Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Woodshop and metalshop classes

LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 7,989
edited September 2017 in Main
Good morning! And how are you today?

Comments

• LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 7,989
    Has anyone seen the new Star Trek? I think the first episodes were aired yesterday. I haven't. I'm betting it's shit. I hope I'm wrong.
  • Jurf_WurburJurf_Wurbur Posts: 5,475
    edited September 2017
    I thought the first episode was pretty good. A little less pew-pew-pew space action and a little more "How do we strategize our way out of this?" I liked Michelle Yeoh as the Captain, Sonequa Martin-Green as number one, and Doug Jones as the sort of biologically-hardwired-to-retreat Lt. Saru. They're also setting up some race vs. culture stuff with the Klingons & terrorism that interests me. And Green's character is sort of what would happen if a Kirk-like personality was raised by Vulcans. The Kirk vs. Spock/gut vs. logic conflict is internal in this case, which is interesting.

Very nice cinematography, too. Probably some of the best space/sci-fi imagery ever made for TV.

My only complaints were that they spent way, way too much time with subtitled Klingon dialogue and a bit too much time with show-off-y (but mostly nonsense) science talk.

I'm cautiously optimistic. We'll probably watch the second ep of the two part premiere tonight.
    edited September 2017
    The horror fest was great fun. I actually liked about a third of the stuff, which is a decent rate for this kind of thing.

Several of the short films are online. A couple of the more serious ones I liked are not, but a few of the funnier ones are.

Check this one out:
    edited September 2017
    The fact that the new Trek show is causing a lot of butthurt in people who can't process a plainly progressively-minded show with two female POC as leads is also tasty.
    Little S. is a trekkie now. Can it be seen by a 10 year old?
  • Maybe? The heavy Klingon and intense gobbledygook might be a deterrent. But it looks great and has very cool female leads, so maybe.

If you sort of imagine the all-time technobabble scale from Star Trek from one to ten, the new pilot clocks in at a solid 9 on that scale. It's a lot. I was zoning out a little myself.
    edited September 2017
    Ok. As soon as I find a version with half-decent french subtitles (it won't be long), I'll give it a try.
  • Heads up though: this show is shaping up to be not so much an exploration show as much as it is a Trek-ian thinkpiece on the ethics of war.
    Trek meets Battlestar Galactica?
  • Maybe? I don't want to sound like I know more about what's going to happen than I do. But I get the feeling it may be more of a command room view of war than a nitty gritty thing like BSG.
  • I'll tell you this: it looks AT LEAST AS GOOD as the Abrams movies.

(Speaking of those, despite having been mildly positive on the first one of those, I thought the second was terrible and the third one felt like more of the same stink and I quit after 15 minutes.)
  • captqitncaptqitn Posts: 3,624
    Been making my way through the Galapagos series on Netflix. If you like animals and shit, I recommend.
  • moetownmoetown Posts: 3,276
    I like animals and I'm ok with shit, so perhaps I'll check that out.
    NASCAR doesn't do anthem protests.
  • matthewmatthew Posts: 419
    The shift from nearly two years of Trump apocalyptic speeches about the sun setting on America after eight years of Obama (according to him: a worthless garbage heap whose citizens lived in constant terror of being victimized by Muslims, Mexicans, and Black Lives Matter) back to chants of "U-S-A! U-S-A!" in the response to displays of protest, reminds me of this David Cross bit (at 6:50)

Not his best album, but this bit is great.

I should forward your conversation about coding to my ladyfriend. She is currently in NYC working for one of the bad guys. She has zero interest in working in the finance industry, but is super passionate about what she is learning there (she is pretty much training/going to classes there).
  • TrippTripp Posts: 676
    edited September 2017
    I dig the new Star Trek. It looks great. Not crazy about the uniforms but whatever. I guess it bridges the gap between Enterprise and TOS in a way. Yes, too much Klingonese but the Klingons ARE intimidating. When Burnham meets a Klingon Sentry I thought it evoked Jack Kirby actually so you know I liked that.
    It's ok for a ten year old I think. There are many flashbacks to Burnham being raised by Sarek. Adding Sarek is a nice touch too.
    I'd say its way better than the Abrams movies and it's a better start than most Trek shows have had. Next Generation pretty much sucked for 2 years before they found their footing.
    I'd say my only complaint is Burnham. She hasn't clicked with me exactly. And Michelle Yeoh was OK.
    But yeah, thumbs up from the craggly old Trekkie.
  • My main reservation isn't even anything to do with the show as it has aired... it's that Bryan Fuller (American Gods, Hannibal, the one season of Heroes that was good, etc.) worked on the pilot but left not long after. I'd hate to get several eps in and get that sinking feeling I got when he left Heroes and it all quickly fell apart...
    Cool! Thanks for the review, Tripp. I'll definitely check it out.
    Yeah, I'm very worried about Kurtzman at the helm. We know Harry Mudd is showing up and apparently the Mirror Universe. I'm REALLY hoping they stick with the anthology series idea but I have a feeling they won't.
    But rumor is that Nicholas Myers has been working on something else Trek related. Hoping it's a new season of some other era of Trek. Like, maybe post-nextgen.
    Jeff, I really liked Star Trek: Beyond. They really got the relationships right. That made a huge difference. Still had that... otherness of the previous two movies but you can tell somebody that really loves and gets Trek was behind the camera.
    I've been having a difficult relationship with TV for a while now. I can't seem to even want to get into anything. Maybe it's just a phase. I'd just rather read a book.
    What have you been reading, Ev?
    I'm halfway through a book on the history of ideas on volcanic eruptions (Melting the Earth, by Haraldur Sigurdsson).
    Sessions Calls for ‘Recommitment’ to Free Speech on Campus, Diving Into Debate
    “A national recommitment to free speech on campus and to ensuring First Amendment rights is long overdue,” Mr. Sessions said, addressing an audience that included students wearing tape over their mouths in protest of the Trump administration. “Protesters are now routinely shutting down speeches and debates across the country in an effort to silence voices that insufficiently conform with their views.”
    He's having a laugh, isn't he?
    edited September 2017
    I watched the first ten minutes of Beyond and was deeply bored. Maybe I was just in a mood. Or maybe it picks up. Or maybe (most likely) I still had such a grudge over Into Darkness that I wasn't ready to forgive them yet.
    edited September 2017
    That book sounds like a logical followup to the one I'm reading, Krakatoa: The Day the World Exploded, by Simon Winchester.
    Apparently they are going to begin filming a biopic of Ruth Bader Ginsberg at McGill campus starting next wee. It was originally set to star Natalie Portman, but she has been replaced with Felicity Jones. Really don't know her other than that awful Rogue One movie.