Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

She's a hoot ha

Comments

• KimKim Posts: 624
    Just curious, why do you have to do everything?

My mom had a good rule that I used also. We could not "play" inside or outside until our homework was done.
  • My mother-in-law has a rule, too. She asks Simon to do what he's supposed to do once in a soft voice then if he ignores her or says no, she mutters and walks away and lets him do what he wants then tells us later he is unmanageable.
  • I'm kind of done with Mama for this trip.
  • MY MOM, on the other hand, when she comes here... I come home and Simon's homework is done, his room is clean, he's worked on a craft project with her, gone for a walk, and is helping her cook dinner.
  • My wife isn't home until 7:30 or so, so she handles teeth brushing, face washing, bedtime, etc. I'm on duty from about 6-8.
    Damn, I could kind of tell she was getting on your nerves when you called her mother in law.

So Simon and Mama play each other basically? Wonder what mama's motivation is? Maybe you need to tell Simon I SAID YOUR HOMEWORK NEEDS TO BE DONE AND IF ITS NOT WHEN I GET HOME YOU ARE IN TROUBLE. Lay down the dad law.

I'm glad your mom helps you and follows the rules. Sorry if I irritated you, I'm definitely not the world's greatest parent as you know.
  • Jurf_WurburJurf_Wurbur Posts: 5,497
    edited September 2017
    I SAID YOUR HOMEWORK NEEDS TO BE DONE AND IF ITS NOT WHEN I GET HOME YOU ARE IN TROUBLE
    I say this literally every day. Today, we're having to skip the parents/kids board game mixer at school where we could have met some of the other parents because he hadn't done his homework when I got home.
    I had to make my kids go to bed after dinner for not doing things I asked a few times. That usually worked because they both were very active whether they were playing with other kids or doing their own thing.

Parenting is hard. As long as you're trying that's all you can do really.
    I was strict since I had two boys and just me. Even though I was strict I still got walked over and Matt did whatever he wanted his freshman/sophomore years and had zero respect for me. Parenting is hard, marriage is hard, life is hard
    Luke didn't disrespect me or get in any trouble but I think Matt's troubles scared the shit out of him.
  • Honestly, Simon is just ADD just like I was. He has an ability to make homework he could do in five minutes take 45 minutes, while becoming both laughably distracted and sincerely anxious and worried about being distracted and behind at the same time.

It's... going to be a challenge.
  • captqitncaptqitn Posts: 3,629
    Stuff is definitely hard. I got pretty lucky with A and E so far, but I can feel that E___ is going to have an actual teenage experience. The eye-rolling and moodiness has started.
    A_____ is going to have his back surgery in June. Spinal fusions and metal rods. We are all glad that it wasn't progressing so fast that we had to interrupt his school year to deal with it.
  • I'm both sad for him and happy it's getting taken care of, at least.
  • Simon's mostly a good kid, he just runs up against that ADD wall when trying to stay on task.
  • I guess I got the kid I deserved.
    I'm glad A has time to process the surgery and it won't affect school. You guys are all good dads! You love and spend time with your kids unconditionally and that's remarkable:)
    (angrily cueing up Candy Apple Grey in Spotify)
  • Last night, i came home and Simon hadn't finished any of his homework. He told me while choking up that it was very hard and he'd spent all day on it since he got home from school and he didn't know what to do.

I spent a long time helping him get it done and gave him a pep talk about (ADD-ish) issues with distraction and told him not to get disheartened that I knew he was a good kid.

Then I put some chicken in the oven for his dinner and sat down to check the Cubs score.

When I turned on the tv, the little dickhead still had his show paused from where he'd been watching tv until like 30 minutes before I got home.
  • matthewmatthew Posts: 421
    I was never a big Husker Du fan, but Grant Hart has died.
    That little conniving son of a b.
  • Is it awful to say I liked the Posies song about Grant Hart as much as I liked any of Grant Hart's actual songs?
    Not as awful as all my FB friends putting up the Replacement's song when Alex Chilton passed.
    I loved "Warehouse: songs and stories". Played it incessantly for months. But it probably says something that I never explored the rest of their catalog.

Or maybe it just shows I have a lazy curiosity bone sometimes.
  • I still miss Alex Chilton.
    He hadn't been putting out much that I'd loved in a while, but I loved the idea that he was still out there, puttering around in new Orleans and being diffident.
  • LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 8,009
    edited September 2017
    You guys oughta check out Nova Mob (in particular the Last Days of Pompey record), something Grant Hart did after Husker Dü. Different vibe, far less abrasive.
    edited September 2017
    Little S. went for a haircut with her mom yesterday. She likes her hair short these days, but this time the hairdresser went too far. She went "I look like a boy!" and then she started crying. Oy!

It took us a while to get her to feel better, but after the judicious application of a bit of hair gel and a few feminine accessories, she decided that her new do looked cool after all.
    I loved "Warehouse: songs and stories". Played it incessantly for months. But it probably says something that I never explored the rest of their catalog.
    I share your love of that record. I also love Zen Arcade, but I have to be in a particular mood to listen to it, whereas I'm always game for Warehouse.
  • I'll maybe spin that one on the way home.

But like Eric said last week, I'm getting pretty tired of my listening selections being dictated by who just died.