Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

(Finger on nose)

LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 7,989
Good morning!

Comments

• Jurf_WurburJurf_Wurbur Posts: 5,475
    edited May 2018
    Jo
    @ThisIsJoFrank

Schrodinger's impostor syndrome: Everyone is smarter than me and I know nothing AND everyone is gullable fools and I've sneakily tricked them into thinking I fit in.
  • moetownmoetown Posts: 3,276
    I can't access that link at school.

Taking our students to the planetarium today. Dark room, comfy chair, airconditiong..., it sounds like the perfect recipe for naptime.
    I wonder if other countries could start imposing sanctions on the U.S. because of the wacko-in-chief's insistence on making the world a more dangerous place.
    I wonder if there's any likelihood of an American refugee crisis happening in my lifetime.
    edited May 2018
    I don't understand much about cryptocurrencies, but I'm wondering if I oughta buy a few hundred XRP (ripple) coins for the helluvit.
    If worst comes to worst, my family can hopefully just bail to Romania. We own a condo there that Mama has been renting out, but could theoretically move there if we had to.
    The problem is that Romania is not a great answer for economic instability and government corruption.
  • LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 7,989
    edited May 2018
    By nominal GDP, the US is the world's largest economy and the US is indubitably the world's largest military power. As the US goes, the rest of the world goes, so there's really no point moving elsewhere: things will likely be nearly as bad or worse there. I can tell you that Canada will likely be fucked: most of our economy relies on the US.
    edited May 2018
    The US isn't the only developed country that has far-right morons in power (or close to being in power). Trump is the american symptom of a widespread disease.
    Well, that really shut you up. Was that too much of a downer or something?
    sushi.jpg
    666 x 574 - 44K
    I buy my glasses online from cheap sites like Zenni and Goggles4u. I usually pay $13-25 a pair for single vision. It completely escapes my understanding why someone would submit to the Essilor/Luxotica racket and pay hundreds of dollars for glasses.
    edited May 2018
    I came across this He-Man character I did not recall and was extremely amused.

His name is Fisto.

Seems like that would ruin your digestive system but good.
    Who's Greta Gerwig?
    edited May 2018
    I buy my glasses online from cheap sites like Zenni and Goggles4u. I usually pay $13-25 a pair for single vision. It completely escapes my understanding why someone would submit to the Essilor/Luxotica racket and pay hundreds of dollars for glasses.
    I think it's because of marketing and because people want to try them before they buy them.

I've had the same cheap frame for the last 20 years. I'm only slightly myopic, so I only use glasses when I drive or go to the movies. It's easy not to lose them.

My glasses are boring and plain, small with a thin black metal frame, so they're basically neutral looking. I have another fancier looking pair, but I never wear them anymore.
    edited May 2018
    people want to try them before they buy them
    People say this to me all the time, and it still doesn't really make sense to me.

The guy in the cube across from me just got new glass for $400. He got to try them, I guess.

When I buy glasses, I go to a store first. I try glasses on and note which shapes and sizes work for me. Then I shop on the cheap glasses sites to find similar frames. I use the app on the company's site to photoshop the glasses onto a picture of me to get a general idea of how they'd look. I then order 2-4 pairs at total cost of less than $100. I wear the pair I like best and then have several extras.

One time, I didn't love any of the three pairs I got. So I ordered two more. My total investment was still $150.

I do not understand why someone would do it the other way. If you like brand logos, maybe.
    edited May 2018
    I didn't say it made financial sense. In spite of what classical economics say, I know that people (myself included) aren't very rational. Most of us don't think too much about these kinds of expenses.

I bought my two pairs in a bricks and mortar store back when the internet wasn't yet an option, by the way. They were cheap, one of those two-fer-one dealies when the store was getting rid of unsold inventory. I was quite broke back then.

If i ever lose or break them, I'll probably go online.
    edited May 2018
    I checked those specs websites and, of course, the internets are now showing me a shitload of ads for glasses.
    edited May 2018
    Anyway, to me, the point of that guardian article about specs wasn't that whe're paying too much for our glasses. Specs are a rip-off because that business is a near monopoly: that's modern global capitalism is a nutshell.
  • captqitncaptqitn Posts: 3,624
    Yes. We are racing toward the exact problems we had at the beginning of the 20th century in terms of monopolies. We need a Teddy Roosevelt to come along soon.
    edited May 2018
    Hey, anybody know how a brother might get keys to the "Intellectual Dark Web"?

I've been told that, if I go there, I may encounter all manner of ideas that can only be found in places such as major newspapers and shit. Sounds exciting! I mean, it must be a very scary place, like, monster cereal scary!
  • captqitncaptqitn Posts: 3,624
    YOU DONT WANNA GO THERE, MAN.
    edited May 2018
    It's the haunted house of zombie notions and trite ideas! Warning: those easily nauseated approach with caution!
    edited May 2018
    I got tickets for Car Seat Headrest for September.

I actually got tickets for Middle Kids next month, but I didn't realize I have a conflict and now I'm screwed on those. I don't think I can get my money back or sell/transfer them.
    Scott Hutchison from Frightened Rabbit has been found dead:
    http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-44079462
    He seems to have basically written a song 10 years ago about committing suicide in the exact body of water in which he was found.

I'm not a cat person or a weed person and I'm rarely a meme person but this made me laugh out loud

32313541_10156335515019183_6050159450205978624_n.jpg
    717 x 740 - 69K