Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

It's an easy trap to fall into.

124»

Comments

• captqitncaptqitn Posts: 3,624
    Sorry to hear.
  • LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 7,989
    It's a bummer, but really not as sad as losing a cat in its prime.
    “The modern conservative is not even especially modern. He is engaged, on the contrary, in one of man’s oldest, best financed, most applauded, and, on the whole, least successful exercises in moral philosophy. That is the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness. It is an exercise which always involves a certain number of internal contradictions and even a few absurdities. The conspicuously wealthy turn up urging the character-building value of privation for the poor. The man who has struck it rich in minerals, oil, or other bounties of nature is found explaining the debilitating effect of unearned income from the state. The corporate executive who is a superlative success as an organization man weighs in on the evils of bureaucracy. Federal aid to education is feared by those who live in suburbs that could easily forgo this danger, and by people whose children are in public schools. Socialized medicine is condemned by men emerging from Walter Reed Hospital. Social Security is viewed with alarm by those who have the comfortable cushion of an inherited income. Those who are immediately threatened by public efforts to meet their needs — whether widows, small farmers, hospitalized veterans, or the unemployed — are almost always oblivious to the danger.”

John Kenneth Galbraith
  • moetownmoetown Posts: 3,276
    So awful about Kitty Zeus. I'm so sorry, Eric.
    Sorry to hear about Mignon, too.
    I've decided to shelve learning that Lindsey Buckingham song until I get a lot better. Way way way above my skill level. I could make much better use of my limited practice time just focusing on basic picking patterns.
    edited April 2018
    This one made me laugh... Here's Anne-Marie Slaughter, the Director of Policy Planning in the Obama administration, commenting on the Syrian attacks:

"I believe that the US, UK, & France did the right thing by striking Syria over chemical weapons. It will not stop the war nor save the Syrian people from many other horrors. It is illegal under international law. But it at least draws a line somewhere & says enough."

Yeah, those do look like good vids, but they cost money. I have 4 patterns I'm trying to get good at right now. Maybe after I figure out how to do those at various speeds, I'll spend more money on another video.
    After spending some time looking at various US news websites, I am forced to conclude that the only thing your mass media likes more than a bipartisan commission on debt reduction is... Bombing foreigners.
    I know that chemical warfare is heinous and all that, but why is it a ‘red line’ while killing, maiming, and displacing 100s of 1,000s of civilians with conventional weapons is perfectly ok? I don’t get this form of logic.
    And from the bits of news I’ve read, the bombing just encouraged Assad to be more aggressive.
  • captqitncaptqitn Posts: 3,624
    Speaking of... how the fuck Fleetwood Mac going to fire Lindsey Buckingham? This is up there with the firing of David Lee Roth.

(except of course where in their career arc they are)
    Yeah, seems kinda silly for that band to fire anybody at this point. Why not just say he won't be on this tour? Fleetwood Mac is a silly band.
    Yeah, I mean, why say he was fired when they could announce that he was redeployed after a carer reassessment? Or made redundant? Adjusted, maybe? And how did that work? Did Mick ask his head of HR to give Lindsey a phone call? "Mr. Buckingham, we’re going to have to let you go".