Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You must commit sepukku on CSPAN.

LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 8,009
Howdy partners!

Comments

• LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 8,009
    I was hesitating between "Needless melodrama" and "must commit sepukku on CSPAN". If you prefer "needless melodrama", I can make the necessary changes.
  • moetownmoetown Posts: 3,277
    Of course they do!
    Humans don't need to be stoned to walk in circles.
  • captqitncaptqitn Posts: 3,629
    ..but it doesn't hurt.
  • Jurf_WurburJurf_Wurbur Posts: 5,493
    This Bob Pollard side project is... a little different than usual.

Cash Rivers and the Sinners - Goddamn Lookit My Phone Got Wet

Did everyone achieve their weekend goals?

I was mostly sick. Watched more Black Mirror and the football games.

S___ went to NYC yesterday. She's doing some panel discussions at a digital media conference up there.

It's weird to spend an entire day not uttering a single word out loud.
    We made Simon's Pinewood Derby car and finished middle of the pack.

I have accepted now that I'm not my dad, and my dad may have helped me make the fastest car and win first, but I am not that guy. Next year, we're going to make something goofy and elaborate and just try and have more fun making the car together.

Sunday, we went to the Arboretum. We took a friend's kid who is obsessed with trains and checked out the indoor model train setup they have in winter. That was nice.

Then I read. And read. And read. I read more yesterday than I read last month total. It was good.
    It's weird to spend an entire day not uttering a single word out loud.
    That's a normal weekend at my house.
    I cleaned my fridge, played video games with the child and prepared classes.
    What did you read, Jeff?
    Watched more Black Mirror and the football games.
    Go local sports franchise!
    I finished All Our Wrong Todays by Elan Mastai, which was terrific. Kind of a loopy Vonnegut-like story about a guy who is from 2016, but not *our* 2016... he's from the really awesome 2016 we were promised in science fiction. And then, while using a time machine to go back and watch the invention of the amazing device that provides his world with limitless, nearly free energy, he instead fucks that moment up, creating the craptacular world we live in instead.

Then I read the majority of All the Birds in the Sky by Charlie Jane Anders, which is an odd little book from last year's Tournament of Books list about a war between magic and science... only instead of that being the kind of piffle you'd get on SyFy, this is more a literary novel that uses that as a framework for looking at how we see the future. Also good.
    edited January 2018
    I'm presently reading Diamonds, Gold, and War: The British, the Boers, and the Making of South Africa, by Martin Meredith. So far, so good, but I'm only at the beginning, so I haven't decided what I think of it yet.
    All Our Wrong Todays sounds interesting, I might check that out.
    That pricked my ear as well.
    edited January 2018
    All those books sound groovy. I've been reading the first novel in a trilogy about the life of Josephus. It's really REALLy good.
    Well, I ain't teaching today. School's closed 'cause of an ice storm. It's slippery out there.
    That kid's devil-may-care attitude really speaks to my individualistic and fun loving spirit.
    I'm the sassy girl in the white jacket.
    I was pretty sure you were the redhead in the purple.
    I changed my mind. I'm the redhead in the purple now.
    edited January 2018
    I'm one of the guys in the snow. Probably the one with the fur hat. Is that Chevy Chase?
    The one and only.
    Looking at this with fresh eyes today, big hat tip to the photoshop artist that put that together. Flawless.
    edited January 2018
    I know, it is kind of annoying to keep doing this, but I read a lot of her books, so I will mention it, because her passing made me sad.

Ursula K. Le Guin, Acclaimed for Her Fantasy Fiction, Is Dead at 88
    I don't think I ever read her, but S____ was a big fan, so full respect going out.