Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

They really believe that person is 191 years old?

Comments

• Jurf_WurburJurf_Wurbur Posts: 5,489
    We've been watching season 2 of that Australian show Glitch on Netflix, where the people come back to life. It's falling apart kinda. Not sure I'd recommend it anymore.

Anybody seen that German show Netflix is promoting, Dark? I hear that's good.
  • LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 8,002
    Never heard of that show. I'm still waiting for Deutschland 86, the follow up to Deutschland 83, which I enjoyed quite a lot.

About dead people coming back to life: have you heard about a french series called "Les Revenants"? I haven't seen it yet, but I've heard very good things about it, and it has won a bunch of prizes.
    I've seen it, yeah. It's good.
  • captqitncaptqitn Posts: 3,629
    Slightly happier scramble for S___ today. Putting UP all the Christiane Amanpour promo videos. I haven't seen her lately, but I used to enjoy her. I think it's a good pick.
    That sounds all right.
    edited December 2017
    Should we start posting our best of 2017 lists?
  • moetownmoetown Posts: 3,276
    Do any of you still have a landline? I haven't had one for quite a while. I used to really enjoy recording the leave a message bit on my answering machine.
    I still do. But wifey records the message: she has a sexy voice.
    Moe, is the outgoing message on your mobile voice mail not the same for you?
    We have a landline, but we only use it to call Romania. It's not even really a landline, it's a Vonage VoIP phone.

We also use it to call our phones to see where we left them. And my kid uses it very occasionally to call one of us who isn't home.
    Looks like John Travolta is next. Lionsgate pulled his John Gotti biopic 10 days before release. There was a sexual battery charge that quietly emerged about two weeks ago and that has to be why.
    That one definitely seems right.
    He's long been rumored to be the kind of deeply closeted dude who waits to get a guy alone in the shower/massage room/sauna and makes a creepy, unsolicited move.
    I have my questions about Biden. Can't tell if it's creepy, or if he's soooo grampa that he doesn't realize it looks weird when his hugs linger too long.
    Leonard Lopate.

I don't think he's syndicated. But he's who I listen to everyday on WNYC from 12-2. Have been for the last 20 years.

Dang.
  • matthewmatthew Posts: 421
    I really wish that the multitudinous sexual misconduct/assault/possibly rape charges against Trump would have been enough to pull down Trump. This Russiagate bullshit is only going to end up hurting the Democrats and making Trump stronger.

And there is every indication that it is just a partisan, politically-motivated smear. Obviously the Russians would be happier to see Clinton lose the election and they did what they could to see that happen. I don't feel badly for Clinton. I am still happy she lost (keep in mind: I am also very unhappy that Trump won). Clinton had a part in seeing foreign leaders she did care for murdered, which is significantly more serious than using propaganda to encourage a particular vote. We have video of the Secretary of State laughing about one of them dying after he was sodomized with a bayonet and lynched. Her vote helped upend Iraq and plunged them into a sectarian war as the CIA tried to cook elections the election for the US' benefit. This lead to 100,000s of Iraqi deaths. Sorry if I am not as moved by the fact that the Russians bought some Facebook ads.

I'm sure that Trump has unsavoury connections to Russian operatives and was interested in learning what they could from legal and semi-legal and perhaps illegal channels, but there seems to be no indication that they actively 'stole' or 'rigged' the election. If they can prove that Trump colluded with the Russians and that they helped or directly and knowingly benefited from the hacking of the DNC or any of that, then I will be the first to celebrate. But if it is going to continue to be all smoke and no real fire... it's not going to end well.

Also, getting Flynn on lying or accusing Trump of obstruction once the investigation began is not the same thing as catching them colluding with the theft of the election. That's like impeaching Clinton for lying about Lewinsky. It might work, but it is a Pyrrhic victory, as it will be seen as illegitimate by his followers and nothing but a partisan hit.

I want Trump to be taken down every bit as much as everyone else. But I don't want it to be done in a manner which makes him a martyr, because his base followers are fanatics bordering on religious zealots (helps that many are religious zealots ...following an amoral narcissist who couldn't give a toss about Christianity).
    For some reason, I feel like my voicemail message has to be serious. Maybe because employers and such have that number. Also, there's just something about an answering machine that inspires me to get creative.
    Trump's going to to have caused a lot of irreparable, or at least difficult to repair, damage to this country and the world before he's gone.
    Absolutely. All the more reason to discredit him properly to avoid a his supporters being left with the belief that he was treated unfairly and taken out of office for illegitimate reasons. I'm only worried that his being removed via weak technicality is going to be viewed as a political hit and further radicalize his followers.

Right now it seems that he is trying to provoke a war in the Middle East to take the heat off of him. North Korea went balls up (they now have a deterrent that pretty much makes military options an impossibility), so now he's provoking an explosion of violence in Israel (which is already looking for a war in Lebanon).

I'm not sure there's anything you could pin on Trump that his ardent followers would say "oooh, yeah, he definitely crossed the line there. He should resign".

A teen groper is about to win his seat in Congress. That 30-35% of the populace can feel their way around ANY obstruction as long as "their" team is winning.

There's some kind of disconnect in how we see this investigation, I guess, as I don't see the possibility of election tampering as the main focus and I don't see the possibility of the POTUS trying to squash the criminal investigation of his lackeys as a minor matter.
    That said, Eric has it spot on that his supporters simply do not give a fuck as long as their side is winning.
    Eric has it spot on that his supporters simply do not give a fuck as long as their side is winning.
    I should have made myself clear that I was only referring to the less insane amongst them being somewhat salvageable or open to de-radicalizaton. The bulk of the most fanatical followers (we're talking millions of Americans) who tumbled into the abyss will only go deeper. There is no coming back for them now, especially given how widespread conspiracy thinking is now. Even if they found 100% incontrovertible proof that Trump ordered the FSB to hack the DNC, all Trump would have to do was utter the words, "Deep State" and "Rigged" and his legions would assume he was innocent and had been framed by George Soros and Jeff Bezos, presumably because Trump was to breaking wide open Pizzagate.

Trump's most hardcore followers are a cult like none other that I have seen. Right-wingers mocked liberals for the cult of personality that formed around Obama - and this was not entirely underserved - but I have to say, liberals quickly shifted away from Obama's policies when it became apparent that he was not radically different from the leaders who had preceded him, instead worshipping Obama as a public figure/celebrity with great charisma. They liked him regardless of what he was doing, but they didn't mindlessly approve of every little thing he did. They operated using willful ignorance rather than constant affirmation and sheep-like approval and validation. There is literally nothing that Trump can do which cannot be excused by the 'Proud Deplorable' set.

But again, I was referring more to the upper tier of milder supporters who seem to be gradually flaking off over time. I don't want to see them radicalized to be join the lower legions.
    There's some kind of disconnect in how we see this investigation, I guess, as I don't see the possibility of election tampering as the main focus and I don't see the possibility of the POTUS trying to squash the criminal investigation of his lackeys as a minor matter.
    It's not, but I am saying that this is how it will be perceived if they fail to find anything that supports the original premise of the Special Counsel investigation, which was that the Russians interfered with the election and that Trump had colluded with them.
    All I know is, I wouldn't be surprised if an Islamist group strikes the US or some of its holdings in response to this completely unnecessary Jerusalem provocation. It's a perfect opportunity for them to capitalize on just as they are losing steam. Plus a lot of the big powers (Israel, Saudis) are looking for an excuse to knock Iran down a peg (probably in Lebanon?). Trump, of course, would love to be a War President. It would certainly help make his problems go away.
    Yay, friday! Or not. Whatever. Time is a circle and we live in the dumbest timeline.
    Yay, friday! Or not. Whatever. Time is a circle and we live in the dumbest timeline.
    I watched the first Black Mirror last night. (I've only seen one other ep). They took it further than I expected. Which I appreciated. I think that'll be my next go-to show.
    Also watched Robert Reich's new Netflix jam "Saving Capitalism". Very watchable. Most helpful in connecting 80s and 90s era regulation shifts to today's woes. I was alive during that stuff, but was not at all paying attention.