Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dude, you are straight up handsome.

LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 8,009
Time for a new thread!

Comments

• moetownmoetown Posts: 3,278
    I need to figure out how to meet smart, attractive women. There aren’t any on the internet.
  • LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 8,009
    edited June 2018
    The internets make you stupid. It is known.
    I'm feeling lazy, so I'll just post a cartoon.
    TMW2018-06-20color.png
    915 x 847 - 157K
    edited June 2018
    Really, I must make an effort to listen to people who think it's cool to take kids from their parents and put them in cages. I must open a dialogue, be their friend, acknowledge their points of view... You know, bridge the divide.
  • Jurf_WurburJurf_Wurbur Posts: 5,497
    I just can't even deal with this shit anymore.

In my personal life, I'm just trying extra hard to make more immigrant friends, give more when I can to help, and spend more money in immigrant-owned businesses. this weekend, we tried an arepas place and had a grand time. That's a pretty low effort way to help, but it's not like I can go bust up kiddie concentration camps like Rambo, so I don't know what else to do.
    The Incredibles 2 was good. It's classic sequel, though: recycles some of the same plot points from the first one with negligible twists (Being an undercover super when supers are illegal! But it's Helen now!), bigger, more elaborate action scenes, some funny callbacks (of course Edna is back), etc. If the first one is an A+, this is more like a straight B. It exists in a zone where no one whose age reaches double digits will say it's as good, but I doubt many people will complain either. It's a fun movie.
    People aren't being oversensitive about the strobe light effect though. It's really jarring and borderline painful even if you don't have issues with migraines or seizures. If you do, you should probably skip this movie. For real. It's intense and it's recurring.
  • captqitncaptqitn Posts: 3,629
    Yah. We loved it. But it was all about the execution. Didn't have the same wow factor as the first one. But that's pretty much true of all Pixar movies. Revealing an entire world is always going to be more amazing than returning to a fave. No matter how much you like it.

The Voice had a good review that pointed out a lot of what was in the first Incredibles was absorbed into super hero movies in general especially the MCU, so it's not as surprising as it was the first time around.
    edited June 2018
    Superheroes movies can be the exception to that rule, though. In some of the better sequels, they actually surpass the original, because they've dispensed with the legwork of the origin and they're free to explore just the promise of the premise. X2, Spider-Man 2, Superman II... it's no slam dunk, but it can be done.

That said, I'm not about to complain about The Incredibles 2. It was a half step down from the first, but that still makes it one of the most enjoyable films I've seen all year.
    Totally.
    edited June 2018
    The raccoon is the best part of the movie by far, by our family's collective reckoning.
    Anyone into Jeff Lemire? I checked out Roughneck from the library. Before that I read Trillium. He also writes the comic books, Black Hammer and Animal Man. I’m sure you comics dudes know a lot more about him, but I just discovered him. The point is, I like the stuff I’ve read.
    US launches bid to find citizenship cheaters

Oh my gawd! America is under attack by malevolent immigrants who cause dangerous harm by finding ways to live in the US!

Meanwhile, my local newspaper reports the results of an opinion poll were something like half of the Quebecers who answered it think immigration is either "a danger" or a "great danger" to Quebec.

I'm a naturalized immigrant. This kind of crap fucks my shit right up!
    Keep your head down. Blend in. Don't my eye contact with anyone.
    Today is my last day for a 4 week stretch. Haven't not worked for that long of a stretch since the days of Home tours.

Going to squeeze in some fun over the next few days at Ocean City and DC and our local New Music festival. Then A_____ gets his back surgery next Tuesday and I'll be looking after him for three weeks.

He seems like he's dealing it pretty well. Doesn't want to talk much about it, just wants to get it behind him.

Despite the very high success numbers for this type of surgery, I'm feeling tense. Sort of like when you are standing safely a couple fees from the edge of a tall cliff. It highly unlikely you'll fall, but if you did, it would be catastrophic.

That article scares the shit outta me. Their sphere of targets is pretty close to including my wife, if it does not already.
    PMAs in advance for your boy for his surgery, capn.
    edited June 2018
    This one made me guffaw:
    34699638_2094842234134307_8923224071349469184_n.jpg
    480 x 584 - 39K
    We're going to go to the Chicago march on June 30th. I'm getting real "First they came for..." vibes with this whole thing, and it's hitting pretty close to home. We're going and taking Simon, too.
    Go cat go! I hope this is a harbinger of things to come.
    On a lighter note, we saw Ocean's 8 last night and it's fun. It's the same kind of airy, upbeat, somewhat clever heist film as the Soderbergh series of films. It slots in several ticks below 11, way better than 12, a little higher than 13. It is in no way necessary/essential, jut as those films weren't. But it's a pretty good time.
    Good on you for going to the march. I hope all the protesting and public outrage has some kind of positive result.
    edited June 2018
    Now the media will declare it solved and move on, and all the other shit ICE is responsible for will keep happening out of sight.
    edited June 2018
    His solution is bullshit and will force a court battle. He's saying he will keep the parents together with their kids, but in doing so, that means he will be detaining children indefinitely when the law says he can only do so for 20 days. He's trying to con people into being excited to see immigrants jailed indefinitely with their kids for a fucking misdemeanor.
  • KimKim Posts: 624
    Best wishes A and Eric on his surgery
    Man, it just gets worse and worse.

No one seems to be into comics around here lately. I’ve been reading a ton of them. One that I didn’t know about before is Justice League Dark. I don’t love it, but I’ve liked it enough to have read the first 4 volumes.

Also, Dick Grayson is now a gay super spy.
    edited June 2018
    Jeff Lemire wrote the Teen Titans earth One books, I think. I haven't read 'em but my kid thinks they're great and his taste in superhero stuff is usually rock solid.
    Actually, all of the Earth One books we've read have been very popular in our house.