Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

But on the other hand who gives a shit?

Comments

• LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 8,009
    edited February 2018
    Imagine if rickshaw races were an olympic sport?!
  • Jurf_WurburJurf_Wurbur Posts: 5,490
    Have you read The Left Hand of Darkness, by Ursula K. Le Guin?
    Nope. Is it a semi-neutered person narrating a podcast into a voice recorder while they ritually burn erotica onto the skin of their chest? Because I tried reading that and did not enjoy it so much.
    edited February 2018
    Is it a semi-neutered person narrating a podcast into a voice recorder while they ritually burn erotica onto the skin of their chest?
    Alas, no. It's about an ambassador that visits a world were people have no fixed sex.
  • TrippTripp Posts: 676
    Have yall been watching Discovery? I like it. Gonna watch the finale with Chad in a bit. The Mirror-Universe thing was pretty good. I have problems with the Mirror-Universe as a concept. Like, everything is completely different there but people still end up on the same ships together and have similar relationships. It's a fun trope I guess.
    I think I need the show to feel a little more like Trek. Just tweaking the costumes would go along way to doing that. I don't really care that the tech is updated.
    My only other big complaint is that so much is made of the war with the Klingons but these Klingons don't feel like Klingons. They just seem some all new race. With insane HR Giger costumes. I'd like to see a war with the Klingons but you know... with Klingons I know. Is that racist?
    I was also disappointed we didn't get to see the Defiant. That was a nice touching of base with Prime timeline history. But I guess there's no way they could show the inside of a ship that looks just like the TOS Enterprise.
    But I like that it has strong writing. looks great. I love that Tilly is not a sexed-out babe. Stamets is an all-time great Trek character I think. There's a lot to like and a lot to improve on.
    I think I need the show to feel a little more like Trek.
    You may really like that finale then. For a couple of reasons.

I think it's really uneven, but it's still one of the shows I most enjoy and that I get the most excited about.
    We haven't watched it all, just the first two episodes. I liked what I've seen, but that show wasn't pleasing the 5 to 10 years old demographic around these parts, so we've been watching Dr. Who instead. We're at the middle of the seventh season. I don't particularly care for Matt Smith.
  • captqitncaptqitn Posts: 3,629
    It was hard to leave David Tennant. But they all seem to grow on me eventually. I even liked Peter Capaldi by the end.
    I liked Matt Smith. I also thought the writing had a higher batting average during that time.
    Aaron just sent me a picture of his AP history exam. At the top, his teacher drew a picture of Ralf Hutter playing a keyboard and singing "Aaron is from a computer world"

I love this dude.
  • matthewmatthew Posts: 421
    ...maybe an oldie
    ewall.jpg
    960 x 843 - 47K
    Aaron's teacher sounds awesome.
    So my boss just showed us pictures of a King Cake she made and adorned with a plastic 20 week fetus that she found at this year's DC Pro Life rally.

So that was fucking weird.

Think I should be able to head on home now.
    edited February 2018
    I liked Matt Smith. I also thought the writing had a higher batting average during that time.
    Yeah, the bad episodes are not as dismally bad. But on the other hand, I think the good episodes aren't as good.
    Happy Valentine's Day to all of you. I love you. You, best of all. Yes. YOU.
    May all of your loins be gratified.
    Happy Valentine's Day to all of you. I love you. You, best of all. Yes. YOU.
    Who me?
    I know it's damning with faint praise, but Pope Francis remains arguably our least shitty world religious figure. He's terrible on a lot of topics and a figurehead for mythology in any case. But at this particular moment in history, having a world leader who recognizes the plight of the poor and is vocal about it is a pretty big deal.
    Not to mention his extensive writings about the environment.
    He also put out a prog record in 2015.

(Don't get overly excited. That's "prog" by 21st century Italian standards. It isn't ELP or anything.)
    The jammy guitar solos go on a little too long for my taste.
    edited February 2018
    A pope making a "rock" record is like a dog walking on its hind legs. Even though it's inevitably not done very well, you have to applaud a little that it's done at all.
    edited February 2018
    Paraphrasing Christopher Hitchens, who said it when talking about Mother Teresa:

The pope is not a friend of the poor. He's a friend of poverty. He probably believes, like most good catholics (and many devout christians), that suffering is a gift from god. As far as I know, he has spent his life opposing one of the most important antidotes to poverty, which is the empowerment of women and the emancipation of them from a livestock version of compulsory reproduction. So fuck him.
    I'm going to lean back on the old chestnut: Perfect is the enemy of the good.
    edited February 2018
    Yeah, I know. Sure, I can nod along to some of the things he says, but I don't have to applaud him, or even like the guy.
    More human sacrifices to the NRA.

Thoughts and prayers, etc. (pretends to jack off)

I'm not sure if it's because that's where I grew up, or because the boys are high school aged right now, but this one has really left me shook.

Too much fucking darkness.
    I hear you. Oh man, I hear you.

I was just saying almost the same thing about the in Western Kentucky a few weeks back. "Only" two kids died there, but one of them was the second baseman on my niece's baseball team, so it hit us pretty hard all the same.
    edited February 2018
    I have occasionally, usually for the lulz, dipped into the gun nuts swamps of the internet. I've also visited sites maintained by their enablers among supposedly respectable conservatives. And one thing I've noticed: they get very excited when there's a mass shooting, even at a school. Not quite as excited as when a "good guy with a gun" kills a black person, but almost.