Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Happy Halloween, Y'all!

Comments

• KimKim Posts: 624
    So sorry for your loss Eric.
  • Jurf_WurburJurf_Wurbur Posts: 5,475
    (pinch hitting for Eric)

SO WHAT'S EVERYBODY DOING THIS WEEKEND?
    In addition to the aforementioned memorial for my cousin, this weekend will also feature: me having tonight to myself (Tilda is taking Simon to scouts), the fam going to see Thor Ragnarok on Sunday, and a fair bit of deliberating on Tilda's future as she has not one but TWO very good job offers she needs to choose from by Monday.
    edited November 2017
    Same damn thing as always ... I might go for a drive and try and find my great grandparent’s house and farm in Martinsville, IN. The leaves on the trees finally look pretty in orange, red and yellow.
    They have been dead for at least 20 years?
    edited November 2017
    Oh I baked 6 dozen chocolate chip cookies for Matthew and Lucas. It cost $75 to mail cookies to Honolulu, Hawaii and San Antonio, Texas! The most expensive was $44 to Honolulu.

Matthew is a Butcher on Norwegian Cruise Lines ship the Pride of America. It sails up and down the Hawaiian Islands. He’s already taken up surfing and paddle boarding. He’s very active and works out all the time so it’s not surprising. He loves it. He works 12 hour days, mostly 7 days a week. His shift starts very early though so he has time to do things when they are in port. He is on a 6 month tour so he won’t be back until April 2018 for 6 weeks then off on another tour. In February he will be able to give me a 50% discount. I’ve never wanted to go on a cruise but for that much I will and see all of Hawaii.

Lucas is still in San Antonio in the Air Force. He will be sent to a Kirtland Air Force base in Albuquerque, New Mexico in mid January. He is in Security Forces. I also sent him a nerf basketball hoop ha.

My holidays are going to suck. Neither will be home for Thanksgiving and Lucas will be home for Christmas but he will probably be staying at his Dad’s.
    edited November 2017
    I mailed the cookies on Wednesday and Lucas will get his on Monday and Matt will get his on the following Wednesday. Mailed at UPS.
    Matthew, 22
    E519DBA4-3AC8-4414-88A4-FCC550F5697B.jpeg
    540 x 668 - 63K
    Lucas, 19
    529C2837-9983-4A86-B925-ECA25DF75C8F.jpeg
    1536 x 2048 - 783K
    Matthew looks like me when I’m thin ha and Lucas looks exactly like his father.
    Fine looking family, Kim.
    edited November 2017
    Thank you very much! I would like to think they are fairly well mannered and nice young men too. I’m proud of them. My friends and family like them. It would suck if you had an asshole, annoying offspring as an adult ha

I’m watching the last concert, supposedly of Black Sabbath in Birmingham (same venue they played 1st concert) from February 2017. It reminds me of either 5th or 6th grade learning about Sabbath from this kid at school. Everyone liked Kiss and he brought that in! I was always scared of them thinking I was too close to the devil or something ha! I was always afraid I was going to get in trouble.

I wouldn’t say I was really religious then either. Back then I only had albums my mom and dad would allow because I had no income. I didn’t have my own income until junior high but in Indianapolis at the time there weren’t that many good record stores and I didn’t drive and too far to ride my bike. I think in elementary school the best music I had was Elvis and Jackson 5

This show is good though it’s called :
    Black Sabbath: The End of the End
    edited November 2017
    So as a parent I let my kids buy whatever music they wanted and I never said “Turn that shit down and/or off” either. Even though there were times I really wanted to ha! I’m stubborn
    Give me one good reason to not vanquish you to another dimension
  • moetownmoetown Posts: 3,276
    I can't think of any. Please vanquish me.

R.I.P. Kevin Spacey's career. I really liked a lot of Spacey's work. It's all very disappointing.
    That was a Geico commercial but I thought it sounded like a superhero. Must of been high
    Another church massacre in a small Texas town. More than twice as many killed or injured than in the last N.Y. attack. No one was yelling Allah akbar this time.
    They'll probably scapegoat atheists for this one.
    We can all rest easy because President Fuckface says he's monitoring the situation from Japan.
  • matthewmatthew Posts: 419
    Crap, just heard about Sean from Home. That bums me out. Sorry to hear that, Eric. For what it is worth, "Juicy Ass" is in my playlist of songs I usually drum along to every time I visit my parent's place...it's a simple song with a great groove (and sense of humour). Love the guitar and lyrics...everything about it. Looking at my itunes, it has at least 60 plays on my ipod since I reloaded all of my music from my harddrives. I really do love the hell out of it. So, even if I never met him, he brought me great joy in my lifetime.
    I came here post this...and now it feels lame...but, I need some levity, and maybe we all do...

https://www.facebook.com/349054248862122/videos/371496683284545/
    Ugh, that video deserves this equally terrible video

• LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 7,989
    We don't deserve neither of those videos.
    edited November 2017
    And now for something completely different...

Remember the "Panama Papers"? Have you guys heard about the "Paradise Papers"? What are the Paradise Papers and what do they tell us?

It's not the kind of stuff corporate owned US media like to talk about, and there was another mass shooting, and Trump said a few more dumb things, so it may have escaped your attention.
    I don't know, Paradise Papers are all over my Facebook feed.
    I didn't see it anywhere on mine.
    edited November 2017
    By the way, Montreal has a new mayor! A left leaning member of the fairest sex, first time ever! I voted for her, I think it's one of the first times someone I voted for has won something!
    They really shit the bed with Stranger Things 2. I didn't think that much of the original, but jesus christ, what a disaster. Bottomlessly terrible writing. What made them think that marginalizing the children/high school element to instead focus on Eleven's mindnumbingly dull, profoundly unoriginal backstory (pretty much everything to do with the secret lab is tedious to watch, as nothing ever seems to happen there and it looks like a cheap SciFi channel tv show) and making adults, especially Sean Astin and Paul Reiser, the de facto stars of the second season? Really, what the fuck were they thinking?

Will's visions in the second episode sorta keep something of the first season alive, but they so quickly lay everything out on the table that all of the mystery behind what is going on is sapped. Everything that comes is familiar (and not in a kitschy hipster reference sort of way like the Aliens, 1986 action sequence). At this point it is essentially a procession of cliches and tropes that aren't even particular to 80s film (small child scribbling crayon drawings of the visions he is plagued with ...and some character magically recognizing a clue hidden in them, etc.).

Nothing about what happens makes any sense (nor is it entertaining to watch), there is ZERO character development in the second season, the kid who played Mike all but vanishes from the series, the addition of Max adds nothing, the bickering between Lucas and Dustin doesn't cut it as the stand-in for the interplay between the four boys in the first season, the fleeting references to Steve and Nancy are empty, everything that happens is arbitrary (why is there a Demogorgon baby Dustin's garbage can?), the shoehorned K-Tel Best of 80s soundtrack and eye-roll-incuding references lost their novelty a long time ago, the mystery behind the malevolent force has been spoiled....

But what makes it so awful is the fact that without the children at the core of the show it loses all watchability. Eight terrible episodes in and I can barely work up the energy to bother losing another 45 minutes of my life to this dreck. I really haven't seen a group of writers as tone-deaf to what made their show popular in a long time. They certainly ran out of good ideas (they only had a few in the first season). Emperor's New Clothes syndrome can probably carry them for another season, but if they keep this up even the Urban Outfitters set will lose interest.
    Yeah, S.T. 2 wasn't good, but I watched every stinking episode. The school dance bit was sickeningly awful. What should I try to watch next? Anybody got a recommendation? The more violent, the better.