Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

She may be the first congresswoman I’ve ever thought was sexy.

Comments

• captqitncaptqitn Posts: 3,624
    Wow. You don't have to flex on us quite so hard.
  • Jurf_WurburJurf_Wurbur Posts: 5,475
    edited July 2019
    Mekons are at the Square Roots Festival tomorrow. Murder by Death will be there too. I only know one of their records, but I like them enough to see them at a fest.
    Did I tell y'all we limewashed the brick on our house? It was the saddest, ugliest 1960's suburban red brick. Now it's whitewashed.

Looks good, but the green shutters and accent paint look extra horrible now. So we'll be painting those this weekend. Once that is done, I'll post pics.
    If you run into the drummer, Steve Goulding, please tell him I said hi.
    I hate that effect. You pour sweat into getting something all snazzed up and it immediately makes you realize the thing next to it now looks like ass.
    edited July 2019
    Will do, if possible. At most Mekons shows, running into band members is easy and expected. At this fest, I think there may be a proper backstage though, so maybe not this time.
    edited July 2019
    The Netflix film Wine Country is one of those insubstantial flicks where the cast seems to be having a blast even if it doesn't amount to much. I'm happy I saw it though because their running joke "Things we say now" is useful and good for us olds.

Sample use.

"I brought some Molly."
    "Not sure how that will react with my Lipitor."
    "Things we say now!"
    What band did you and Steve play together in?
    Megan Reilly
  • LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 7,989
    edited July 2019
    Last night, wifey and I sat on our balcony and sipped amaretto sours. We felt very adult.
  • moetownmoetown Posts: 3,276
    I just had my upstairs bathroom redone
    and got new flooring for the hallway. Yep, the rest of the house looks extra ugly now.
    And Acosta is gone!
    I sold half of my Amazon shares. I had to sell a lot of stuff to pay off the ex, and I was left with 10 shares of amazon. I have 10k to invest in something. I haven’t been researching any stocks, so I’m not sure what would be a sound investment at the moment. It didn’t seem wise to have what few eggs I had left stuck in one basket.
    I’m going to Dallas again today. I plan on sipping vino and playing sloppy guitar with my friend.
    Excellent plan!
    Sloppy guitar is the best guitar. Do you want investment advice from us, Ev?
    Ever since the Beanie Baby market tanked, I don't offer my financial opinions anymore. I hurt a lot of good honest people.
    edited July 2019
    You tried to corner the Beanie Baby market, you wanted to be a Beanie Baby tycoon! But alas! The market giveth and the market taketh away. Your hubris was punished. No more Beanie Babies for you.
    I don't know what I expected a porcupine to sound like but it wasn't this:

I’m not really looking for investment advice, but if you’ve got an investment tip, throw it at me and I’ll do some research. Amazon was the only stellar investment I’ve made, and I had to give so much of it away. I took some really stupid risks with some other companies that didn’t turn out very well. I haven’t thought about investing in quite a while. I just don’t want to do anything stupid.
    Plastics, Ev. There's a great future in plastics.
    edited July 2019
    I've just realized that I forgot to wish my brother an happy birthday...

The last time I saw my brother, I left with a really bad impression of him. I guess the death of my dad finally broke the few remaining links I had with my family.
    Ugh. Siblings.
    edited July 2019
    They can suck, am I right or am I right?

Thing is, if you see them regularly, you can adapt to whatever they have become, 'cause you can see them change piecemeal.

But I hadn't really been I contact with him for something close to a decade. When I finally saw him again, last year, I was like "ugh, douchebag".

That, on top of other problems I already had with him (he stiffed me regarding a flat belonging to my dead mom), made me wander if I was really related to the guy. Maybe's he's adopted. Or I'm adopted.
    edited July 2019
    I also have a half-brother living in the old country, my father had children from a previous marriage. I was close to him when he lived in Montreal, and then he moved back to the old country. We saw them when we visited last year. I had a surreal conversation with his current girlfriend, who informed me that Montreal is a hellhole with horrible climate, "how can anyone live there"? When I tactfully tried to correct her, she dug in and looked peeved.

Kind of an impolite thing to say to someone who has lived most of his life in Montreal, is married to a Montrealer and has a kid who was born in Montreal.

I guess she must be worried that her man (my half-brother) may want to go back to Montreal someday.
    Every year, I lose touch with more members of my blood-relations family and promote a few friends to the status of "basically family."
    Outside of my mom and sister, I basically have no contact with my family. I lent a cousin some money about 15 or so years ago and never heard from him again. He eventually went to a federal prison, but I'm not sure why. Probably for duping people into giving him money. I think he may get out next year.

I'm kinda burned out on superhero movies, but I just watched Captain Marvel. The only Marvel movie I haven't seen is the most recent Spider-Man. I'm pretty sure I'll end up seeing that one at some point, too.
    edited July 2019
    We watched most of Bohemian Rhapsody last night and I suppose will finish it today. It's fine. A by the numbers music biopic with terrific music (obviously).

Rami Malek's dental piece in the role of Freddie Mercury's overbite seemed to be the star in the director's eye, which was weird.

I did think the way they did the singing for Malek/Mercury was extremely well done. It always felt like it was simultaneously both live singing really coming from Malek and authentically Mercury. Looking it up, it seems they digitally mixed Malek with real Mercury tracks and live tracks by a similar singer. Nice technique. Avoids the imitation distraction you get in pics like The Doors or that Hank Williams biopic with Loki. Also avoids the canned voice coming from a mismatched body effect you get in Great Balls of Fire or La Bamba.

It felt like the movie played his sexuality as him being essentially gay but using the pretense of bisexuality and how it fit into the glam/rock vibe of the time to help him cope/fit in. I don't know his life story or have a sophisticated enough understanding of the LGBT climate of the time to have an informed opinion on that.
    edited July 2019
    capn... (And anyone else who might know)...

Our piano sounds mostly fine, but if it's quiet you can hear a wobbly little sound when a key is released... Kinda like a muffled clock tick. Is my piano just old or is that a thing that can be adjusted?