Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gardening, watching cooking shows, disapproving of your music, 'cause apparently we're 65 years old

Jurf_WurburJurf_Wurbur Posts: 5,472
Happy weekend!

Comments

• Jurf_WurburJurf_Wurbur Posts: 5,472
    I might even file my taxes!

Anyone heard any good records lately? I haven't listened to much that was new lately, mostly just been on a Califone kick.
  • LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 7,989
    How about you nice people? And you, too, Dan.
    Boy, you've become grouchy in your old age! Well, grouchier.

Sunday, we're brunching with Fred, and old friend, and then having dinner at step-daughter's place.
    edited April 2017
    Anyone heard any good records lately? I haven't listened to much that was new lately, mostly just been on a Califone kick.
    I could give you some suggestions, but you've been too grouchy.
  • matthewmatthew Posts: 417

Couldn't agree more with Curtis. On everything.
  • matthewmatthew Posts: 417
    Oh, by the way, I got fired. More on that in the secret aisles later. Just short of nine years. Finally free of those terrible people. Except now I have to go to court against them for wrongful dismissal.
    Those people did you a favor, Matthew. I'm glad you're finally free. How is school going?
    edited April 2017
    I like Adam Curtis and I have seen a bunch of his movies. But I don't always agree with him. To me at least, Curtis often sounds a bit like a conspiracy theorist: he likes to fabricate neat narratives that give the impression that there is order and intention to events that are often random and chaotic. But he's a smart guy and it's always a pleasure to hear him talk or see one of his movies.

That being said, I'm a bit miffed that he has fallen for the "Clinton lost because crackers in Indiana voted for the joker" story that has been going around. Those crackers in Indiana would have voted for the joker no matter what, those crackers in Indiana either vote republican or they stay home, and they have been doing so since the Reagan years. Sure, you can try to persuade them to vote for someone else, but you and I have spent quite a lot of time debating people on the net: you must know how hard it is to make them change their minds, even if you talk to them with the best intentions, plenty of politeness and infinite patience. It is mostly a futile exercise in futility.

Clinton lost for a variety of reasons: mostly because she campaigned badly and she has the charisma of a cucumber, but also because she had trouble getting her party's nomination, because she's a woman, because people who would normally vote for her stayed home thinking she had it in the bag, because she failed to win the support of the left of the democratic party, because the electoral college is outdated bullshit that should have gone the way of the dodo a long time ago, etc. In fact, I would go as far as saying that she lost in part because she tried to be nice to the crackers: she tried to lure them to her side, particularly after the deplorables gaffe, by being all moderate and shit... Thus further alienating her potential supporters on the left, who then endlessly whined "we like Bernie better" and stayed home.

On the other hand, I quite agree with him on the Russia thing. I find the whole thing quite funny and ironical! I mean, americans complaining with a straight face about foreigners interfering with their government! Liberals getting very chummy with the security establishment! Rumours and gossip passing for reliable information! I'm expecting a dem senator to go "The State Department is infested with russian agents" in front of TV cameras soon!

But then again, it doesn't matter how true the whole thing is! Trump deserves all of it: live by the sword, die by the sword, eh?
  • KimKim Posts: 624
    Um I'm from Indiana. Ever been here? Really have you ever been here? I did not vote repub. My family who usually votes repub did not vote that way except one ha. The music and art scene did not vote Repub. Granted we were the first state to go but please don't paint everyone STUPID who lives here and talk about someplace you've never been to like you know everything about it. Thank you
    Cracker is a southern term too. We aren't in the south but the Midwest. Find another word to call them maybe haters, religious wing nuts, idiots but cracker doesn't work this far north. Did you know Marion County which is Indianapolis almost always votes dem?
    Obama won Marion County Indianapolis
    edited April 2017
    I'm joking, Kim. I'm using both those words in a general manner, as a jokey way of referring to the stereotypical base of Trump voters (southern and midwestern whites), you know, the ones liberals apparently "despise", according to the narrative that has won as the explanation for Trump's victory.

I wrote "Indiana" thinking of you.
    edited April 2017
    In fact, it would be more accurate to say that the voting generally divides along rural versus urban lines.
    It didn't seem like you were joking.

Not that I know because I don't know or care about all the details but I would bet a very urban and probably the wealthiest county in Indiana, Hamilton, voted Trump. It is just north of Indy and the city is called Carmel.
    And I would bet the 2nd or maybe 1st richest County, Dubois, which is very rural went Clinton. They are rich Germans who live in Jasper but surrounded by forest and farms.
    http://www.politico.com/2016-election/results/map/president/indiana/

Indianapolis and Bloomington went Clinton. Two of the biggest cities. I need to go find out what cities are in St. Joseph and Lake County which I believe I know but don't want to speak out of my ass.
    http://www.newsmax.com/t/newsmax/article/636532

Lake County - Hammond, Gary or the region

St. Joseph - South Bend

Biggest cities in Indiana didn't vote Trump. Monroe County is part rural.
    edited April 2017
    We went to dinner at some friends' house Friday and they made roast pork loin, so I decided to make chicken pad thai from scratch this weekend instead. It was tasty but it hurt, it was so spicy. No one in my house is congested at all anymore.

The mushroom bisque I made was pretty badass though.
    edited April 2017
    That sounds yummy! I like cooking thai and chinese food: once you have everything cut up, it goes fast. I enjoy dicing and slicing more than cooking and serving. Plus, the ratio of proteins to vegetables and carbs on those recipes is usually about right.
    I like cooking and serving more than slicing and dicing. We'd be a great team.
    edited April 2017
    Yeah, except that I'm 'orrible at cooking with others: I have my way of doing things, and it's my way of the highway. L-)

By the way, I think Matt was bullshitting us.
    If so, he was setting it up early. The day before April Fool's, he posted a clip from Norma Rae, followed by "I'm Free Now" by Morphine.
    The Buried Giant by Kazuo Ishiguro is weird, man. An elderly couple in post-Arthurian England decides to go on a quest to find their beloved son, whom they barely remember. They barely remember him because there's hardly anyone who remembers much of anything anymore, as a mist of forgetfulness has fallen upon the land. Later, there are nights and dragons and shit.

It's basically an allegory on forgetting and forgiving, but it's not a directly translatable allegory. You always feel like you're missing something, which I suppose is part of the point.

Like I said, it's weird.
  • captqitncaptqitn Posts: 3,624
    Sounds weird.
  • captqitncaptqitn Posts: 3,624
    Working my way through all the fresh comedy on Netflix. Dave Chapelle #1 was very funny. Veers into some sketchy territory, but pulls it off.

Amy Schumer maybe wasn't as funny but was just so raw and honest, that it was more interesting to me.

If you haven't watched the new Birbiglia "thank god for jokes" special, high high recommend on that one.
    I need to watch those episodes of Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle they have on Netflix. He's my favorite comedian these days and I still haven't actually seen a drop of that.