Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You guys just made me laugh out loud with your Mr. Obvious answers!

Comments

• captqitncaptqitn Posts: 3,624
    Possibly already mentioned, because it's my favorite time of year, but we're doing the 48 Hour Film challenge. At 6:30 tonight we find out our genre and all the required elements.

Very happy-flavored anxious over here.
  • moetownmoetown Posts: 3,276
    I got nuttin'.
  • LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 7,989
    I dunno, I kinda like long-haired hippie Evan. Am I the only one?
  • Jurf_WurburJurf_Wurbur Posts: 5,475
    My company just rebranded a bunch of our stuff, but is being kinda half-assed rolling it out. It came up today they hadn't trademarked anything at all.

Out of curiosity, I checked to see if the [newbrand].com domain was registered. It was not.

So I bought it.
    Looking good, Ev!

Kind of blew your chance to get in on that sweet J Mascis impersonator money though.
    Are you still ripped, Ev? Between that and the makeover, you are primed to hit the dating circuit. You look great.
    edited June 2018
    Hey, thanks for the compliments. I’m not what I would call ‘ripped,’ but I’m still doing my work out 4 times a week. I’ve been pretty disciplined for about 2 years now, so I probably look like I’m in shape.
  • matthewmatthew Posts: 419
    Wanted to check in from Europe, but Internet was shit.

Went back to Berlin, visited Amsterdam and Hamburg for the first time. Fell deeply in love with Hamburg. Loved Berlin before, but it is nothing compared to Hamburg.

Most surreal moment of the trip... my 40th birthday in Amsterdam: the restaurant we had aimed for turned out to be a bust and we walked a kilometer in the rain to a small Indian restaurant. Half way into the meal I noticed a man come out of the bathroom beside us...he looked familiar, like a rock dude of years past. The next time I saw him I thought, "Christ, that guy really looks like Lenny Kaye." My eyes followed him back to his table as I continued my conversation. It was then that I realized that his dinner date looked exactly like Patti Smith.

I said to my dinner partner, "Wait, no, is that Patti Smith? It can't be." It was Patti Smith and Lenny Kaye, they were playing a show a block away within an hour. It was too much for my love to sit back and watch me observe them from afar and I eventually walked over and spoke to them. Both Smith and Kaye were positively beatific in their response (especially given my nervous babbling). I must have mentioned my birthday because Patti Smith wished me a happy birthday, and Lenny Kaye told me that it was the best decade to be had, but my only intention was to describe to them how surreal it was that I was even talking with them... it was a very weird moment... to be talking to Lenny Kayne and Patti Smith in Amsterdam in late May 2018 in a major rainstorm in a small Indian restaurant.... but it was just right.

I don't know what to say other than it was strangely perfect. It wasn't a big deal, but it was incredibly poignant. They were both so gentle and genuine. There was nothing spectacular about it, but Lenny Kaye shaking my hand and telling me that the 40s were the best decade to be had almost made me cry.

Truly weird, unexpected moment.
    I love that story, Matt! By the way, in case you missed it, happy 40th birthday.
    Matthew, happy 40th. Thanks for that groovy story.
    I'm looking forward to seeing the Morrison clan's 48 hour film.
    Supreme Court Upholds Ohio’s Purge of Voting Rolls
    The court ruled that a state may kick people off the rolls if they skip a few elections and fail to respond to a notice from state election officials. The vote was 5 to 4, with the more conservative justices in the majority.
    Someone making fun of Elon Musk:
    "My transportation plan: a tunnel from my house to a dozen of my favorite destinations, with a little choo choo car. Anyone can ride it, if they can figure out how to get into my basement. I hope the government funds this."
    Matthew, that is a hell of a way to start your 40s. Pretty sure that's good luck.
    Movie making was super fun.

But we randomly drew the absolute two worst genres. We literally were making jokes about how fucked we would be if we chose these. Martial Arts and Romance.

After a period of panic, we came up with a decent little meta script about a group of kids making a bad martial arts movie for a 48 hours film contest, with two of the crew members falling in love along the way.
    I've been listening to the audiobook version of Kitchen Confidential. It's really as good as its rep. I've been smiling almost the whole book.
    I kinda want to read Bourdain's later stuff now to track his progression from charming but overly macho chef bro to the more complex person he became later.
    Whoah. (to the chick drummer)
    edited June 2018
    One would think a ‘we have always been at trade war with Canada/North Korea is our friend’ switcheroo would take some serious philosophical spin-doctoring to pull off. But no, as far as I can see, out there in conservatopia, that was not a problem, they went for it without much of a hitch.
    I know it's been said a hundred times, but seriously, the silence of the Republican party is absolutely chilling. I thought even the scummiest of senators would speak up if real damage were being done to the country.
    edited June 2018
    Talking about the quietness of certain people...

U.S. government posts $147 billion deficit in May

Wow, have you noticed? The news is just dominated by fretting deficit hawks!!!!

Funny how we only hear about deficits when the dems are in charge...

• KimKim Posts: 624
    Happy Belated Matthew! That is the coolest story for any rock music fan! Patti is my spirit animal!

Made me smile with the topic.

I never saw any pics of Evan except with long hair!

All of Bourdain’s books are good Jeff. I’ve read them all. Too sad his gf is wiccan.

All of you guys are the best fathers. Have a special weekend if I don’t get back on here by then!
    I can’t post a link, but the live version of Tonight I’ll Be Staying Here With You on the Bootleg Series Vol. 5 is one of the most exciting Bob Dylan performances my ears have ever had the pleasure of experiencing. I suggest you seek it out.
    This one?

Yes!
    I rediscover the amazingness of Bob Dylan a couple of times a year.
    I woke up to computer issues. Fucker isn’t able to start up.