Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Get yourself a 3/4 guitar.

Comments

• moetownmoetown Posts: 3,276
    Anyone listen to the new Yo La Tengo yet? I heard a new song by Girl Ray, so that sorta brightened my spirits.
  • Jurf_WurburJurf_Wurbur Posts: 5,475
    I need to spin that one this weekend. I like that they cribbed the title from Sly & The Family Stone. That was a great downbeat record for a dispiriting time.
    Do you think the Stormy Daniels interview will actually air on 60 Minutes next weekend?
  • LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 7,989
    edited March 2018
    Lets hope so! And we need to have some dirty movies of the prez in action with Miss Daniels downloaded to the internets too! I won't watch them, of course, but I will take malicious glee in Trump's humiliation!
    edited March 2018
    It's kinda tricky playing Dear Prudence. You have to barre the first three strings on the 2nd fret with your index, hold down the 2nd string third fret with your ring finger, and hold down the 5th string on the 3nd fret with your middle finger without damping any strings. Then you have to shift to a D with your index moving to the 5th string 2nd fret, then move your index down to the first fret. I'm having a bit of trouble making all the strings sound clear while keeping up the picking rhythm. But I do kinda sorta have the intro down!
    Congrats! Yeah, the tricky thing about fingerstyle playing is that you have to play all the notes cleanly, and that's a bitch. But it's excellent practice!

I've been working on an arrangement of Sleepwalk. I've got it almost all down.
    We're at the beginning of Dr. Who's 9th season, you know, the episodes with Missy, and because of that, my inner jukebox is permanently playing that fucking Mickey song.
    "I'm bananas!"
    All gallifreyans are scotish, it seems.
  • captqitncaptqitn Posts: 3,624
    Ain't that some shit? Including some deep analytics about your behavior patterns and openness to certain types of pitches.
    edited March 2018
    I have a bunch of nervous energy/restlessness since getting into better shape. This weekend, just for an outlet, I did food delivery for DoorDash, which is an Uber-like deal that does food delivery. I made $130 in ten hours, which wasn't earth-shattering, but I spent half to two thirds of my "work" time reading and only had to interact with people for a combined 15 minutes. It wasn't bad. Nothing I'd recommend as a real job, but for me to combine my reading time with $10-ish bucks an hour (after expenses, like gas) was sort of useful. There were no shifts or anything, I just logged in to the app when I felt like accepting deliveries.

I did get a bunch of reading done.

I finished Idaho which was probably the best book I've read in the last year. Top three at least. I'm about 20% of the way into Sing, Unburied, Sing and a good chunk into the audiobook for Lincoln in the Bardo.
    I'm now tempted to try Lyft, because it seems like even more money. But I'm still sort of morally opposed to the "ride sharing" horseshit, as it fucks with a lot of immigrant cab driver's incomes. I really doubt I'd do Uber, no matter how bored I get. Their corporate culture is shit.
    Also, I don't know if I'd still find it a fun diversion if it became challenging enough through effort required or human interaction needed to feel like work, instead of me just running errands between reading books.
    I would think that Lyft would be an awful lot of human interaction.
    Definitely. I'm still trying to decide if I'd rather make more money but have to deal with people or make less and barely interact with people at all.

We're actually doing okay on bills again, so it's not that I *need* money. But I am building up a cushion so that lean times won't work us over quite so roughly next time. So more into that kitty is probably better.
    edited March 2018
    Angus McEachran was the longtime Editor-in-Chief of the daily Memphis newspaper, The Commercial Appeal. His "intolerance for mistakes was as legendary as his ability to turn reporters into quivering puddles of contrite goo during a process of journalistic atonement called 'error court.'"

Following his March 5th death, the CA honored its famously meticulous editor by spelling his goddamned name wrong in the headline of his obituary.

Crappity, your failure to entertain me has been noted.
    It's a boring ass day here.
    Bout to get buck wild up in here. Nor'easter #73 is starting to blow. I volunteered to be on the emergency skeleton crew at work tomorrow. (yes, there is such a thing as emergency accounting).

I'll get double pay and they are putting me up at a swank hotel.
    Emergency Accounting sounds like the worst TLC show ever, tbh.

Here's to getting paid though.
    Crappity, your failure to entertain me has been noted.
    Jeff, you are on crappity to entertain me, not the other way 'round. >:P
    edited March 2018
    I'd have to see the numbers. How many hours have those cars been on the road? Are they more or less likely to have accidents? Are they improving?

It's easy to clutch pearls over a story like that, but cars with drivers kill more than 100 people a day in the US alone, on average. If it turns out the driverless cars are less safe, okay, that's a problem. But if they sometimes hurt/kill people, but at a lower rate than cars with regular human drivers, that's a win, even if the exceptions to the rule create handwringing panicky headlines.
    Even if they are more dangerous at the moment, they may be a worthwhile avenue to pursue, as they could potentially get better than people over time.

It wouldn't be hard to imagine. People are stupid.
    And they just keep on gettin' stupider.
    edited March 2018
    Jeff, you know I was making a joke, right? I mean, robot kills human, a glimpse of the future..

I don't really worry about the safety of self-driving cars. If they work they'll be safe, tautologically. Thing is, there isn't any particular reason to think this is actually true now. It may be true one day that they are safer than humans, but for the time being the things don't even work properly yet.

You've probably been driving since you were a teen, so you may not realise it but, take it from a guy who got his drivers licence in his thirties, driving is hard!

Sure, I think cars will be able to drive themselves soon, along fixed routes, on certain highway segments, with a human driver always on stand by. But driving autonomously, without any human intervention, on crumbling infrastructure constantly being repaired, through messy city streets, dealing with street lights, street signs and pedestrian crossings that are often poorly visible, or absent, plus the occasional spell of bad weather, and plenty of erratic human drivers, pedestrians and cyclists? I think that's still many decades away.
    IT IS POSSIBLE I HAVE HAD TOO MUCH CAFFEINE THIS MORNING.
    edited March 2018

CAFFEINE
    CAFFEINE
    CAFFEINE