Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Batman voice without the Batman

Comments

• Jurf_WurburJurf_Wurbur Posts: 5,472
    edited January 2018
    Honestly, to me, it was a sad replay of Big Star: best band in Memphis signs with a large-ish label who doesn't usually work in their wheelhouse. Then, when the label has internal turmoil/money issues, they cut bait on the outlier to focus on what they know. They never promote the band for shit and the records disappear damn near unnoticed.
  • TrippTripp Posts: 676
    What subpop loved was a band like Sunny Day Real Estate or Sebadoh because they had already done all the hard work of building their own fanbase which is pretty much what we did too. Makes sense business wise but sometimes we felt like a lot of people at subpop were just there to take advantage of travel opportunities and great hotels. I was like 'if you guys are worried about money so much then maybe don't stay at the most expensive hotels everywhere you fucking go.'
    I'm not sure if Sub Pop had a good plan for how to take you guys from playing well-received shows in places like Boston or NYC to selling records to the people living outside the city centers and getting your posters onto dorm room walls.
    Tripp, if you had it all to do over again, hindsight 20/20 and all of that... who would you have signed with instead? Island? Touch & Go?
    Atlantic. Their indie label was called TAG. They only had like 2 or 3 other bands on their roster. I think Jawbox was one of them. I thought we'd be better off there because we'd get more attention as opposed to subpop who had 80 bands or something. But what we did (intentionally) was start a bidding war and subpop ponied up the most cash. But yeah, I often think maybe our biggest mistake was not signing with island when they offered which was before One Sock Missing.
    Probably mentioned this before but when Island was after us we had a final meeting with Denny Cordell (and Jesse) who told us they only had it in the budget to sign one more indie band that year and it was between us and 'a band from Ireland called the Cranberries'. We actually replied "Tell the Cranberries we said you're welcome."
    the bidding war came down to TAG, subpop, and Relativity.
    Probably mentioned this before but when Island was after us we had a final meeting with Denny Cordell (and Jesse) who told us they only had it in the budget to sign one more indie band that year and it was between us and 'a band from Ireland called the Cranberries'. We actually replied "Tell the Cranberries we said you're welcome."
    ILTS.
    If you're playing Trump Impeachment Bingo at home, they just called "Steve Bannon" and I'm pretty sure that's a corner square.
  • captqitncaptqitn Posts: 3,624
    And everything just came full circle. Nicely done, everybody.
  • KimKim Posts: 624
    Thanks Tripp for the real story. Next time I will just ask you personally so I don’t clog this site up with unhappy thoughts
    And I was right most of it went to recording.
    Adios
    Not clutter, I hadn't heard most of that.

We spent all of our money on a van and studio gear. The van has long since left this earth, but the gear lives on. It's the same core of stuff we just recorded 18/19 on.
    Also, when AML came out I urged subpop to buy adspace with Fantagraphics. Something they often did anyway. They said they didn't see the point in doing it at that time. I was like 'well, Jim Woodring did the cover, so.......'. As it turned out Jim gave us a shout out in his comic for free.
    We all still have our roll-cases we bought. And I think Stan bought a new drum kit which he still has. I didn't buy anything. Maybe a new distortion pedal. I've been playing the same bass since I was 17.
    Is it cold as fucking hell where you guys are? about 12 degrees here but getting back up to 60 for the weekend.
    It's bouncing around here. 70 to 25 to 70, now we got more snow coming tonight.

So, yeah, getting myself ready to be sick.
  • LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 7,989
    edited January 2018
    You guys are a bunch of whinny wimps! We had several days of temperatures hovering around -20°C, plus something like 30 cm of snow last friday. And I shovelled the whole damn driveway again and I enjoyed it! Proper character building weather, I say!

• moetownmoetown Posts: 3,276
    The weather guys keep getting my hopes up for a snow day, but then I wake up and have to go to work.
  • moetownmoetown Posts: 3,276
    edited January 2018
    If you had signed with Island, you’d have been on the same label as Pulp.
    If you had signed with Island you might be dead right now.
    That's what we figured.
    edited January 2018
    I often wonder how different OSM would've been had it been on Island. Probably still would have had most of the same songs. They probably would've pushed a producer on us. They had one in mind ( the guy that did debt and departure, he also worked with Aerosmith and was a friend of Denny's) EVEN THOUGH they told us they wouldn't make us change anything we're doing. I mean, they didn't push a producer on us but I bet if we'd signed they would've been like "welllll, actually..."

It would've had different album art probably.
    edited January 2018
    But then we probably would've been a one-hit wonder (hopefully) and broken up after the next record. And our music career is over 4 years in.
    Dan you live in Canada. You knew what you signed up for.
    edited January 2018
    Actually, I didn't. I was fifteen when my parents moved to Montreal from sunny southern Portugal. I had no idea what I was getting myself into.

We arrived in mid december, and it was -17°C. I was like "fuck this, I wanna go back". But did they listen to me? Nooooo!
    By the way, I've been collecting all the Grifters 7", just for fun. I had a comp of them all that Jesse gave me, but it's a cd-r. I've decided to replace it with the real thing.
    Black Lightning's debut episode was pretty good. Sorta halfway between Luke Cage and Arrow, which worked surprisingly well.
    Need to get caught up on my nerd shit. We watched Battle of the Sexes last night. I can't tell if it was movie of the year or if I'm just a sucker for a well-made feelgood movie but yeah, we loved it.
    Looking forward to getting to that one.

Watched the Letterman/Obama thing last night. It was pleasant refreshingly coherent conversation amongst two retired dudes.