Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Batman voice without the Batman

Comments

• LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 8,023
    $150,000 split 4 ways isn't exactly hooker and blow money. Probably most of it went to paying off debts, music equipment and practical shit like that. Maybe a nice meal or two.
    (Puts hands over ears)

Lalalala, can't hear you!
    The Great Molasses Flood, also known as the Boston Molasses Disaster or the Great Boston Molasses Flood, occurred on January 15, 1919 in the North End neighborhood of Boston, Massachusetts. A large molasses storage tank burst and a wave of molasses rushed through the streets at an estimated 35 mph (56 km/h), killing 21 and injuring 150. The event entered local folklore and for decades afterwards residents claimed that on hot summer days the area still smelled of molasses.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Molasses_Flood

Never forget!
  • moetownmoetown Posts: 3,287
    If only The Grifters had bought $150,000 worth of Amazon shares, they'd all be pretty well off now.
    The End of the F***ing World was good. I like that each episode clocks in at under 25 minutes.
  • Jurf_WurburJurf_Wurbur Posts: 5,510
    Anybody have good news? Something nice going on?

That stuff is nice to hear about sometimes.
    edited January 2018
    Simon got a Beatles for Solo Mandolin book and has been working on "Here Comes the Sun." That's been pretty neat.
    Anybody have good new news? Something nice going on?

For the last 2 Sundays, I've had "high tea" with a female friend. Nothing romantic or anything like that, but it's been nice. I hope we can do it again next Sunday.

That sounds nice, Evan.

I love tea. I drink an absurd amount of tea these days. I'd go on (and trust me, I could) but I'd end up being fantastically boring.
    Oh please, do tell!

I'm mostly partial to breakfast tea. I've never been a fan of Earl Grey, but if that's all that's offered I'll drink it.
    edited January 2018
    I love green tea, I drink litters of the stuff, I'm always sipping on it while I give a class. My favourite is probably Japanese Kukicha tea, which sounds fancy, but ain't. It's basically twig tea, it's made with parts of the plant that aren't usually in other teas. It's cheap, sweet tasting and relatively low in caffeine. I also like jasmin flavoured green tea.

As for black teas, anything with bergamot will probably make me happy. My favourite blend is called St-Petersburg, it's a russian black tea, a mixture of Earl Grey, caramel, and red berries.
    Dolores O'Riordan of Cranberries fame died. She was only 46!
    Yeah, I saw that. I wasn't a fan, and I found their hit song to be annoying, but 46 is too young. What do you think? Drugs? Murder? Some freaky health condition?
    An accident?
    The Illuminati?
    She had apparently canceled an upcoming tour because of back problems. So my guess is painkiller overdose.
    edited January 2018
    Or some weird sex related practice gone wrong.
    I hate it when I check my bank account and have less money than I thought. I think the deadline for property tax is the 25th and I get paid on the 24th. I think I’m going to be able to pull this off. I have about $1300 dollars less than I would have if Ex had managed to pay for car, insurance, and phone.
    Broke and alone, ain’t dis da life? Huh?! Ain’t dis da life?!
    edited January 2018
    "If I have to sing Zombie one more time, I'll kill myself."
  • KimKim Posts: 624
    edited January 2018
    Sorry that wasn’t good news

• captqitncaptqitn Posts: 3,635
    I love green tea, I drink litters of the stuff, I'm always sipping on it while I give a class. My favourite is probably Japanese Kukicha tea, which sounds fancy, but ain't. It's basically twig tea, it's made with parts of the plant that aren't usually in other teas. It's cheap, sweet tasting and relatively low in caffeine. I also like jasmin flavoured green tea.

As for black teas, anything with bergamot will probably make me happy. My favourite blend is called St-Petersburg, it's a russian black tea, a mixture of Earl Grey, caramel, and red berries.
    Take it to the Tea Isle, nerds.
    I have (no kidding) seven kinds of tea at my desk right now. I'm drinking a white tea with acai right now. I've got Irish Breakfast tea, Thai ginger tea, a couple of kinds of green tea...

(seriously considering a Tea Isle)
    with their tanks and their bombs and their bombs and their guns and their tanks and their bombs and their bombs and their guns and their tanks and their bombs and their bombs and their guns and their tanks and their bombs and their bombs and their guns
  • captqitncaptqitn Posts: 3,635
    That awkward feeling when someone who supremely annoyed you dies.
  • TrippTripp Posts: 676
    edited January 2018
    Yes, the grifters got $150,000 for the first record. We got $200,000 for FBP. Here's the thing. Our Lawyer got most of that money. And the rest of the money goes to paying for studio time. Plus after signing we bought a van and then a trailer. So when all was said and done I pocketed about $5000. And even though we got paid more for FBP, Subpop forced us to spend a shit-ton on a mixing/engineer. Before he came to memphis I was talking to him on the phone and he was telling me he felt like we didn't really need him, that we seem to have been doing fine on our own. So I call Joyce in an effort to save the label some money and she bit my head off and told me we were using the damn mixer. PERIOD! Plus, for the mixer we had to buy time at House of Blues studio here in town. That wasn't cheap. So with FBP once again we each end up making about $5000 apiece. Granted we were touring a lot and made a good amount that way (couldn't tell you a number).
    I saw that quote from Pavitt a couple or more years ago and I responded in whatever comments section there was. May have been on a subpop site, I don't recall. But I pointed out that the whole time we were with subpop WE NEVER EVEN MET PAVITT. We asked when we would meet him and were told that he just hangs out in his house in the mountains and occasionally just sends in a band that he had just signed. They said "anyone remember Chixdiggit?". So my response in the comments was basically 'if Pavitt was so worried about losing money on us why didn't he come down from the mountain and make sure he made his money back?'. In fact ( and I've bitched about this before) subpop seemed to fumble the ball at every single step to ensure that we DID lose money.
    Then right as FBP was about to come out a bunch of people left subpop in what was called a mutiny. My understanding of what happened and I could be wrong was that subpop was trying to lose money so they could get out of their deal with Warners or whoever it was. So, subpop may have pulled a "The Producers" with us.
    Studio time etc for AML was probably around $40,000. FBP was probably more like $60,000. Maybe a little more.
    For FBP they told us we had to have a mixer to ensure it was radio-friendly. I was like 'yeah, but you're not even getting behind a single! Who cares?' I think Wicked Thing was the single. No idea why. I think it was Wicked Thing and Re-entry Blues.. ?
    edited January 2018
    There was barely any press push from Sub Pop for you guys *locally* so I knew it had to be nonexistent nationally.