Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I doubt we're actually going to Graceland

Comments

• On a scale of 0 (no big deal) to 10 (divorce), how irresponsible would it be for me to take my nine and a half year-old to the Car Seat Headrest show on Friday? I can't find a sitter and the show is all ages. Given how much fun we had this weekend, I'm wondering if we should just father-son it and go to this one together.

He'd mos def hear some f-bombs, but it's at the Riviera. So if we get there early enough, we can balcony it and I can make sure he wears ear plugs.
  • captqitncaptqitn Posts: 3,635
    You absolutely should. My boys remember nearly every rock show I took them to when they were little. As long as it's smoke-free and you have earplugs, do it up.
  • Jurf_WurburJurf_Wurbur Posts: 5,510
    edited September 2018
    I appreciate you giving me your take. You're a good dad and I know you do right by your boys.

Pretty positive we are going.

I think the main thing will be keeping just this side of dehydrated so he doesn't have to navigate a rock show bathroom.
  • Horror watchers: make sure you check out Ghoul on Netflix. It's a three episode "Netflix original." It's a co-production with an Indian company and it's in Hindi but even if you're not okay with subtitles, it's worth seeing, as the dubbing is really well-done, with the same actors using their actual accents.

• LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 8,023
    edited September 2018
    If the show starts and ends at a reasonable hour, I say do it, Jeff. Does your kid know the band and the songs?

I've never taken little S. to a rock show, mostly because they tend to finish too late, and also because we don't have a band we both like, but she has been to classical music concerts, and she seemed to have enjoyed them. But I made sure she knew the pieces being played before she went.
  • Simon has a working familiarity with CSH. I can maybe work to push that up a bit though.
  • KimKim Posts: 624
    He, Simon would prob dig just going to a concert! My boys did
  • JESUS CHRIST I AM DONE WITH THIS JOB
  • How are you fine people?
    uh oh.
    Ok here. What did they do now?
    I'm back teaching again. Huzzah for me!
  • Nothing new at work, just having trouble bearing down and doing the job while feeling this ready to move on.

What are you teaching this year, Dan?
    The same stuff as last year: mineralogy and general geology.
    Rock stuff.
    What ch'all doin' this weekend?
    After back-to-back camping and NYC weekends, the dudes are going to stay in pennsylvania for back-to-school stuff.

Soooo... chores, football and sexytimes for me.
    oh and my buddy does an annual gig in the the parking lot of an AMAZING bbq place in town. So I'll do that tonight.
    Now I know how Paw Paw felt when nobody showed up for his hamburger party.
  • Here's to barbecue.

Going to spring Simon from after school care today so we can head downtown.
  • My boss--the super nice one I like--has a kid about Simon's age and, hearing I didn't have a sitter for last night, invited Simon to come play videogames all night. While I was about 60% sure he would have a good time at the Car Seat Headrest show, I didn't want to push my luck, so I chickened out.

CSH was great.

There were other kids there, but all of them 2-4 years older than Simon, so I ended up feeling like it was probably an okay call. I think I may take him to either Pitchfork or Riot Fest next year though.
    edited September 2018
    “It comes from a very ancient democracy, you see..."
    "You mean, it comes from a world of lizards?"
    "No," said Ford, who by this time was a little more rational and coherent than he had been, having finally had the coffee forced down him, "nothing so simple. Nothing anything like so straightforward. On its world, the people are people. The leaders are lizards. The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
    "Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
    "I did," said Ford. "It is."
    "So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't people get rid of the lizards?"
    "It honestly doesn't occur to them," said Ford. "They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates to the government they want."
    "You mean they actually vote for the lizards?"
    "Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
    "But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
    "Because if they didn't vote for a lizard," said Ford, "the wrong lizard might get in. Got any gin?"
    "What?"
    "I said," said Ford, with an increasing air of urgency creeping into his voice, "have you got any gin?"
    "I'll look. Tell me about the lizards."
    Ford shrugged again.
    "Some people say that the lizards are the best thing that ever happenned to them," he said. "They're completely wrong of course, completely and utterly wrong, but someone's got to say it."
    "But that's terrible," said Arthur.
    "Listen, bud," said Ford, "if I had one Altairian dollar for every time I heard one bit of the Universe look at another bit of the Universe and say 'That's terrible' I wouldn't be sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.”

Douglas Adams, So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
  • HOW WAS EVERYONE'S WEEKEND?
    Damn, Jeff. You took him to MineCraftCon? That is just dadding at a whole other level. I tip my hat.
  • Even the kids were bored of it after a few hours. They met the one YouTuber they knew/liked, saw some build battles, checked out the merch and got some stuff, played once on the special Con server, and a couple other things. But they were emphatically NOT down for waiting an hour to play VR Minecraft or 90 minutes to do an escape room.

They just wanted to go home and play Minecraft.
  • I still really really want to take Simon to a show soon, though, now that the idea is in my head. I'm probably glad I didn't do this show first though. Simon is only just now at the putting-his-tiptoe-in to adult content stage. Not sure how he would have reacted to say, the entire audience doing the "DRUGS ARE BETTER THAN FRIENDS ARE BETTER THAN DRUGS ARE BETTER..." singalong.

Also, I'd kind of like to start him with a fest, as there'd be more chance to back in and out as needed, and let him pick some bands/stages.
    Yes, I was going to suggest the outdoor approach. I brought the boys to a lot of Central Park/ Prospect Park/ McCarren Park Pool shows for just that reason. You can control the intensity level.
    We had a mini-monsoon Friday night so I didn't get my BBQ :(((

We were invited to go meet our friend new puppy on Saturday night. We didn't realize until we arrived that invites went out widely, so it turned into a dinner party with a bunch of my favorite Baltimoreans. An acoustic jam session broke out. Twas really a fun time.
  • That sounds fun. I'm hoping Simon's chops continue to improve and that when the opportunity to jam presents itself, he'll be ready.