Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If this doesn't sound good to you... well okay. We are very different people.

Comments

• TrippTripp Posts: 676
    Stan is doing much better with all that stuff. Did you know he became a dad again? At age 52? He has a daughter named Mia and she's about the cutest thing you ever did see.
  • LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 8,056
    I'm sure you guys were sounding pretty sweet. Stivers is a pretty solid guitar player, better than Dave, I think.
    edited January 2020
    At 52?! Damn! I didn't know. Congrats Stan! I don't think I would have the energy to do that again, and I'm younger than Stan.
  • captqitncaptqitn Posts: 3,637
    So this lineup will go on to do more stuff?
    The Antenna show went so well we decided to go ahead and book another show so we could do a full set so we added Bummer, Wreck, Rats, Hours, and I'm Drunk. We did the show at DKDC where Scott now tends bar. Scott got divorced again but he's back in Midtown at the exact epicenter of everything hip in Memphis right now. So Scott's BACK baby! The DKDC show was pretty sloppy. I was sorta apologizing to a few people afterwards and everyone said "That's what we like about you guys! No other band does what yall do!" and I was like " you mean forget how to play their own songs that they've been playing for 25 years? And aren't that hard?" People said they like the way it falls apart then somehow comes back together. I kept saying I wish people could see band practice because shit's pretty tight there. SO for our next show I want to try to conduct it like practice. Have everyone face inward and be somewhat more informal. THAT show is in Feb also at DKDC. On Scott's birthday.
    edited January 2020
    Talking about divorce... I've just learned that my brother is getting married, which surprised the shit out of me, I mean, the guy is (or was) obsessed with poon tang, a serial cheater and apparently incapable of being in a stable relationship. Well, he has been with the same German girl for at least three or fours years now, they bought a house in the 'burbs of Paris and they are getting married soon. In a Wally Shawn voice: INCONCEIVABLE!
    YEah, like on the song SAIN when Dave comes in with that great angular Dave solo... John didn't even try to replicate it. He just did a beautiful Stivers solo and it was freaking awesome.
    Congrats to your brother.
    edited January 2020
    Tripp, I saw you guys play two or three times back in the nineties, and yeah, you never sounded like the records, you guys had a looseness that made your shows surprising and always a treat! It was like watching someone walk a tightrope. I've been to plenty of shows were the band tries to recreate the recording to their best, and they're usually pretty boring.
    How many times has Scott been married?
    That's true. I went to see Autolux a few years ago and it sounded exactly like the records. Amazing they can do that but also kinda boring.
    We're gonna keep adding to the set though. The way we see it the entire catalog is fair game but we probably won't do stuff that is super-Dave-centric like Spaced Out or Meanwhile, as much as I'd like to do some of that stuff.
    Congrats to your brother.
    Eh, thanks... But I still have trouble believing it will last long.
    Scott's been married twice.
    That's true. I went to see Autolux a few years ago and it sounded exactly like the records. Amazing they can do that but also kinda boring.
    Yeah, what's the point? I mean, I have a pretty loud hi-fi at home. Maybe not soundstage volume, but I can always sit really near to the speakers. Or crank it on headphones.
    After the last show at DKDC this dude came up and offered us $5000 to do a show this June. I was like "you realize it'll be this line-up and probably be just as sloppy." He had no problem with that. So we'll see.
    edited January 2020
    Ehhhh, sorry to say, but that sounds too good to be true. Anyway, I hope it works. Cash in on the nostalgia, dude! If you tell Dave about the 5000 bucks, he'll probably want in.
    We haven't really talked to Dave about any of this stuff although he did reach out to Scott and said something like "Tripp and Stan will probably be happier being in the band without me." Dave and I don't have any bad blood anymore which is good. I don't know if I ever told yall this but in 2016 Dave told us he wanted to carry on with a different drummer. I DID tell you that. I remember. So now the bad blood is between Dave and Stan. Ha! I saw Dave at Savannah's wedding last year and we had a fine time catching up with each other. I really don't think Dave has any interest in playing guitar rock anymore. Which is too bad. I think if he put together a band and played a bunch of stuff from grifters to TBS to BTL people would go nuts for it. Hell, I might even want to be in that band. But I don't think he'll ever do that.
    Jesus. What's trump talking about now?
    You're going to help the palestinians. Sure.
    I'm down with Bernie fwiw.
    edited January 2020
    It is too bad that Dave doesn't want to do guitar rock anymore, he can be pretty good at it. I can sympathise with Stan regarding Dave, but I think he's being a bit too harsh, maybe? If I recall correctly, Stan couldn't drum properly for a while. I dunno how tactful Dave was about it, though...
    edited January 2020
    Jesus. What's trump talking about now?
    Dunno, I stopped paying attention sometime ago.
    Also got there. Was happy about a few of them. Then down to him and Warren. Now I think he's the one best suited to pull off the major changes that either happen now or we all gonna die. I mean we all gonna die no matter what, but we all gonna die together.
    edited January 2020
    I think Bernie is probably the one who can most easily beat President Caligula Minus. But even if Sanders wins, problems won't stop. In countries were democracy is weak and the population is strongly polarized, when the opposition wins an election, the losing party usually has trouble accepting the results.
    ..also they love guns.
    ..also they love guns.
    That too, also.
    It is too bad that Dave doesn't want to do guitar rock anymore, he can be pretty good at it. I can sympathise with Stan regarding Dave, but I think he's maybe being a bit too harsh? If I recall correctly, Stan couldn't drum properly for a while. I dunno how tactful Dave was about it, though...

He might still want to rock. I don't know. He's still working on Mancontrol which is all sounds created by waving your hands over light-triggers.
    Tripp, have you watched Star Trek Picard? I thought the first episode was pretty good.
    Grifters with Stivers on guitar and Dave on keys! That would be awesome!