for the first time in over a year.