Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mom is french.

Comments

• KimKim Posts: 624
    Sounds awesome and Matilda’s gnocchi sounded like the bomb

Dan, Oneida was soooo good. I remembered you said you liked them a long time ago

Sending PMA’s today Evan. I hope it’s over with today but if it isn’t you can get thru.

• moetownmoetown Posts: 3,276
    edited July 2018
    I'm really enjoying Tony Molina lately. One last smoke and then off to mediation. I'll be suckin' up any PMAs that happen to be floating around.
    Thanks, Ms. Kim!
  • captqitncaptqitn Posts: 3,624
    John (Kid) is my buddy. If you are serious, I will mention the Joyful Noise thing to him.
    bazooka'ing them your way, Ev.
  • Jurf_WurburJurf_Wurbur Posts: 5,475
    SO MANY PMA'S, SIR.
    PMA’s x infinity

Yeah tell him Eric to ask for monthly Royalty Statements with detail for all accounts. Kishi Bashi and Son Lux got raped on commercial syncs of about $750,000

I talked to kid because I bought their new vinyl and he liked my Sweet Knives T-shirt. They are from Memphis and Alicia Trout is in the band
    edited July 2018
    One strange thing that happened yesterday at mediation was that we switched cars. Now my ride is a 2014 black Prius hatchback. Honestly, I Iiked driving my 2009 beater much more than this car.
    Weird. Did she request the beater? How did that transpire?
    And how are you feeling overall about how things went down?
    I'ma take a wild guess and say she requested no car payment. Or a lower payment/insurance. Or gave it to him as some kind of asset balance against something else she wanted.
    I think I finally realized why I've come to hate The Walking Dead.

Zombies, at least since Romero, represent a fear that the unthinking masses will be the death of us. In Night of the Living Dead, they represent how our own class consciousness and prejudices can make us tear each other apart. Then in Dawn of the Dead, they represent the fear that consumer culture will end with us destroying each other. The various Body Snatchers movies represent the fear that groupthink (red scare in the early one, new age woo in the 70s version) is already setting us against each other, quietly, without being obvious.

The Walking Dead is the grimmest and worst because it shifts the fear into what will happen to us if we don't have the gumption to shout Fuck you, got mine! while it's early enough to still count. This is why there is such a tremendous overlap between gun nuts and zombie apocalypse role players: both groups see a moral high ground for those willing to kill and hoard to make sure they come out on top, a sort of moral imperative to throw aside community, empathy, and common decency when you think it's in your immediate best interests.

It's fucking gross. And not even my love of horror stuff or serialized tv can get me to tolerate it anymore.
    Well now I kinda wish I watched the show so I could engage in this train of thought.
    S____ accidentally signed up for Prime, so we're trying to digest as much as we can before we have to unsubscribe.

Started with The Marvelous Mrs. Meisel. The beginning of ep 1 was a little tough. The marriage was just so lopsided intellectually, it didn't make sense. But by the time things "break" I found myself enjoying the snappy Palladino dialogue and upbeat attitude. So we will keep on it.
    Any other must-see Prime shows?
    edited August 2018
    Patriot! Not much love in mass media, despite being well regarded critically.

This is probably because show you'd expect from the title and plot description is wildly different tonally from the actual program.

The plot, from Wikipedia: To prevent Iran from going nuclear, intelligence officer John Tavner must forgo all safety nets and assume a perilous non-official cover ("NOC") — that of a mid-level employee at a Milwaukee industrial piping firm.

The actual show: a chronically depressed folk-singing stoner reluctantly re-enters the family business: espionage. His mission is to infiltrate a desperately boring industrial firm long enough to deliver a bag of money in Luxembourg. Due to his comparative incompetence at this cover job and a series of bits of bad luck, he fails spectacularly, with quickly snowballing complications. Co-stars Terry O'Quinn as his actual father and Kurtwood Smith as his would-be father figure/tormentor at the piping company.

This show is darkly fucking hilarious.

As a taster, consider one of his folk songs, virtually all of which are hilariously literal recountings of both his personal mental state and his exact actions in intelligence.

Season one is up in its entirety and season two wrapped recently/wraps soon on production and has added Debra Fucking Winger to the cast as John's mom. And if bringing Debra Winger out of retirement isn't an endorsement of a show, I sincerely don't know what fucking is.
    Wow. Ok. I would never have attempted to watch that show in a million years without that explanation.

Will check it.
    It's a droll comedy dressed up like a dead serious spy thriller. We enjoyed the heck out of it and are looking forward to the second season.
    My ex got the beater because she wanted the cash for the car all at once instead of however many months of payments I had agreed to make. She got more than I expected, but it could've been worse. She's not entitled to any of my teacher pension if I live long enough to ever get it. I also have the house.
    We were supposed to get all our shit out of the cars. The interior of the Prius was totally trashed plus she left some photos of herself and her boyfriend for me to find. Wasn't that so sweet of her?
  • LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 7,989
    What kind of photos? Dirty ones?
    Are you okay with how things turned out, Evan?
    edited August 2018
    I'm okay with it. I can't do anything to fix it, so I'm choosing to be ok with it. I don't wanna be one of those guys who continually gripes about how much his ex-wife swindled out of him.

The photos were not sexual selfies.
    I think that is probably the best thing to do. The sooner you can fully let go of the marriage, the sooner you can start working on your next act.

Glad it wasn't an absolute shit-show as I guess these sometimes can be.
    Are you going to be able to afford to keep your house?
    That’s a good question. We will see.
    To answer the question Eric is gonna ask in advance, this weekend, we're going to do a pirate-themed family obstacle course through the park district tomorrow. And maybe see a movie or so. Tilda wants to see The Spy Who Dumped Me and Simon wants to see Christopher Robin. So I'll see one of those, most likely.

Ooh, and tonight I'm going to fit out my workshop with pegboards and shit, proper middle-aged dad style.
    Hey, what's everybody doi.....

God damn it, Jeff.
    Pirate activity sounds very solid.

Are you going to draw outlines of the tools that will go on the pegs, so that you know what tool goes where?