Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Puppies and Kittens

Jurf_WurburJurf_Wurbur Posts: 5,490
New thread time!

Comments

• TrippTripp Posts: 676
    Man, I can't stand to even look at FB any more.
  • LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 8,009
    edited November 2016
    I fucking hate FB. The only reason I still bother with it is you guys.
    So do you think the Russians actually tampered with the election?
  • Jurf_WurburJurf_Wurbur Posts: 5,490
    The results? Nah. They did their damage by helping WikiLeaks, those fake news sites, etc.
    We got tickets to see Mavis Staples at the Chicago Symphony Center this February.

I think it's going to help restore my soul after this shitshow of an inauguration is over.
    I've been listening to Mavis's last few records a lot lately... the new-ish M Ward-produced one, the two Jeff Tweedy produced, and most of all Live: Hope at tHe Hideout, which is all protest songs. It really helps.
    The funeral for this poor kid is tomorrow. I have to go buy some pants and a shirt because all of my formal clothes are packed. I could probably use some new stuff anyway.
  • moetownmoetown Posts: 3,277
    So do you think the Russians actually tampered with the election?
    I don't know how they could mess with the actual voting part. I think Comey chipped in. Also, we all knew that she was a pretty lame candidate to begin with. The Dems needed a young, charismatic candidate to run. At least someone between 55-60. Are there any of those in the party right now? I can't think of one person who seems like the 'future of the party.'
  • matthewmatthew Posts: 421
    Seven Trumpets
    trumpence.jpg
    745 x 586 - 25K
  • captqitncaptqitn Posts: 3,629
    Just back from Florida for my stepfather's memorial. It was a good scene mostly. (junkie ex sister-in-law injecting herself into the scene was a low point).

Good to see my mom. Good to see other Florida friends.

Nonetheless, everything is terrible.
    edited November 2016
    Funerals are the worst. Pity we couldn't coordinate and drink together at least.

RIP, Eric's stepdad.

We went to the one for the little kid today. It was full-on rending-of-garments sad.

Then they did the thing where people take turns shoveling. So I helped bury a toddler today. That happened.
    That is rough beyond belief Jeff. That is existential rough.
    What's everybody doing this weekend?

It was supposed to be our first full weekend with the boys in 2.5 months (fucking marching band). But their stepdad has just been diagnosed with acute Leukemia and they are in scramble mode at the hospital. Not sure what's going to happen. Might just go up there and take the boys out to a movie and dinner to give J____ some quiet time.

So, if you're keeping score. 2016 also hates stepdads.
    Sorry, friends.
    Hey, what's the app that lets you block certain news stories on FB? I want to block all mention of the Walking Dead. Cause I get a LOT of that shit.
    I only know of specific ones that are made to block all politics, or all trump. But if you right click on a handful of WD posts and choose "I dont like this" or "show me less of this" it should cut it way down.
    You can also block specific sources. So for instance if Eric keeps sharing stuff from "Bitch Drinks Daily," you can click on the little down arrow to the right of his name on that share and below "Unfollow Eric" there will be "Unfollow Bitch Drinks Daily." You'll never see another story from them again, no matter who shares it.

(Above example used only so I can make repeated references to Eric and "bitch drinks.")

Anyway, I have been going through FB with a stern eye toward killing all of that stuff. No more right wing bullshit, no more left wing fringe bullshit, no more scientifically dubious "health" news, no more "inspirational quotes" or "funny photos!" all of that shit, dead dead dead.
    More importantly, though, the boys' stepdad has leukemia now? That sucks.

PMAs to all y'all.

2016 really sticks it in and breaks it off.
    Or, you know, you could just stop using facebook... ;)
    I just ejaculated bucketfuls of PMAs all over crappity.

Except for Ted Cruz, there may be no one in the Senate I detest more than Jeff Sessions. Now he's going to be the new AG. He's going to push back on prison reform. He's going to make life more miserable for minorities. He's going to shut down marijuana in the states that have voted to legalize. Sessions is a hickoid Alabama asshole.
    I'm looking to get a camcorder for little movie projects. I don't want to spend a ton of money, but I want something that's going to give me some depth of field and a decent internal mic. Probably most of the projects will be indoors, but maybe some outdoor projects, too. Any recommendations?
    I checked out Jeff Session's wikipedia page. Yep, he's terrible.

"On October 5, 2005, he was one of nine Senators who voted against a Senate amendment to a House bill that prohibited cruel, inhumane, or degrading treatment or punishment of individuals in the custody or under the physical control of the United States Government."

"Sessions is skeptical of the scientific consensus on climate change.[77] He has voted in favor of legislation that would bar the Environmental Protection Agency from regulating greenhouse gases."

"Sessions voted for the 2001 and 2003 Bush tax cuts, and said he would vote to make them permanent if given the chance."

And so on. The man's a turd.
    And perfect for the position of U.S. attorney general.
    And perfect for the position of U.S. attorney general.
    To be be part of Il Douche's administration, being an idiot is a prerequisite.
    edited November 2016
    I just turned in the most half-assed lesson plan I've written this year. It was all I could do to make myself sit down and do it, and I knew I'd be less likely to want to do it as the week went on. The main thing is that it's done and I won't have it hanging over my head during the break.

I decided to forgo the purchase of a camera and pay a big chunk of my property tax instead. I don't do escrow, so I always have to save and pay. I suck at saving. My property tax is about $4,600. I need to find a way to get more money coming in without having to get a 2nd job.

I'd still like to get a video camera, but I'm going to go cheap. Still don't know what I'd like to get. I know virtually nothing about making movies, but for some reason, I think I need a camera... I'd like to make some short films about some of my students and my family. Mostly interviews and monologues, though it might be fun to do an actual story.

I haven't been able to work out for over a week because of a bronchial infection, so I think that's making me gloomy. It's amazing how much regular exercise affects my disposition.

I may look to refinance my house this week before mortgage rates start climbing again.

I watched Oasis Supersonic last night. I know it wasn't 'cool' to dig Oasis, but I did quite a bit. Yeah, I know they were wankers, but those first 2 albums really did it for me. I also like Master Plan quite a bit.

At first, I thought this was satire...

For foreign diplomats, Trump hotel is place to be
    About 100 foreign diplomats, from Brazil to Turkey, gathered at the Trump International Hotel this week to sip Trump-branded champagne, dine on sliders and hear a sales pitch about the U.S. president-elect’s newest hotel.

The event for the diplomatic community, held one week after the election, was in the Lincoln Library, a junior ballroom with 16-foot ceilings and velvet drapes that is also available for rent.

Some attendees won raffle prizes — among them overnight stays at other Trump properties around the world — allowing them to become better acquainted with the business holdings of the new commander in chief.
    The best Mondays are the ones that don't require waking up and going to work.

I'm hoping to exercise at some point this morning and to stop feeling so gloomy-doomy.
    Three day work week this week in the US. So that much is good.

Sharon Jones' bandmates are saying she had a stroke watching the election results. She spent her last few days alive telling everyone that Trump killed her.
    edited November 2016
    I was discussing the next four years and the coming era of US government corruption with wifey and I was being all doom and gloom... And the Missus rightly pointed out that both the US and Canada have immense amounts of corruption despite the fact that we like to act all hoity-toity towards other countries for their corrupt ways. And yeah, the Missus is right, this is true.

But, as far as I know, in modern history, presidents don't personally profit from their position during their administration. That isn't done. Typically, your presidents, and our prime ministers, don't behave like third world kleptocrats, we don't see the kind of corruption were presidents and prime ministers just siphon off a few hundred million from the Treasury into their pockets, directly or indirectly... Which is what I expect from the Trump administration.