Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Riots in the street coming to a city near you

Jurf_WurburJurf_Wurbur Posts: 5,494
Happy weekend ever'body!

Comments

• moetownmoetown Posts: 3,278
    Yeehaw!
  • LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 8,009
    edited February 2017
    Have you guys heard about the attack in Sweden? It's an horrible tragedy. I'm stunned into silence by the news reports coming in. According to the news, the death toll is up to zero at the moment!
  • Jurf_WurburJurf_Wurbur Posts: 5,494
    (sigh)

It's Bowling Green all over again.
    Happy Birthday to my young'n! He's eight today. =D>
    With Obama as president, I tended to view people with shitty confederate t-shirts, anti-immigrant bumper stickers, dumbass veiled racist comments on radio shows, etc. as outliers, stragglers in a world headed in the right direction.

These days, the same people mostly seem like proof that a huge percentage of everyone I don't know is an asshole and we are all doomed.
    edited February 2017
    I thought Obama was headed in the wrong direction but, you know, somewhat slowly, in a two steps back, one step forward kind of lurch. Now, under the Putz, we're finally going at a full gallop!

In my more optimistic moments, I think it will take a huge crash and billions of deaths before things change for the better.
    edited February 2017
    All Lisbon Needs Now Is for Locals to Spend Like Tourists

All Lisbon Needs Now Is for Locals to Spend Like Tourists Have More Fucking Money.

Lisbon is nice, they have cute trolleys and shit! But austerity, it sucks.
    I don't mean to sound like I was an unqualified fan of Obama. But I do view him as a net positive. Gay marriage, LGBT protections, improved access to health care... even if he didn't nail those things 100% like I would dream, he did good work. We were certainly better off after him.

And yeah, yeah, drone attacks. That sucks. Plenty of other things suck.

But net positive? Yes.
  • captqitncaptqitn Posts: 3,629
    Billions with a B? sheesh. I hope it doesn't take that much.
    edited February 2017
    You know me, Jeff: my two favourite political hobbyhorses are the environment and inequality. I don't think Obummer did much to improve both situations. To be fair, there probably isn't much he could have done, even if he had wanted to. I mean, it's not just Obummer who has his head firmly implanted up his ass regarding those two problems. Nearly all of the entire world is living in denial.
    edited February 2017
    I hear ya. Fair warning though: the "both parties are pretty much the same thing" argument does not go over so hot in the US right now given how much evidence we've gotten in the last 30 days how fantastically, mind-blowingly, pants-shittingly untrue that is.
    edited February 2017
    I'm not giving you the old both-parties-same-thing argument. I'm giving you the old capitalism-is-fucked-and-no-one-knows-what-to-do-about-it-so-we-keep-doing-what-we-usually-do argument.
    These days, the same people mostly seem like proof that a huge percentage of everyone I don't know is an asshole and we are all doomed.
    I can totally relate. I have become incredibly misanthropic. I'm not a racist, but almost all of the people I'm hating right now are white.
  • captqitncaptqitn Posts: 3,629
    I'm sure you've got some white friends, so it's all good.
    edited February 2017
    Check this out: Canada has an arrangement with the US that refugees arriving in the US can't go to a Canadian border post and ask for refugee status, and vice versa. The US is considered to be a "safe country", and Canada is considered to be a "safe country" too.

But since Il Douche became Putzus, the number of refugees coming into Canada by going across the border without checking in at border posts has skyrocketed. You probably can figure out why: if, when coming in from the US, they bypass the border posts by, say, walking across a field in subzero temperatures, they can ask for refugee status. If they go through a border post, they're sent back to the US.

People are asking the Canadian government to rescind the agreement with the US. But our government is afraid to piss off your government, so they're hesitating. And our own scumbag conservatives don't want to rescind the agreement: they're already yammering that the refugees are security risks.
    According to the new memos, the upcoming rule changes had they been in place in 2006, would have resulted in Matilda being forcibly arrested by the cops and deported.
    One thing Herr Trumpf has done is awakened political awareness in kids as young as elementary school age.
    I got in trouble at work today and now I'm in a self-hating mood.

Short version is, we had a price increase and the online quotes weren't updated. So I was quoting higher prices than people could pull up on their own. I needed to confirm this but no one knew anything. So I sent in a request under the name "Ridiculous I Have to Do This" with similarly snarky info. I didn't think anyone would see it if I made it a garbage enough lead (the computer should have sorted it out), but my boss did and she was super pissed. She said some really harsh stuff like I had proven I wasn't a leader, destroyed my credibility, etc.

And that got me realizing what a sour ass I am much of the time and now I'm crabby.
    Your boss is over reacting. Did she actually use words like "you aren't a leader"?
    Yep.
    The owner of the company messaged me about it but when I gave him my explanation, he said, "Ha! Ok. Carry on."
    Jeff, as far a I know, in the management speak utilized by the very serious people who rule over us, "not being a leader" is a grave insult, if not the gravest of all insults! I would complain to the higher ups, accuse her of workplace harassment! You cannot let this stand!
    edited February 2017
    It probably means she feels threatened by you. Her goal is to tear you down. Jeff, don't let her win!
    Yeah! Maybe she could have a "little accident", if you know what I mean?
    edited February 2017
    The best thing to do is to keep being your charmingly crabby self and stay focused on maintaining your peace of mind. A few years ago when I was allowing my boss do my head in, I started spending a lot of time repeating a little mantra (in my mind, not out loud) that I got from Thich Nhat Hanh:

Thank you. I love you. I'm sorry. Please forgive me.

Whenever I was angry or stressed out and anxiety-ridden about work, I'd repeat it over and over. I don't know how or why it works, but after a while, shit didn't bother me as much. I still use this strategy and it still works.
    I prefer the litany against fear:

"I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    The other is easier to remember.
    The other is easier to remember.
    Sure, but mine is nerdier.