Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

(Lowkey checking out Moe's bod)

LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 8,009
Howdy! Time for a new thread!

Comments

• LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 8,009
    I've seen Attack The Block. Yeah, it's worth seeing, I think.
    edited July 2017
    Quebec's city muslim community doesn't have a cemetery, a problem that became blatant after the Quebec City mosque shooting. They tried to get a plot in a multi-confessional cemetery in a small town not far from QC called Saint-Apollinaire. But the project had to be approved by locals. Unsurprisingly, it was rejected. 8-|

Muslim ghosts are the worse, you know?
  • Jurf_WurburJurf_Wurbur Posts: 5,494
    Cemeteries are the weirdest anyway. Imagine meeting an alien and trying to explain that sure, we're crowded here and pushing towards overpopulation. But also, we save our dead people's bodies and give them chunks of land in perpetuity because REASONS.
  • moetownmoetown Posts: 3,278
    Soylent Green just makes more sense. Either that or figure out a way to turn dead people into an energy source.
    "This just in, Elon Musk is working on a car that runs on dead people."
  • captqitncaptqitn Posts: 3,629
    Makes more sense than dead dinosaurs.
    I've been considering enrolling in some sort of martial arts class. I'm not sure, but maybe the most appropriate one for me would be Jew-Jitsu.
    Shalom, Shogun.
    I saw the new Planet of the Apes movie this weekend. It was fun, probably the best of that series.
    Why is it that Spotify won't let me play some songs on my desktop, but will let me play the same songs on my phone? Example: I tried to listen to Labour of Lust on my computer, but I kept getting these 'can't play the song' messages for pretty much the whole album. If I use my phone app, I can listen to the entire album.
    Never experienced that.
    I bought a cheap, starter-level mandolin that comes today. I'm kinda psyched about it.

After seeing bluegrass on PBS, Simon is kinda interested in it now, so I thought I'd dink around, see if he and I could learn some stuff.

He also wants to make a cigar box guitar, so after Matilda and I finish restaining our deck, he and I will probably do that.
    Ah fun.

A friend left a mandolin over at our house about 3 months ago and the dudes have been enjoying it. I should probably dick around with it before my friend takes it back.
    Simon asked if we could get one and I went into a speech about how musical instruments cost a lot of money and he'd need to be interested for more than a week before I dropped that kind of dough...

And then I looked them up and found a starter one online, actually wood, full-sized, reviews said it was workable and solid, though obviously not a world-beater... and it was $50, shipped.

I was like, "Goddammit, now I have to buy a mandolin."
    This is the one I got:

Nice. Hope it gets some play.
  • matthewmatthew Posts: 421
    I am somewhat concerned that Trump is going to be so embattled that he is eventually going to resign. I am worried for a numbers of reasons.

First, despite what the Democratic Party says, Trump is to the left of the Republican Party on a number of issues (some only personally (hidden because of his temporary alignment with the Republicans), but others politically), and is not the most right wing individual they have run against (though he is maybe the most overt about his authoritarian aspirations).

I'm not saying that this means that he has a 'good side', I think it means that he is a constant thorn in the side of the Republican Party because of all the populist policies he offered his followers.

Second, I believe that the stink of Trump's repugnant behaviour and repellent personality could do more damage to the Christian Right than decades of secular activism have managed. They are eroding their own credibility with their alliance with him.

Third, I fear that the Republican Party will be overjoyed to see him vacate the Presidency. Without Trump in their way they will think nothing of powering ahead with every extreme right fantasy of theirs. They may be able to carry this out with complete control of congress. They will even be able to capitalize on popular resentment (amongst MAGA supporters) of the liberal media/deep state/etc. following his departure, and use this to rationalize an even more extreme vision than Trump ever argued for.

As awful as things are now, I worry that matters could get even worse with him gone.

[I am not arguing to 'let America fail' just to punish Trump or the Republicans, only concerned with how the Republicans will move to exploit his eventual departure, which I believe is not that unlikely]
    edited July 2017
    I agree. Things aren't going to get better when Trump is gone. Perfect world, he continues to hinder the Republican congress until 2018, and then (????) and then Democrats take back both houses and deactivate his power.

I think his ego will keep him from resigning. The Democrats not blowing it again is the harder part of my wish.
  • matthewmatthew Posts: 421
    cough
    maegsd.jpg
    540 x 517 - 34K
    edited July 2017
    I hear the pee tape comes out tomorrow...
    edited July 2017
    I bought a decent Korean-made mando as a xmas gift for my wife a few years back. Wifey took classes, and we've practiced a few tunes together, she on the mando, I on the acoustic guitar.

I've tried it too and... Playing mandolin is hard, man! I've been playing guitar since I was a teen (still suck), but those tiny frets and that small neck, that weird tuning (EADG) and the combination of doubled strings and high tension makes my fingers hurt.
    edited July 2017
    Well, president shit-fer-brains has one thing going for him: he's so fucking incompetent that he can't get anything done. Lets hope it stays that way.
    My fingertips hurt from playing yesterday. I learned three chords and can peck out part of "Maggie May," "Let's Kill Saturday Night," and "Losing My Religion." It was fun.

I ordered a tuner that should arrive today and that will help, though I think I'm getting tuning maybe 95-97% accurate just by matching YT vids by ear.

I really like it, actually. It might be the ultimate Thing to Hold in My Lap and Noodle With that I have ever owned, which is critical for a hyperactive person.
    Mama asked if we could invite that Romanian woman over from the neighbor couple we used to be friends with until she started trying to tell Matilda she was a bad mother for working and that I was a terrible person.

Why?

(Translated from Hungarian, naturally) "Because I will enjoy seeing that awful woman become jealous at how nice your home is."

Mama is stone cold, ya'll.

Savage.
    edited July 2017
    Did y'all watch John Oliver a few weeks back?

This asshole is on local news programs across the US in a segment distributed by Sinclair TV. This is the America that's out there right now.

There are perfectly good free tuner phone apps these days.
    edited July 2017
    I used one of those yesterday some, too. It was fine. I figured for $7, it's nice to have the gadget that tells me how I'm doing.
    Anybody have any good tv recs? We're low on decent stuff to watch. We did start Broadchurch finally, which is pretty good.
    Maybe we should finally watch Mad Men