Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tripp is going to give everybody health care.

LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 7,989
edited January 2017 in Main
To me, that seems a lot more plausible than President Ubu giving everybody healthcare. I mean, the conservative plan for health care has always been "if you can't pay for it, you suffer and then die."

Comments

• Jurf_WurburJurf_Wurbur Posts: 5,475
  • moetownmoetown Posts: 3,276
    Ha!

Trump isn't really a conservative. I don't think he's really a Republican, either. He's just a batshit crazy ego-maniacal charlatan that will be the president of the U.S. starting this Friday.
  • LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 7,989
    edited January 2017
    Trump is an conman who's way in over his head, but who's too stupid to realise it. He has no idea how to get anything done in Washington and, because he's so incompetent, he's totally dependent on his repug advisors. I expect Pence will be taking over soon.
  • captqitncaptqitn Posts: 3,624
    Can't be any worse than the inauguration we're bracing for.

I got a Trump metrocard holder this morning.

Hoping it'll be worth something after his impeachment.
    edited January 2017
    Jeff, your image link doesn't seem to be working.
    This one made me laugh:

Here it is attached:
    747acf2a1ecd41098b14bcffdc6adc97_720.jpg
    521 x 720 - 93K
    GROAAAAAANNNN!!!!
    Goodbye Barack Hussein Obama, America's first Muslim president.
    Hello, nice people. What's up with y'all for the weekend? Tonight, we take the kid to Scouts, then I go over to hang out with Nick, the bf of Matilda's friend Sara (maybe my fave of her friends). He is making an effort to be friends, which seems cool. He's a fireman/paramedic and a nice person.

Do any of the rest of you find that to some extent, as you get older, your friends stratify into multiple groups: the people who share your family/kids situation; the people who share your work situation; and the people you think are actually cool? At best, people cross into two of those groups, I find.

And so, I have really great friends who have kids my kid's age and are good to talk to and hang out with but listen to terrible music and don't quite live in the same cultural sphere as I'm used to being in. Then there are people I think are really cool who have no kids and live way out in the city.

Eh well. I'm glad I even HAVE friends. Have you met me? I'm the WORST.
    Nearly all my friends are on the internets.
    Ok, not quite true, but close. The only noteworthy thing this weekend: my stepdaughter moved to a new place, and she invited us for a sunday dinner. I'm curious to see how her new place looks.
    She invited you? Does that mean you're not frozen out anymore? Is she still under douche dad's spell?

I was thinking of that whole situation the other day. My older brother, who is freshly remarried and has a new home, went to renegotiate his custody. His younger daughter he got for 50% custody, which was a big victory. His older daughter, who just turned sixteen, opted to reduce her time with him to two weekends a month. She's going to go stay with her shiftless, self-absorbed mom because "she doesn't make me do annoying stuff and she's going to buy me a car."

My brother (somewhat wisely I thought) agreed, letting her learn the hard lessons about the "cool parent" in a divorce on her own.
    edited January 2017
    Dude, you haven't been to Las islas Secretas much lately, have you? Yeah, things are a lot better, and douche dad's influence is waning. She seems to have understood something, although she's not capable of talking about it openly.

You know what made her come back? Stepdaughter was devastated by a bad breakup and we were there for her. Douche dad wasn't. It's that simple.

edited January 2017
    By the way, if your brother goes along, that can be held against him: "see, I told you he doesn't give a shit". On the other hand, if he doesn't go along, that could be held against him too: "he's a control freak, he doesn't trust you, yadda yadda".

Thing is, this shit is complicated, and sometimes the wayward kid never learns the lesson about "the cool parent". We were lucky. I hope your bro is lucky too.
    Flipped over to Secret Isle, all caught up now.

Child of divorce realizes cool parent is useless, "pain in the neck" parent is a loving, supportive person is a story older than dirt. I am sure it is about to play out again in my older brother's family.
    Yeah, "pain in the neck" parent is a pain in the neck 'cause pain-in-the-neck parent actually cares. "Cool parent" is cool 'cause, basically, cool parent doesn't give a shit.
    I have been fixating on Escape from New York of late. Snake Plissken just kept popping into my mind.

I couldn't figure out why, but then I watched it again and there were these two bits:
    "I don't give a fuck about your war or your resident."

And

"The president needs your help."
    "The president of what?"

Really, the entire film is scattered with Plissken's casual contempt for the president.

Things being what they are, it's mighty mighty tasty.
    Today's mood:
    Look on the bright side: president asshat hasn't started presidenting yet and he's already polling as badly as George W Bush at the end of his shitty presidency, after the 2008 crash and the bloody disaster of the Iraq war. He's probably the weakest new commander-in-chief in living memory.
    edited January 2017
    Ok, how soon 'til the first big scandal? Bets are open!
    "First"?
    Oh, right... I mean, first scandal as president, officially speaking, know what I mean?
    Besides the fact that him being the president is a scandal, that is.