Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeff, you are funny.

LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 8,009
Good morning!

Comments

• Jurf_WurburJurf_Wurbur Posts: 5,494
    Can’t help falling in price: why Elvis memorabilia is plummeting in value

TL;DR: it's because a significant chunk of his fanbase is dying of old age.
  • LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 8,009
    edited May 2017
    Macron campaign knew the hackers were coming, so they laid a trap and defeated them

The original daily beast article they quote is linked in the Guardian article I posted above. I dunno how much of that story is true. I hope it is.
    I had this idea this morning that I should carefully build up my Instagram feed with all of my most annoying relatives, then post a bunch of pics of erect penises and claim I was hacked.
    FWIW, the Romanians (well... a Romanian/Hungarian, her Serbian hubby, and their kids) made plans for noon, called at one to say they were on their way (from an hour away) and got there at three. It was still fun, even if we served the lunch we'd planned for dinner and had to cancel the rest of our day.

I don't think my kid runs on Romanian time either as he was verklempt at having to wait and wait for his friends to come.

It was mostly good though like a DUMBASS, I idly commented on the filtered water out of the fridge, giving the dude a window to go into his conspiracy theories about the water supply. Tilda gave me the ABORT! ABORT! face and I righted the ship and got us back on to talking about kids and whatnot.
  • captqitncaptqitn Posts: 3,629
    I hope it is.
    Me too. When the news broke on Saturday I was sure that it was going to be Hillary all over again. And not enough a fresh plot to keep it interesting.

Nice job France for choosing the lesser of two evils.
    Anyone else watching The Handmaid's Tale? It's good. The most upsetting thing about it is how plausible it has become.
    Ugh. Sinclair bought WGN. "Chicago's Very Own" is about to become another Trump mouthpiece.
    It was mostly good though like a DUMBASS, I idly commented on the filtered water out of the fridge, giving the dude a window to go into his conspiracy theories about the water supply.
    That kinda shit happens to me all the fucking time! It seems that nearly everyone has a pet crackpot theory these days! Maybe I should adopt one, and then endlessly flog it, as revenge for all the shit I've had to politely put up with.
    Nice job France for choosing the lesser of two evils.
    I'm happy they chose him and not the kinder, gentler fascist but... I think Macron is a breath of stale air.

Anyway, they will have elections for the national assembly in about a month. Macron's party needs to do well, or he won't have control of the legislative branch of the french government. That's usually pretty awkward.
  • moetownmoetown Posts: 3,278
    So France, along with its burka beach ban, has become the West's new beacon of hope?
    Why this movie is the most important of the Trump era
    Nine Lives may be a film about Kevin Spacey being turned into a cat. But it speaks directly to Donald Trump, telling him to change. It’s an attempt to alter the course of humanity
    Simon watched that and it was even more awful than that article snarkily implies it is. It's like a 90s style family comedy from the era when scripts were incidental, and they cut the budget by 60% on the first day, then forged ahead anyway.
    edited May 2017
    Little S saw the trailer, thought it was cool (kids have no taste), and lobbied hard to go see it. But I'm old enough to clearly remember the unspeakable horror that was the Beethoven franchise, so I stood my ground.
    This movie *aspired* to be Beethoven... and failed.
    "Nine Lives" may as well have been called "Fuck You, We Have Bills."
    edited May 2017
    Did you know that the New York Times is soliciting nice comments about Trump to put in its weekly review?

Here's the link: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/06/opinion/sunday/when-trump-knows-enough-to-stay-home.html

I've included a screen capture below, in case they change it.

screen-shot-2017-05-09-at-7-11-19-am.png
    598 x 147 - 19K
    edited May 2017
    I really hope they're doing it for the lulz. It’s such a smarmy idea that everyone will think it's irony. Everyone but Trump, that is. I mean, I'm pretty sure everyone is going to send in “praise” filled with double meanings and inside jokes. Anyway, I hope they’re mocking him.

If this is so, then it’s brilliant. Otherwise, then yeah, it’s just pathetic.
    I think it's a "How can we can hate you and be unfair if we literally begged people to say nice shit about you?" move. It's strictly to mute "fake news" accusations.
    It's also a tacit admission that if they are ever going to publish anything glowing about Trump, it's going to have to be someone's personal opinion as the actual reality of things doesn't really ever go his way.
  • matthewmatthew Posts: 421
    Perhaps pointless of me to post, but I was actually caught off guard by how awful Rogue One was. I would say that that film now stands as the worst Star Wars film. It's neither the simple space opera of the original series, nor the unintentionally hilarious and overly-ambitious disaster of the prequels, nor the boffo box office fanboy-service of the JJ Abrams reboot-sequel... just a dreary, soulless, character-free, cliche-ridden cash grab that is 70% incomprehensible mess, 30% a WWII Okinawa-style invasion of an Abu Dhabi resort. I almost feel bad for Star Wars goobs.
    I feel badly for them because they (most of them) lap up whatever diarrhea is set down in a bowl for them. Why is so hard for these people to admit that something so obviously shit is shit? I gave up on the Alien franchise back in 1997. It's only gotten worse with time.

Actually, Rogue One is very similarly awful to Alien Prometheus in that it retcons the backstory to the point that what happens in the original films now makes little sense.

And then, of course, there is this:

Not that anyone cares, but what I am referring to is the ending of Rogue One. Given what is depicted in Rogue, Leia's pleas at the beginning of A New Hope now make little sense. As does the entire exchange between Captain Antilles and Darth Vader. Vader says that they know that Leia's ship (Tantive IV) "INTERCEPTED" "TRANSMISSIONS" and that he knows that that the Rebels have the Death Star plans... but Rogue One depicts the rebels physically passing the plans (on floppy disc) to the Tantive IV, and Darth Vader himself physically intervenes to prevent them from doing so. We actually see Vader watch as the Tantive IV flies away.

More importantly, the entire tone of the opening exchange between Leia and Vader is now spoiled and continuity ruined. Because it the Tantive IV had picked up the plans at the Battle of Scarif, there would be no reason for Leia to pretend that her ship was on some diplomatic mission passing peacefully through space. In that scene Leia pretends to be outraged that Vader has boarded her peaceful 'consular ship' without reason while Vader counters that he knows that they secretly received a "transmission" from "rebel spies", none of which fits with how the events are depicted in Rogue One. Rogue One just demolishes any sense that things were 'quiet' before the Tantive IV was boarded at the beginning of Star Wars. Instead, Tantive IV appears to have just managed to escape a major battle in which they were passed a physical document, rather than espionage being carried out behind the face of neutral diplomacy.

Why do I goob out over a film franchise that I have never really cared about? I don't know. I only watched it because RiffTrax just released their take on it. Sadly, the first hour of the movie is so excruciatingly tedious that even the RiffTrax couldn't render it remotely enjoyable.
    More spoilers: It opens with a visit to a bucolic imagery out in the boondocks of space where an engineer is hiding with his family. For no reason at all the imperial spacecraft parks approximately two kilometres away from the farm, necessitating the familiar visual trope of a long walk by the imperial soldiery through long, blowing grass. The bad guy insists that the engineer work for the empire and he refuses, etc. The wife then inexplicably abandons their only child in the mountains of this remote world so that she can be cut down by the six "Death Troopers" (StormTroopers that are all black. An obvious wankjob for the fanboys salivating over more badass-looking tactical-swat-team-looking militarism and tech) that she decided to challenge with a single pistol. If it sounds like you've seen this cliche a billion times before (Rob Roy/Braveheart/Gladiator/Highlander, etc.), it's because you have.

As lazy and uninspired as it is, the idea that the Empire would opt to murder the wife of the one man on whom they were entirely dependent, is absurd. Why would they not take her captive as some sort of incentive for him to continue working for them? Really, eliminating one of two reasons he had to live was the best strategy when approaching someone already hostile to their plans? That they then allowed this man, whom had no reason to believe that his daughter was still alive, complete control of their project, despite the fact that he had every reason to sabotage their plans? ???

Still, this is no more absurd than his character's decision to continue living (without reason to do so) to help them build a fully operational Death Star ... his only act of resistance is to work a vulnerability into the plans (which they apparently replicated in the second Death Star) ...a weakness that he can only HOPE - against all odds - that he will be able to transmit to Rebel forces before the weapon is used. From his perspective it should have been perfectly obvious that it was extremely unlikely that he would be able to make contact with Rebel forces. In fact, when it does happen it is practically a miracle.

Even then, it is too late. The weapon is used to destroy millions of lives on Jedha, and is later used to annihilate Alderaan (Wookiepedia says TWO BILLION people died). Hundreds of thousands or millions more die fighting the Empire in attempts to destroy the Death Star. And yet, for his effort Galen Erso is depicted as some sort of hero in Rogue One, as the man that made the events in Star Wars (1977) possible.

It defies all reason that he would be seen as anything resembling a hero. As does his rationale that he HAD to do the work for them because if he didn't someone else would, and his replacement would NOT have built an Achilles Heel into the structure. If someone (anyone) could have replaced him, why was the Empire dependent on him to build the Death Star in the first place?
    Dude, Star Wars is for dweebs! True nerds watch Star Trek.
    I mean, these are continuity flaws. Fanboys shrug this shit off on a regular basis. What is really awful is the fact that Rogue One is basically a shitty G.I. Joe movie in space.
    But with better special effects!