Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Shake my old ass head

Jurf_WurburJurf_Wurbur Posts: 5,497
Good morning!

Comments

• Jurf_WurburJurf_Wurbur Posts: 5,497
    edited May 2017
    This American Epic series on PBS is pretty good. It's about roots music and the first ep is a lot about the Carter Family and the Memphis Jug Band.

This clip has some of Nas fronting Jack White's band, covering the Memphis Jug Band song "On the Road Again."

This is the audio of the whole song:

• KimKim Posts: 624
    Thanks Jeff I enjoy watching music history. I should have been a musicologist. I never knew at that time about musicology as a degree. I don't know what you would do as an occupation besides being a writer. I can't write worth shit. I also have a hard time expressing what I'm trying to say.

I like the thread title :smile: made me smile and I've been kinda depressed. Simon looks like a combination of you two, Jeff. I saw his mom in a pic of him the other day. You guys took a really nice picture near your anniversary on Facebook.

So Eric, is NYC locked down because of the terrorism in Manchester? I'm thinking everything slows down probably and is a drag but I would rather feel safe.

I hope everyone is doing well. I got a new book about Jason Molina today. I'm going to tear into it tonight. Tv, reading, and music is all I've been doing. I booked my last show last Friday. It was packed and a birthday party for my friend. Tired of it.

No plans for the weekend. I think I might be a hermit and get my Weber Smokey Joe out and grill something, read, watch tv and movies and listen to music. It's a tradition to listen to the Indy 500 on the radio race day ever since I can remember. A lot of Hoosier traditions in prerace ceremonies
    Oh Lucas graduates HS Friday. My baby is grown :cry:

Tomorrow he runs the 800 in the HS Regionals at my high school. He has a real good chance to win it and go to Semi State. I'm proud of him he got all As in high school and is on Honor Society
  • moetownmoetown Posts: 3,278
    Way to go, Lucas!!!
    Huzzah for Lucas!

What's the Molina book called, Kim? He's one of my very favorites.

Thanks for the kind words about my family.
    Simon cracks me up. Keep talking about your kid, he's :lol: funny!

IMG_9633.PNG
    640 x 1136 - 248K
    Thank you guys very much! I'm really proud of Lucas. I'm really scared about him going into the Air Force SERE Special Forces though. I'm honored he wants to serve his country but afraid naturally and because there is an idiot with no self control as President.

He goes to Basic Training for 7.5 weeks in San Antonio, TX on July 4, 2017. After that he goes to Spokane, Washington for four (4) years. He told me he wants to be a SERE Instructor. What I don't know is for example: when his basic training is over with will he be deployed if we go to war? I think he told me he would be deployed at least once.
    Chris Cornell liked Prog. Listened to his Maron interview
  • captqitncaptqitn Posts: 3,629
    Go Lucas! (and be careful)
    Not sure about NYC, I'm in Baltimore/D.C. these days. Haven't seen the usual uptick in dogs and machine guns in the train stations. I guess they're determined this was a very British group at work.

Despite all the national embarrassments abroad, it's been nice to not have 45 in town this week. Somebody else is taking care of racist grampa for a few days.
    oh I thought you still commuted to NYC?!
    Oh god no. It's bad enough coming to DC. NY would be 4 hours each way. I'm not THAT dedicated.
    Did you get a new job or a transfer? I can't remember you saying you were looking for a job? I have a green brain and tend to forget shit though. Also I'm a small town Indiana girl who has no idea how long it takes to commute :lol:
    It took me about 8 months to find a job in DC, but I kept my NY job while I searched so it wasn't a hardship (except being away from S_____). I've been here for 5 years now.
    I know I'm a day early, but I'm off tomorrow.... so would anybody mind terribly telling me what they're up to this weekend?!?!?
    Ok, I'll start.

Tomorrow is a lovely day off with the misses. I'm voting for naked gardening.

Saturday the boys are coming down with A_____'s bestie. We are having A____'s annual Bubs-B-Q cookout on Sunday. The theme this year is "MUSIC". Thanks to y'all that played along with my FB mixtape game. It came out great.

Monday will be pretty chill. I think A____ is hyped to show his friend (who's also a killer musician) the recording studio and work up some jamz.

Is that mixtape available as a Spotify list?
    edited May 2017
    That sounds like a great weekend. We're going to take it easy, maybe have some friends over. Our friends Susanne and Luke used to be irregular visitors, because she traveled so much for work. but I got her hired on here (she starts next month) so we figure to be seeing more of them.

I'll likely keep goobing out on my computer projects too. I've been dinking around with Linux on tiny computers and old laptops. A buddy says he has a stack of four old machines I can have. Susanne is bringing one too. I hope to being some or all of them back to usefulness while also trying out different versions of Linux and learning stuff along the way.

I'm thinking we'll grill mititei on Monday. (Aka "mici" (MEECH) or "cevapcici.") Those are the little garlicky skinless sausages Romanians (and some other Europeans) grill when they have cookouts. High time I learned to make those. I found a recipe online and am going to give it a shot.
    It does! Thanks!
    I think us folks on FB got sidetracked into songs about musicians rather than songs about music. I see better now what you're going for. Nice playlist!
    Thanks!

Yes. I was worried that there wouldn't enough songs about the pure concept of music so I thought I'd broaden it. 160 replies later, I realized I could be a little more rigid.
    My revised entry would have been "The Late Greats" by Wilco.
    The best songs will never get sung
    The best life never leaves your lungs
    So good you won't ever know
    You'll never hear it on the radio
    Can't hear it on the radio
  • LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 8,009
    I'm happy to see that two of my suggestion made it to that list!
  • moetownmoetown Posts: 3,278
    Our annual end of the year ceremony was tonight. I really detest 13 hour work days. At least I have Monday off. But then I have to work through Saturday! Freakin' Saturday!

But then summer vacay starts. This summer the school district is forcing teachers to enroll in workshops. That means that I'm obligated to attend several over the summer. I have a suspicion that this experiment will lead to more 'keeping teachers busy' days in future summers. Only 8 more years until I'm eligible for retirement...
    8 years? That's amazing. I'll be working until I'm dead, most likely.
    Me too and I have no retirement and social security will be gone when I'm 65 and older. I will prob be leading the homeless camp with music and shrimp
    edited May 2017
    Weekend plans - See Luke graduate tonight. Read my Jason Molina book, clean a little, listen to the Indy 500 prerace and race on radio, grill out and be a hermit. I will prob only talk to Lucky my dog ha.

Luke was ranked and seeded #2 by time in his race in Regionals. He started off too fast (Matt knew when he was ahead on lap 1 at turn 3 he went out way too fast. Matt ran the 800 too. It's 2 laps) and finished terrible. He was really sad.

You know how I know I'm really depressed I've missed 3 sold out shows I had tickets to.

1 Hiss Golden Messenger (MC Taylor of Court and Spark)
    2. Ty Segall and my friends opened for him cause they are friends with him when they lived in San Francisco.
    3. Diarrhea Planet, Tough Shits, White Reaper and Dirtbike