Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You must commit sepukku on CSPAN.

124»

Comments

• TrippTripp Posts: 676
    I read the new Cloverfield thing is a piece of crap.
  • captqitncaptqitn Posts: 3,624
    I've been listening to the indie station on Sirius XM lately and I seem to like more stuff than I have in a few years
    XMU? We've been listening to that a lot lately too. Between that and our local college station, I'm weirdly up to date on what's happening in music. The kids are alright.
    oh... almost forgot. Polish death camps.
  • Jurf_WurburJurf_Wurbur Posts: 5,475
    Yep, XMU. I had tried it some when I first got Sirius a few years back, but either the stuff trending at that moment didn't sit with me or I was in craggy old man vibe and wouldn't try. Not sure which. But I'm enjoying a fair bit of it now.
    I finally warmed up to Carseat Headrest.
    Although I still have to say that Killer Whales are nothing like Drunk Drivers.
    I think this is an agree-to-disagree situation.
    On which part? I'm not head over heels in love with the band. You know I hate to jump on bandwagons.
    Oh no, on the question of whether killer whales are like drunk drivers.

I like the band plenty.
  • moetownmoetown Posts: 3,276
    On Netflix I've enjoyed Fauda and Suburra. Now I'm on the last episode of Nobel, so I'm not sure what I'll try next. Maybe one without subtitles.
    Drugs are better with friends are better with drugs...
    A Futile and Stupid Gesture is pretty good. On Netflix.
    Oh good. I was hoping that would be decent.
    Watched La La Land last night. Didn't think it was as bad as some of the backlash at the time. Some of the musical sequences were technically impressive and fully enjoyable.

Not saying it was best picture of the year. And maybe that's why people go so mad at it.
    I have seen it claimed that the supposed connection between drunk drivers and killer whales is that killer whales are only dangerous to humans when kept in captivity. And so, it's some kind of metaphor about people feeling trapped in their lives and then drinking, then becoming drunk drivers and being dangerous. Or some shit.
    We're making an effort to see the Oscar-nominated films this year.

So far, we've seen Get Out, Lady Bird, The Post, The Shape of Water, and Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri. Of the Best Picture noms, we still need to see Call Me by Your Name, Darkest Hour, Dunkirk, and Phantom Thread. And then maybe some of the films that got other noms like Roman J. Israel, Loving Vincent, Mudbound, The Disaster Artist, The Florida Project, and All the Money in the World.
    What was your take on The Post?
    It's very professionally made and a pretty good story. It didn't offer anything particularly new, but it's a bunch of pros at work and was enjoyable. Classic Oscar-bait, but of a strain that doesn't usually actually get the gold anymore.
    It's the one a lot of our moms will think should win. (I'm assuming Dunkirk would get most of the dad votes. Or Darkest Hour.)
    I'm pretty sure Lady Bird has the mom-vote locked up this year.
    Mmmmm. Good point. I hope Laurie Metcalf wins for that one.
    The only one I've seen is Get Out.
    That was the best of that list I've seen. Watched it again over the weekend. It's really terrific.
    I'm torn between Get Out and Shape of Water. They are both pretty special.
    I really want to see Faces, Places by Agnes Varda, too. That looks terrific.
    Get Out is great. Don't know if it's best of the year great but I'm happy for it. Shape of Water is winning a lot of awards already. Haven't seen it. Lady Bird should not even be nominated. I really dug Dunkirk but I don't see that winning. I have a feeling Darkest Hour may win big.

But on the other hand who gives a shit?