Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No Streaming Live Election Coverage

matthewmatthew Posts: 419
Either

Comments

• Jurf_WurburJurf_Wurbur Posts: 5,475
    oh my god.
  • KimKim Posts: 624
    I've been so depressed I can't fucking get out of bed and pick my head up off the floor.

I can't believe I'm a minority on Trump being a President. I bet my mom a long time ago she, Clinton wasn't going to win. No woman is going to win President for a long time. How can you believe that a woman is going to sit in the highest seat in our country when women can't even get equal pay for equal jobs? And she had to much vitriol and baggage against her but I still had hope that people would see his Hate but they looked aside for more pennies and no taxes and to keep their guns and gun racks in their 4 wheel drive trucks.

I'm about to turn 51 and this is the first time in my life I've been concerned about my safety because of government and out country. HONESTLY
    So how the fuck do I get out of bed now? I have no hope. I never thought he would win by this much and people support that Hater
    Our country

I feel like getting blasted drunk, maybe tomorrow
    My state and KY were the first to win for Trump. Rednecks and rich fucks

I think Marion County, Indianapolis Clinton won but I've been to sick to look at it.
    Repubs steamrolled INDIANA
    I deactivated my Facebook a couple weeks ago. Tired of it
    Fuck this
    IMG_8273.PNG
    640 x 1136 - 451K
  • LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 7,989
    edited November 2016
    I was wrong. Ev, you were right. I will proceed to write "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups" one thousand times on a blackboard as punishment.
    It's 5 am and I haven't slept. I'm feeling too anxious and angry to sleep. I came close to dozing off but, right when I was finally relaxing, the words "President Pussy Grabber" came into my mind and a wave of rage woke me up for good.

I don't know what to think or what to expect. All my adult life, I have tried to think according to evidence and reason. I am not equipped to deal with stupid.
    I'm worried about US minorities, I'm worried about you guys and I'm worried for the world.
  • moetownmoetown Posts: 3,276
    My anxiety woke me up waaaay too early. My misanthropy level is way higher than is probably healthy. I'm not surprised, but I'm extremely disappointed.
  • captqitncaptqitn Posts: 3,624
    Totally rigged.
    Patton Oswalt had the last word, where I'm concerned, saying "It turns out that our country is even more misogynist than it is racist. And it's pretty fucking racist."
    Totally rigged.
    “When I use a word,’ Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, ‘it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less.’

’The question is,’ said Alice, ‘whether you can make words mean so many different things.’

’The question is,’ said Humpty Dumpty, ‘which is to be master — that’s all.”

I'm already done with people who voted for a hate mongerer giving lectures on FB about being civil and respectful of the process.
    Proposal: let's hire the people from Silver Shamrock to make special Inauguration Day Trump & Pence masks for their faithful. And when they all tune in to watch the ceremony, they need to make sure they have 'em on!
  • matthewmatthew Posts: 419
    edited November 2016
    I tuned out when the television personalities (refuse to refer to them as "journalists") began to question aloud, "How did we not see this coming?" and then began to talk about what a strong campaign Trump lead, as if visiting particular cities is what clinched it for him.

It brought to mind Trump's own boasting of what a tremendous campaign he was running, despite his campaign having half the funds of hers. He even boasted of how easily she should have beating him, given the difference of their skill sets. The boast, of course, was that he was at a disadvantage, not that he was a weaker candidate. Regardless of how he intended his words to be interpreted, he was wrong.

There is no 'mystery' as to why Donald Trump won. He won not despite not having a massive campaign machine, but because campaign machines are, outside of knocking out one's own party's challengers, largely irrelevant (every previous loser had one, as well). If anything, in this particular election a well-financed war machine was detrimental to one's image.

Trump won the election because he was weightless. He was unencumbered by any sort of intellectual integrity, or conviction, or ideology, or morality, or ethics, or any sort of sense of responsibility. Free to say anything he wanted to - never having to worry about whether his claims were true, never having to worry whether the comments that tumbled out of his mouth one afternoon completely contradicted the stance he took the day before, never worrying about anything but acquiring more thunderous applause for himself, he became the ultimate panderer. Contrary to what he and his supporters claim, it was Clinton (and the other establishment candidates) who were operating with one arm tied behind their back. He had every advantage. Because of this, he was able to campaign on nothing, and win.

Why was he able to campaign with no political policies? Why was he able to essentially troll his way to the White House? Pure luck. On this attempt (he tried before) he happened upon the perfect conditions for victory. The Republican Party was still broken and trying to find a way out of their quagmire. Their long reliance on racist fear-mongering (against both blacks and latinos) and opposition to progressive positions on LGBTQ, abortion/women, etc. had limited them to the shrinking white population. While half their candidates alienated the sizeable chunk of their Christian base with their 'moderate' stances on such issues, the evangelical-friendly candidates alienated the more moderate fiscal conservatives.

The internal anger of the party was incredibly easy for Trump to manipulate. Here he learned how to push the buttons of hate. Here he fashioned himself into the "tells it like it is" candidate. If not for high levels of hatred, fear and resentment of the establishment, he would never had found any traction. But eight years of a black man in office made for a receptive audience. Again, it's not by chance that he originally tapped into the electorate with Birther Conspiracy Theory. He was just "saying what everyone was thinking," and "Not afraid to be politically incorrect." The shrinking global power of the the United States, gay marriage, Black Lives Matter, and news that, for the first time (well, since there were white people in America, anyway), more non-white babies than white babies were born in the US, all contributed to a sense of white terror that they were 'losing their country'.

A similar, but more easily controllable, insurgency was simultaneously growing in the DNC. This was easier to overcome because it was less angry (at least at first) and more hopeful. The Sanderistas hoped to move further down the road they felt they had started down with the election of the superficially progressive-seeming Barack Obama. Unfortunately for them, they only became angry as they realized that they were being ripped off by Clinton and the DNC. By then they were already being condescended to by the Liberal Elite, who took a giant, steaming shit on the BernieOrBust crowd. It was too late.

Ironically, the dissent in the Democratic Party helped lay the groundwork for Trump being able to move his insurgency from the RNC to the Presidential Election. In fucking over the FeeltheBern crowd, the Clinton campaign's unwittingly confirmed for the Trump that Clinton's election was the foregone conclusion that the establishment was banking on. All Trump had to do was shift his anti-Republican establishment rhetoric to Clinton

With help from the Internet cesspool of Breitbart, reddit and legions of political spambots and what seems like thousands of right-wing political Facebook groups and YouTube channels, a completely irresponsible and partisan Wikileaks, a politicized FBI, just pummelled the empty heads of millions of Americans with conspiracy theories that were entirely off the hook crazy [in the last two weeks of the election, the premier theory circulating from the Podesta emails was that Marina Abramović was performing satanist rituals for of those attending orgies at Jeffrey Epstein's Sex Slave Island which was serviced by the massive pedophile network run by Clinton, Anthony Weiner and Huma Abedin and god knows who else. This is how fuck-retarded American politics have become].

The damaged unity of the Democratic Party and the feelings of betrayal sapped even more enthusiasm for the already incredibly unpopular Clinton. Enthusiasm for Trump as not so much a Presidential Candidate but as a form of punishment for the establishment began to take root right across America. Trump quickly learned that all he had to do was say "Crooked Hillary" a few thousand times a day and the Internet trolls and bots did their work for him. By the end he was practically promising to lynch her on the front lawn of the White House on inauguration day. What started as understandable unenthusiasm and resentment of the ruling class ended in unbridled race hate and apocalyptic fantasies about the NWO.

But, in short, all it really took was a broken Republican Party + 8 Years of a Black President + Hillary Clinton.
  • TrippTripp Posts: 676
    When we awoke this morning I already knew the outcome. I stayed up pretty late. S___ got up and as I was sitting on the side of the bed getting my socks on I told her the news. Shocked, she went to the living room and saw it on the news. She just sat in silence for a minute then burst into tears then went back to bed and curled up and kept crying. Not simply because we lost I'm sure. But like a lot of us she fears for our future. Trump is going to set us back decades in the fight against climate change. Thats my biggest worry ( that and you know... nuclear war). We're predicted to have a very mild winter this year and I fear that means next Summer is going to get brutally hot. Like, 120 degrees will be commonplace. Then maybe everyone might wake up but probably not and even then it's too fucking late. It's been too late for awhile. Not sure wat's going to happen. Hopefully Elon Musk can save us.
    A lot of my students seemed absolutely traumatized. This was a horrible day.

The reason Trump won was because Clinton was a terrible candidate with far too much baggage. She managed to receive more votes than Trump, only in the wrong places, so he still received the Electoral College. Trump actually received 1.74 million fewer votes that Mitt Romney in 2012. Unfortunately, Clinton received 6.56 million fewer votes than Obama. And yet she STILL got the popular vote. I don't see how Trumpites are claiming that the 'people spoke' and he has a mandate or whatever.

Yeah, the people spoke. They didn't like either candidate.
    edited November 2016
    Shorter Matthew: the dems shoulda nominated Sanders. <:-P
    edited November 2016
    For the next for yours at least, your government will be in the hands of some of the most morally and intellectually bankrupt morons to ever rule a democracy. I mean, typically, this kind of mendacity and cretinous disregard for reality is only observed in third world kleptocracies, not in supposedly modern liberal democracies! Remember the Dumbya adminsitration? Well, it is my impression that these idiots make the Dumbya administration look like a model of restraint and competence.

It's like a giant social experiment: will your democratic institutions be able to survive the onslaught of dumb and mean? Will elected schmiberals develop enough of a spine to oppose the inevitable onrush of cretinous self-serving legislative idiocy that will soon be vomited onto the world by this brain dead president and his terminally corrupt acolytes? Will the american people sheepishly accept the inevitable abuses of power, the incompetence, the corruption and the scandals? Will the mass media collaborate with this administration, or will it do its job and expose the bullshit?

Stay tuned!
    Sometimes, things have to really get shitty to convince people to change them...
    edited November 2016
    I wonder, what the Trumpkins would be saying had president elect Biff Tannen lost in spite of winning the popular vote? Well, not really wondering, I know what they would be saying, eh?
    My body seems determined to be sick.
    edited November 2016
    What's wrong, Ev? I mean, besides the obvious.