Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Merry Xmas Crappiteers!

Jurf_WurburJurf_Wurbur Posts: 5,497
Love to you all today, fine people.

Comments

• LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 8,009
    edited December 2017
    WTF! Jeff, you traitor! We have declared war on christmas! Have you forgotten?
  • moetownmoetown Posts: 3,280
    We may have lost this battle, but the war will go on.
    I like that Girl Ray album. Have ya’ll checked that out?
  • Jurf_WurburJurf_Wurbur Posts: 5,497
    We have declared war on christmas!
    I wage my war on Christmas by crassly focusing on gifts and consumption of food and alcohol.
    Happy winter solstice!
    tumblr_nvvdk2HhqU1sndzdgo1_1280.jpg
    807 x 764 - 327K
    Happy birthday, Jesus!!!
  • TrippTripp Posts: 676
    Is it over yet?
    edited December 2017
    Nope.

Watch this, it will put you in the xmas spirit.

We have to go to Sheri's cousins today. They're trumpsters. weeeee. Having a xanax and a beer now.
    But tonight we head to Stivers for what has become a new tradition for the Bob extended family. Giant lasagna party. Looking forward to that.
    Why do you have to go to Sheri's cousins?
    A Xanax and a beer sounds yummy. I'm about to go to my sister's house and pretend like I want to be there.
    Is everybody ok? Today is my mom's birthday, so off to do more 'celebrating.'
    I'm good. Xmas was nice. Lots of presents opening, good food, some friends over.

Tonight, we're going to see the light display at the Morton Arboretum, which sounded more awesome when we bought our tickets than tonight when it looks to be around -4F.
  • captqitncaptqitn Posts: 3,629
    Nice chill break for us.

The Shape of Water is gorgeous and frightening. Worth seeing on the big screen if you're the type.

I think my expectations were a little too built up about The Big Sick. It was sweet with a few funny spots, but it didn't feel like an Oscar contender. Just a pleasant Apatow joint that you'd watch on Netflix on a slow night.

(but I do love seeing Holly Hunter)
    edited December 2017
    The Big Sick. It was sweet with a few funny spots, but it didn't feel like an Oscar contender. Just a pleasant Apatow joint that you'd watch on Netflix on a slow night.
    Exactly. I can see where it gets some bonus points for showing a Pakistani man realistically, dealing with that cultural divide, etc. But it's still mostly just "pleasant."
    I'm not sure it's for everyone, but we enjoyed The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel on Amazon. It's a bit of a weird mix, but it worked for us. The setting is a kind of Doris Day, Technicolor musical version of late 60's NYC (specifically, affluent upper west side Jewish NYC). Within that, there's a young wife/mother who stumbles into comedy, in a very Lenny Bruce, proto-modern and fairly blue standup kind of way. And it's all written and paced in that motormouth style from Gilmore Girls. Some people will have trouble with the first of those three ingredients, some with the others. But for us, it worked and was a cheeky little delight.
    Might have to try that out with S______, she's a big G. Girls fan. I can watch the original series, but the recent reboot season felt really hollow.
    edited December 2017
    Agreed on Gilmore Girls. The reboot had that stiff, giving-the-mugs-what-they-want feel of 80s tv reunion movies, Facts of Life Goes to Europe, etc.

Mrs. Maisel is much sharper than that and the lead is fantastic.
    Q: How many scenesters does it take to screw in a light bulb?
    A: *scoff* You don't know?
    Editor's notes on Milo Yiannopoulos's book (REAL, NOT A JOKE)
    "The Why Establishment Gays Hate Me chapter 'needs a better central thesis than the notion that gay people should go back in the closest'"
    "The feminist chapter needed a 'stronger argument against feminism than saying that they are ugly and sexless and have cats'"
    "There needs to be a preamble On Freedom of Speech and Political Correctness that would be a 'short and serious statement here that sets out why you do what you do, without trolling, without bombast, without name-calling, and without ego."
    "Avoid gratuitous insults"
    "Unclear, unfunny, delete"
    "This entire paragraph is just repeating Fake News"
    "MAJOR POINT: You will have to address the charge of racism clearly and with greater depth"
    "This section feels phenomenally petty"
    "This whole section has to go. Too much ego"
    "This entire argument is ridiculous"
    "This doesn't make sense or pass intellectual muster"
    My office mate just announced that Groupon has a deal on bitcoin today.

:I
    Would you look at that... a Nic Cage movie I will probably see.

A friend of mine wrote a great piece about Maggie Roche for their yearly memoriam.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/12/28/magazine/the-lives-they-lived-maggie-roche.html
    Your friend did a great job.
    :-bd
    I've basically spent the whole day snoozing and reading In a Lonely Place .
    Oh nice.

I have it on good authority that S____ got me "The Thin Man" for my Jolabokaflod selection that I'll be opening tonight.