Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fleetwood Mac is a silly band.

LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 8,015
I was just waiting for an appropriate thread title to come up. Thanks, Ev.

Comments

• Jurf_WurburJurf_Wurbur Posts: 5,507
    edited April 2018
    We saw Ready Player One this weekend. Damning with faint praise, but it was actually better than the book. More visual, a bit less flabby and fanfic-like. Kept the central Special Orphan Saves the World and Gets the Girl with Help of Plucky, Diverse Sidekicks plot, so it was still cliched. But it made my kid happy and watching Spielberg do a pop culture mashup with an unlimited budget has its moments for sure.

Oft times I was entertained as much by the notion of the screenwriting huddle as by the movie. The author worked with veteran screenwriter Zak penn and with Spielberg to write the movie.

I would imagine the original author gushing, "So in the book, the first challenge is the kid has to play Joust against an old wizard. But like... in the video game! He plays a video game inside the video game!"
    Spielberg: "Yeah. We're not doing that."
    Penn: "How about a car race through a shifting Manhattan with Godzilla and King Kong attacking?"
    Spielberg nods.

RP1 is latter day Spielberg... effortlessly competent, epic in scale, a bit hoary and worn in underlying story/theme.
    Matthew is going to hate it a lot.
  • captqitncaptqitn Posts: 3,632
    It's hard to imagine how much he's going to hate it. Will probably need to print out his review so I can tackle it on my train ride.
    edited April 2018
    Lost in Space is good middlebrow to upper-middlebrow tv. If you go at it with the sharp blades we use for prestige tv these days, you can slice it to pieces. But it's very successful at its goal of being a family adventure show. Simon is digging it a bunch.

I'm delighted to have something to watch with him that is not animated and is better than the CW DC shows, so it gets a thumbs up from me on that basis.
    I was pretty let down by Score. The recent documentary about film music. Lots of talking heads and fanboying. Almost nothing about the actual process.
    I can't decide if LIS will be too square for my boys at this point. I'll probably test run it.
    It's shot, scored, scripted, and acted with a straight faced "This is a real and serious grown-up show" vibe, but the underpinnings are all Family Adventure/Kids in Peril. Older kids might sniff that out and resent it. Hard to say.
    Parker Posey might have been born to play Dr. Smith, though.
    That's my in with S____. Big PP fan.
    On a scale of "Not a Big Deal" to "Are You Some Kind of Idiot?" where do you rank the possibility of me applying to work with my spouse?
    Do you know the proximity you'd be in? Once-a-day quickie in the supply room sounds good. Working in side-by-side cubicles does not.
    Probable literal side-by-side cubicles.
    (sucks through teeth)
  • moetownmoetown Posts: 3,284
    Yeah, not sure I could say that’s a good idea.
    Saw an amazing band last night. 7 piece jazz group. Not fully "free" but wild and aggressive. They just happened to be playing at a bar I was meeting friends at.

Can't remember the last time I just stumbled upon a new favorite band.

Weird thing is, they have NO internet presence. No FB, website, soundcloud. etc. Not sure how I'm going to see them again. They are my Cinderella.
    Happy birthday Dan!
  • LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 8,015
    Thanks, Jeff!
    May the gods smile upon you on your special day.
    Has anyone seen Faust lately? Very excited they are coming to a nice intimate place in Baltimore. Werner “Zappi” Diermaier and Jean-Herve Peron are the sole original members. Just curious about what a Faust show sounds like in 2018.
    edited April 2018
    Weird thing is, they have NO internet presence. No FB, website, soundcloud. etc.
    Maybe they named themselves something that was extremely difficult to Google.

I've heard of bands doing that.

I succeeded. I went to the venue page and someone posted a video and tagged the band members. So I reached out to the saxophonist and he confirmed that they don't do anything but post on their own personal pages. So I befriended him.
    Has anyone seen Faust lately? Very excited they are coming to a nice intimate place in Baltimore. Werner “Zappi” Diermaier and Jean-Herve Peron are the sole original members. Just curious about what a Faust show sounds like in 2018.
    I saw them a few years ago, 2009 or 2010. It was a good show, it made me happy and a bit verklempt: I thought I wouldn't ever see them play, I finally did, and it was good.
    Awesome. Thank you. Going to plunk down for it.
    This is my year for seeing legends. Elton John, John Williams, Paul Simon and Faust all in the space of a few months.
    I feel like that post was my own RIYL list.
    I succeeded. I went to the venue page and someone posted a video and tagged the band members. So I reached out to the saxophonist and he confirmed that they don't do anything but post on their own personal pages. So I befriended him.
    What's their name? If they ever put something online, tell us about it.
    This is my year for seeing legends. Elton John, John Williams, Paul Simon and Faust all in the space of a few months.
    That's awesome.

I keep hoping Macca will go on tour again soon. My kid is super into the Beatles right now and it would be a good first show.
    I hope so too. Taking the boys when they were younger to Macca in Yankee Stadium was a top ten moment.
  • moetownmoetown Posts: 3,284
    Is it weird that I never went to a Macca show?